Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by LoyalRoyalFan » 15 Dec 2013 18:17

Royalee
Cureton's Volley
bcubed What do they know?

What's best for Reading

Nah mate...

Seem to remember his name being sung around the terraces, now some people won't even go because Adkins is in charge.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2013 18:22

People who watched us last year and genuinely believe McDermott would be doing a better job with the squad, injuries and time available are mentally deranged.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 15 Dec 2013 18:25

Bet we'd still have Noel Hunt though...

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 15 Dec 2013 18:29

Royalee People who watched us last year and genuinely believe McDermott would be doing a better job with the squad, injuries and time available are mentally deranged.

McDermott got us promoted through a team that lacked notable quality, and with less funds available to him.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Dec 2013 18:34

Lee boy, I hear Brendan likes 'em manly. Get yourself a wig and a dress and you might finally be in with a chance of fulfilling that long held fantasy of yours.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2013 18:37

LoyalRoyalFan
Royalee People who watched us last year and genuinely believe McDermott would be doing a better job with the squad, injuries and time available are mentally deranged.

McDermott got us promoted through a team that lacked notable quality, and with less funds available to him.

He had the fourth biggest wage budget in the league and was given 3 years to do so. If Zingarevich hadn't stumped up funds for Roberts' wages then we'd have finish mid table for a third season in a row that year and the model of football was built very much around short termism which was always going to come unstuck in the Premiership when we gave teams the ball all game. I don't know what massive funds Adkins has had to play with - he's made a tidy profit on Mariappa and Kebe and largely used free transfers regardless of what wages may be.

What Adkins is trying to build will take longer than buying up a bit of experience and hoofing the ball up to a target man, he's having to completely change the style of football we play so it's suited for when we do go back up. He has a low base to build on as the squad he inherited are used to playing a certain way which will not get results long term and the fact that we're 5th with the all of this in mind plus the ridiculous injury list we've had is pretty bloody impressive to anyone who has multiple brain cells.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2013 18:44

sandman Lee boy, I hear Brendan likes 'em manly. Get yourself a wig and a dress and you might finally be in with a chance of fulfilling that long held fantasy of yours.

Our England World Cup goalkeeper produced another great display yesterday mate - did you have fun hanging out with your mate Adam in the bushes again after training this week?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Dec 2013 18:50

Two posts in a row and a flounce away. Obviously hit a raw nerve. That or he's gone off to find that dress and wig.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Dec 2013 18:59

LoyalRoyalFan Seem to remember his name being sung around the terraces, now some people won't even go because Adkins is in charge.

All hail to plastic power!

Thank goodness we have fans like them who can really get behind the team...

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 15 Dec 2013 19:03

ok guys keep it up, only 3 months to go then you can all have a good collective w*nk on the 1st anniversary of the departure of our great leader

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Dec 2013 19:07

Royalee If Zingarevich hadn't stumped up funds for Roberts' wages then we'd have finish mid table for a third season in a row that year

Well, we'd finished 5th the season before. And the season before that we finished 10th.....our form after he took over Rodgers failing team was 42 points from 26 (even allowing for the spell as caretaker where he didn't win a league game). Again that would have had us top 6 with ease extrapolated over a full season.

Royalee He has a low base to build on as the squad he inherited are used to playing a certain way which will not get results long term and the fact that we're 5th with the all of this in mind plus the ridiculous injury list we've had is pretty bloody impressive

I disagree that he has a low base to build on. Look our our starting line-up when compared with Huddersfield's yesterday. Player for player we look stronger than most sides in this division. So 5th place thus far is about par. It certainly isn't 'pretty bloody impressive'. If we're still top 5 (or higher) after our next 4 games which includes Wigan, Leicester and Forest then maybe I might just begin to feel a little differently.

Top 6 this season overall should be the minimum expectation. After all, when compared to Brian's record highlighted by myself above.....

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 15 Dec 2013 19:23

floyd__streete
Royalee If Zingarevich hadn't stumped up funds for Roberts' wages then we'd have finish mid table for a third season in a row that year

Well, we'd finished 5th the season before. And the season before that we finished 10th.....our form after he took over Rodgers failing team was 42 points from 26 (even allowing for the spell as caretaker where he didn't win a league game). Again that would have had us top 6 with ease extrapolated over a full season.

Royalee He has a low base to build on as the squad he inherited are used to playing a certain way which will not get results long term and the fact that we're 5th with the all of this in mind plus the ridiculous injury list we've had is pretty bloody impressive

I disagree that he has a low base to build on. Look our our starting line-up when compared with Huddersfield's yesterday. Player for player we look stronger than most sides in this division. So 5th place thus far is about par. It certainly isn't 'pretty bloody impressive'. If we're still top 5 (or higher) after our next 4 games which includes Wigan, Leicester and Forest then maybe I might just begin to feel a little differently.

Top 6 this season overall should be the minimum expectation. After all, when compared to Brian's record highlighted by myself above.....

