Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by P!ssed Off » 04 Dec 2013 00:29

MmmMonsterMunch
P!ssed Off
Ian Royal You'd have to be a total bellend to argue that what a manager does after leaving reading has any bearing on measuring their success in relation to Reading. Rodgers could go on to win every tournament he enters with Liverpool for the next 20 years and he'll still not be in our top 10 managers because his performance here was poor.

Doesn't mean he can't be successful elsewhere or a good manager. Doesn't mean he can't be the most succesful manager to have ever managed reading. But that's not the point. That's not being Reading's most successful / greatest / best manager. It's just a coincidence that he's also managed us.

It's like saying Les Ferdinand is our most successful ever player (for example). Bollocks.

Saying Les Ferdinand is the most successful player to have played for Reading wouldn't be total bollocks though would it.
btw terrible cameo on MOTD at the weekend.

Yes it would. Martin Keown? :wink:

tbf they came to Reading as a pair, therefore it would only be right to make them joint winners.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 04 Dec 2013 00:32

In terms of honours won in the game, Keown must be Reading's most 'decorated' player though?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Dec 2013 00:34

MmmMonsterMunch In terms of honours won in the game, Keown must be Reading's most 'decorated' player though?

I can't be dealing with such hypotheticals, I've an essay due 9am tomorrow, need to crack on.
Good night hobnob.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 04 Dec 2013 07:25

MmmMonsterMunch In terms of honours won in the game, Keown must be Reading's most 'decorated' player though?

Ray Houghton would run him close.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Dec 2013 09:18

Woodcote Royal just finding he is far too busy for HNA? at the moment. Hopefully he will come fo(u)rth with his opinions soon enough.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Dec 2013 11:03

P!ssed Off
Ian Royal You'd have to be a total bellend to argue that what a manager does after leaving reading has any bearing on measuring their success in relation to Reading. Rodgers could go on to win every tournament he enters with Liverpool for the next 20 years and he'll still not be in our top 10 managers because his performance here was poor.

Doesn't mean he can't be successful elsewhere or a good manager. Doesn't mean he can't be the most succesful manager to have ever managed reading. But that's not the point. That's not being Reading's most successful / greatest / best manager. It's just a coincidence that he's also managed us.

It's like saying Les Ferdinand is our most successful ever player (for example). Bollocks.

Saying Les Ferdinand is the most successful player to have played for Reading wouldn't be total bollocks though would it.
btw terrible cameo on MOTD at the weekend.

That is a different point entirely and again, I say I don't give a flying one what a player/manager/tea person does elsewhere.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 04 Dec 2013 11:12

Sanguine Woodcote Royal just finding he is far too busy for HNA? at the moment. Hopefully he will come fo(u)rth with his opinions soon enough.

But that means we'd have to lose first :(

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 04 Dec 2013 11:35

I'm pleased that after last night's result, we can finally put this to bed. For me, beating Charlton was the ultim8 test, and Nige has passed it (geddit?!) convincingly.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Dec 2013 12:13

Cureton's Volley
Sanguine Woodcote Royal just finding he is far too busy for HNA? at the moment. Hopefully he will come fo(u)rth with his opinions soon enough.

I just wanted to that my forth/fourth thing.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 04 Dec 2013 14:05

Sanguine
Cureton's Volley

I just wanted to that my forth/fourth thing.

It certainly deserved to be fitted in somewhere :)

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Dec 2013 10:20

The last two performances have shown an ineptitude that makes Rodgers tenure appear to be a period of sustained excellence.

What naffs me off the most is that Brian has taken a rag tag Leeds squad which is infinitely inferior to our one to just one point below us in the table after 19 games.

I honestly believe that the current RFC squad is the best one we have ever had and I have absolutely no doubt that if Brian was still our manager we would be top of the table now.

The Adkins apologists say the players are crap but this is not so. The problem is inconsistent team selection, baffling and constantly rotating formations and incomprehensible substitutions. The players look despondent and frankly confused.

Oh how I wish we could get Brian back but as that is not happening I think the best solution will be to sack Adkins and to persuade Dolan have a go - after all it is the Reading way...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Dec 2013 11:09

andrew1957 The last two performances have shown an ineptitude that makes Rodgers tenure appear to be a period of sustained excellence.

What naffs me off the most is that Brian has taken a rag tag Leeds squad which is infinitely inferior to our one to just one point below us in the table after 19 games.

