Confimred new owners of Raeding Footbal Club

8685 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Buyout

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2013 19:00

Harpers So Solid Crew Each season in the prem we spent more than our income. Both times we were told there was more money if the manager needed it. Then magically we get relegated to find there wasn't really a huge wad after all.

We made a profit both PL years we have accounts for.

We had a black hole to fill after relegation because our PL wage budget was £30m+ whereas a typical top end Chump wage budget at the time was about £14m. The players all had a 40% wage reduction clause, but several like Doyle and Hunt got new deals, probably on closer to PL money to keep them. We had a large squad and kept a lot of the other costs in coaching and background costs for the first year.

At the same time as our wages went down by about £10m, our income went down by significantly more, even taking into account parachute payments. Hence why the accounts showed we would have made a big loss without the serious player sales we made (Kitson, Sonko, Shorey etc).

The story is much the same for the seasons afterwards. Big player sales making up the short fall in income as we gradually reduced the wage budget, albeit it was still top end Championship. I can't recall if we've got the figures for the last promotion season and beyond. Although I think we did see that we had the fourth largest wage budget on promotion. Around £18m maybe?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 17 Dec 2013 00:42

Ian Royal
Harpers So Solid Crew Each season in the prem we spent more than our income. Both times we were told there was more money if the manager needed it. Then magically we get relegated to find there wasn't really a huge wad after all.

We made a profit both PL years we have accounts for.

We had a black hole to fill after relegation because our PL wage budget was £30m+ whereas a typical top end Chump wage budget at the time was about £14m. The players all had a 40% wage reduction clause, but several like Doyle and Hunt got new deals, probably on closer to PL money to keep them. We had a large squad and kept a lot of the other costs in coaching and background costs for the first year.

At the same time as our wages went down by about £10m, our income went down by significantly more, even taking into account parachute payments. Hence why the accounts showed we would have made a big loss without the serious player sales we made (Kitson, Sonko, Shorey etc).

The story is much the same for the seasons afterwards. Big player sales making up the short fall in income as we gradually reduced the wage budget, albeit it was still top end Championship. I can't recall if we've got the figures for the last promotion season and beyond. Although I think we did see that we had the fourth largest wage budget on promotion. Around £18m maybe?

What station did you hear this on?

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 17 Dec 2013 15:16

I had lunch yesterday with someone close to the board at RFC. I asked them a lot of questions, but they wouldn't go into any details on Anton and TSI; only describing the current situation as "a nightmare".

They told me that I shouldn't be worried and everything will be ok, eventually. Adding that they were working very hard behind the scenes but have realised that things would take longer than expected to be resolved. I don't think they were referring to the buyout, but the financial situation at the club.

Oddly they kept pointing out that Sir John still owned half the club.... but that half is only 49%! :?

Apologies, this isn't particularly insightful and of course it is very vague as my line of questioning was purely based on rumour and so their answers weren't to anything specific that i was asking. I would say that they were suitably concerned about the position that Anton and Co have put the club in though.

Merry Christmas one and all!

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 17 Dec 2013 19:05

Isaac Hunt I had lunch yesterday with someone close to the board at RFC. I asked them a lot of questions, but they wouldn't go into any details on Anton and TSI; only describing the current situation as "a nightmare".

They told me that I shouldn't be worried and everything will be ok, eventually. Adding that they were working very hard behind the scenes but have realised that things would take longer than expected to be resolved. I don't think they were referring to the buyout, but the financial situation at the club.

Oddly they kept pointing out that Sir John still owned half the club.... but that half is only 49%! :?

Apologies, this isn't particularly insightful and of course it is very vague as my line of questioning was purely based on rumour and so their answers weren't to anything specific that i was asking. I would say that they were suitably concerned about the position that Anton and Co have put the club in though.

Merry Christmas one and all!

Anyone seen the helicopters landing at the Madstad recently? Carrying people to show round the club? Prospective buyers?
Oh and there are certain circumstances I believe where hostile takeovers can be pushed through where a willing seller has only 49%. As long as they can muster board approval.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 17 Dec 2013 19:32

SJM has 43%, Anton has 51%, STAR have x amount of shares, possibly one or two individuals still holding as well. Not seen any choppers but have heard we're close to adding new investment to the club. Let's hope that's true.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 17 Dec 2013 19:44

SPARTA SJM has 43%, Anton has 51%, STAR have x amount of shares, possibly one or two individuals still holding as well. Not seen any choppers but have heard we're close to adding new investment to the club. Let's hope that's true.