I agree mate.
All you need to do is look at how Brian's sorted out Leeds. The keeper in my team is a Leeds fan and he's absolutely delighted with McD. I'm not a fan of Mr creosote i must admit. I'm not disputing his managerial ability, it's just that he seems like a bit of a twat! I'd love to have gone for a pint with Brian, don't fancy going for a sherry with Nige!!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 15 Dec 2013 19:25

Floyd makes some good points, however I'd add two things, and they are the rumoured uncertainty over the clubs finances will have reached the players, no matter how many times Adkins says they just concentrate on what they can control; and very few relegated Premier League sides bounce back at the first attempt, so actually 5th place at this stage is very very pleasing - and with a very injury hit squad as well. Getting those players back, and the fact they will be fresh and (if they can stay fit) fitter than many other players in the league as we start counting down the games.

Another thing for those idiots, and I really don't know what else to call them, who tweet #AdkinsOut - McDermott's football was often ugly but effective. No different to performances recently, and yesterday at Huddersfield, yet no-one called him out and wanted him sacked! Adkins is doing a dam decent job when everything is considered, and it will, given time, only get better as he adds more of 'his' players, and his style of football starts to become second nature to what is largely a direct and lump it forward team.

Wanting Adkins sacked is utterly pathetic. Give the man 2 full seasons and back him and his players in the meantime. We're called supporters for a reason!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2013 19:30

SPARTA Floyd makes some good points, however I'd add two things, and they are the rumoured uncertainty over the clubs finances will have reached the players, no matter how many times Adkins says they just concentrate on what they can control; and very few relegated Premier League sides bounce back at the first attempt, so actually 5th place at this stage is very very pleasing - and with a very injury hit squad as well. Getting those players back, and the fact they will be fresh and (if they can stay fit) fitter than many other players in the league as we start counting down the games.

Another thing for those idiots, and I really don't know what else to call them, who tweet #AdkinsOut - McDermott's football was often ugly but effective. No different to performances recently, and yesterday at Huddersfield, yet no-one called him out and wanted him sacked! Adkins is doing a dam decent job when everything is considered, and it will, given time, only get better as he adds more of 'his' players, and his style of football starts to become second nature to what is largely a direct and lump it forward team.

Wanting Adkins sacked is utterly pathetic. Give the man 2 full seasons and back him and his players in the meantime. We're called supporters for a reason!

This

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 15 Dec 2013 19:41

Royalee
LoyalRoyalFan

He had the fourth biggest wage budget in the league and was given 3 years to do so. If Zingarevich hadn't stumped up funds for Roberts' wages then we'd have finish mid table for a third season in a row that year and the model of football was built very much around short termism which was always going to come unstuck in the Premiership when we gave teams the ball all game. I don't know what massive funds Adkins has had to play with - he's made a tidy profit on Mariappa and Kebe and largely used free transfers regardless of what wages may be.

What Adkins is trying to build will take longer than buying up a bit of experience and hoofing the ball up to a target man, he's having to completely change the style of football we play so it's suited for when we do go back up. He has a low base to build on as the squad he inherited are used to playing a certain way which will not get results long term and the fact that we're 5th with the all of this in mind plus the ridiculous injury list we've had is pretty bloody impressive to anyone who has multiple brain cells.

Spot on.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 15 Dec 2013 20:14

really dont get the attraction of this thread, adkins is our manager now so what oxf*rd difference does it make as to weather it was the right decision

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Dec 2013 20:25

URZZZZZ really dont get the attraction of this thread, adkins is our manager now so what oxf*rd difference does it make as to weather it was the right decision
Loyalty to time served employees was a nice quality that we once had.

Whether it was the right decision is not, is (obviously) now irrelevent

Basically, I consider AZ to be a weasel, but i had no beef with Brian and his tenure, I have always rated Nige...so I am cutting my losses

Wrong decision

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Dec 2013 22:56

Royalee
sandman Lee boy, I hear Brendan likes 'em manly. Get yourself a wig and a dress and you might finally be in with a chance of fulfilling that long held fantasy of yours.

Our England World Cup goalkeeper produced another great display yesterday mate

Good job too. Otherwise we'd be in about 14/15th position. You’re making out Roberts was a one-man team and we'd have ended up mid-table, not CHAMPIONS, without him. Well that's definitely true in respect of McCarthy. (Except we won't be champions with or without him 'cos we an't got McD as manager.)

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Dec 2013 22:57

Uke
LoyalRoyalFan Seem to remember his name being sung around the terraces, now some people won't even go because Adkins is in charge.

All hail to plastic power!

Thank goodness we have fans like them who can really get behind the team...

...when it suits.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Dec 2013 22:58

AthleticoSpizz
URZZZZZ really dont get the attraction of this thread, adkins is our manager now so what oxf*rd difference does it make as to weather it was the right decision
Loyalty to time served employees was a nice quality that we once had.

Whether it was the right decision is not, is (obviously) now irrelevent

Basically, I consider AZ to be a weasel, but i had no beef with Brian and his tenure, I have always rated Nige...so I am cutting my losses

Wrong decision

This.

3714 posts