I honestly believe that the current RFC squad is the best one we have ever had and I have absolutely no doubt that if Brian was still our manager we would be top of the table now.

The Adkins apologists say the players are crap but this is not so. The problem is inconsistent team selection, baffling and constantly rotating formations and incomprehensible substitutions. The players look despondent and frankly confused.

Oh how I wish we could get Brian back but as that is not happening I think the best solution will be to sack Adkins and to persuade Dolan have a go - after all it is the Reading way...

You know the irony of your post? You slate Adkins' team selection but our best two players this season in Guthrie and Pogrebnyak were frozen out by your mate. Bore off

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 08 Dec 2013 11:23

Royalee
andrew1957 The last two performances have shown an ineptitude that makes Rodgers tenure appear to be a period of sustained excellence.

You know the irony of your post? You slate Adkins' team selection but our best two players this season in Guthrie and Pogrebnyak were frozen out by your mate. Bore off

So the attitude of Guthrie and Pog played no part in their exclusion from the team then?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 08 Dec 2013 11:33

The lack of patience sometimes is astounding....

I'm as disappointed with anyone at some of these performances but by and large that's what you have to put up with when you want to transform a club's way of playing. It doesn't happen overnight and while it maybe shouldn't be quite this painful, Adkins has done a fairly decent job with an injury ravaged, low on confidence and rudderless at the top football club.

Of course Brian was going to do well at Leeds. He's taken a group used to playing at that level, having played a direct style under Warnock and a team who can quite easily play a style of football Brian knows does well in this division, helped by the ridiculously in form Ross McCormack.

If you want McDermott style football fine but I thought the whole point of getting rid of him was to try and make this a better football club to watch, rather than simply getting results.

Adkins needs to do a bit better but as I said, I think he's done OK with the cards he's been dealt.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Dec 2013 11:51

Perfectly written. Spot on. My feelings exactly.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Dec 2013 11:59

He's not a Reading manager! No one likes him apart from a few oddballs on here, nobody sings his name even when we are winning games and you can go on about his CV all you want but that doesn't mean he is going to be successful here. There is a style that fits this football club and a lot of those who criticise it don't even know what it is, misguidedly calling it 'hoofball'.

We did not play "hoofball" under McDermott or Coppell we mixed the way we played between longer and shorter passing but the main style was fast tempo football with an emphasis on wing play. The only times where it leaned more towards long ball football was when we had lost a few games so the player didn't have the confidence to try more elaborate play and their rhythm was disrupted.
Last edited by sandman on 08 Dec 2013 12:40, edited 2 times in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Dec 2013 12:29

sandman He's not a Reading manager! no one likes him, nobody sings his name even when we are winning games and you can go on about his CV all you want but that doesn't mean he is going to be successful here. There is a style that fits this football club and a lot of those who criticise it don't even know what it is, misguidedly calling it 'hoofball'.

We did not play "hoofball" under McDermott or Coppell we mixed the way we played between longer and shorter passing but the main style was fast tempo football with an emphasis on wing play. The only times where it leaned more towards long ball football was when we had lost a few games so the player didn't have the confidence to try more elaborate play and their rhythm was disrupted.

There was certainly a rendition of "Nigel Adkin's Barmy Army" at the game yesterday.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 08 Dec 2013 12:30

sandman He's not a Reading manager! no one likes him, nobody sings his name even when we are winning games and you can go on about his CV all you want but that doesn't mean he is going to be successful here. There is a style that fits this football club and a lot of those who criticise it don't even know what it is, misguidedly calling it 'hoofball'.

Absolutely 100% spot on. But I wouldn't expect some on here to know that - they're too blinkered/thick and unknowledgeable about the game (although, ironically, they think we are!).

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Dec 2013 12:31

Look at the teams at the top of each league

Apart from Dyche, look how long they've been in their jobs...

Like with AZ being a rich billionaire, we should be careful what we wish for

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 08 Dec 2013 12:33

Wimb If you want McDermott style football fine but I thought the whole point of getting rid of him was to try and make this a better football club to watch, rather than simply getting results.

:lol: That is honestly the funniest and yet most stupid statement I've EVER read on here.

Think, just think, what you've said. Unfuckinbelievable.

Especially when the football has been the worst I've seen Reading play in terns of enjoyability since the Div 3/4 days. No, actually they were more entertaining.
Last edited by Man Friday on 08 Dec 2013 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

3714 posts