Of course there is a big difference between a new owner and new money invested in the club and in particular the playing staff

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 17 Dec 2013 21:00

I have heard that "the club" (and I don't know who that might be exactly) spent 4 days in Oman very recently. The significance of this I have no idea.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Dec 2013 22:19

Bowman's Quiver I have heard that "the club" (and I don't know who that might be exactly) spent 4 days in Oman very recently. The significance of this I have no idea.

Not sure if you're serious.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 Dec 2013 13:55

Isaac Hunt Oddly they kept pointing out that Sir John still owned half the club.... but that half is only 49%! :?

SPARTA SJM has 43%, Anton has 51%, .

Since I think Sparta has it right, I think the person Isaac spoke to hasn't got a clue what they are talking about.

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 18 Dec 2013 17:37

PieEater
Isaac Hunt Oddly they kept pointing out that Sir John still owned half the club.... but that half is only 49%! :?

Since I think Sparta has it right, I think the person Isaac spoke to hasn't got a clue what they are talking about.

I don't post on here much and I'm never going to be one of those interested in claiming to be ITK - but if I were to tell you who it is i spoke to (and know well), you'd laugh. You certainly couldn't excuse them of not knowing what they're talking about or what is going on.

Perhaps a poor choice of words on their part, or they feel that SJM still owns a significant enough amount of the club to be able to work things out for the better.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 18 Dec 2013 20:48

Isaac Hunt
PieEater

I don't post on here much and I'm never going to be one of those interested in claiming to be ITK - but if I were to tell you who it is i spoke to (and know well), you'd laugh. You certainly couldn't excuse them of not knowing what they're talking about or what is going on.

Perhaps a poor choice of words on their part, or they feel that SJM still owns a significant enough amount of the club to be able to work things out for the better.

I think it's TSI that has 51%, not Anton. I dont know if he 100% owns TSI or not, but TSI has several board members, and they are voting members of RFC.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Dec 2013 21:02

FFS this was covered 13 pages ago :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=120612&p=3846426&hilit=100%25#p384642

AZ owns 100% of TSI. His minions are only employees.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 18 Dec 2013 21:15

Uke FFS this was covered 13 pages ago :wink:

With voting rights on the RFC board

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Dec 2013 21:45

SydenhamRoyal

Only to balance out the three SJM men

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_F. ... _officials

Chief Executive: Nigel Howe
Commercial Director: Ben Wells
Club Secretary: Sue Hewett
Financial Controller: Bryan Stabler
Directors: Sir John Madejski (Chairman), Anton Zingarevich (Owner), Christopher Samuelson, Andrew Obolensky, Nigel Howe and Ian Wood-Smith

Most of the control still resides with SJM people, especially Brian Stabler in the Financial Controller role - 19 years plus in the role... http://companycheck.co.uk/director/904054276
Last edited by Uke on 18 Dec 2013 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 18 Dec 2013 22:08

Uke
SydenhamRoyal

Commercial Director: Pat Coyne
Directors: Sir John Madejski (Chairman), Anton Zingarevich (Owner), Christopher Samuelson, Andrew Obolensky, Nigel Howe and Ian Wood-Smith

Most of the control still resides with SJM people, especially Brian Stabler in the Financial Controller role - 19 years plus in the role... http://companycheck.co.uk/director/904054276

Pat Coyne doesn't work for the club anymore. He's my new boss here in Bournemouth.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 18 Dec 2013 22:08

Pat Coyne left the club this year.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Dec 2013 22:15

SPARTA Pat Coyne left the club this year.

It's Wikipedia, now updated ...

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 18 Dec 2013 22:27

Uke
SydenhamRoyal

Commercial Director: Ben Wells

Brian does not have voting rights as far as I recall, however it only requires one of Anton's side to switch their votes to get a majority in favour ...

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 Dec 2013 22:31

Agree, he's not board member.

But he who controls the purse strings...

The FD is always the person with the real power in a company

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 18 Dec 2013 22:32

SPARTA SJM has 43%, Anton has 51%, STAR have x amount of shares, possibly one or two individuals still holding as well. Not seen any choppers but have heard we're close to adding new investment to the club. Let's hope that's true.

This confuses me as I cannot find the 43% you mention.

Are you referring to The Reading football club ltd or The Reading football club (holdings) ltd

https://www.duedil.com/company/00053703 ... ted/people

This shows the split as 49/51 can you show where STAR come into the share ownership side of things?

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/global/company-details.aspx

tia

8685 posts