The Adkins Sack/Resignation Countdown Thread

361 posts
stl_royal

Re: The Adkins Sack/Resignation Countdown Thread

by stl_royal » 29 Dec 2013 19:54

Its the midway point and were in 9th and only one point out of the playoff places. Sure they haven't looked good the last few matches but the world isn't falling down. We look like a mid table side and that frankly meets my expectations for this year. A new manager needs more than one transfer window to bring in his players and work his system, especially with what he inherited and with the ownership issues leading to lack of funding. Talk to me after January (but I'll probably still say the same).

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Dec 2013 20:12

3points However, the big problem seems to be the players aren't playing for him / listening to him / capable of playing in NA's style (or all of these). In that situation it usually means a manager is let go.

That would be the weakest and worst thing we could do. Get them out.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 29 Dec 2013 20:13

Credit to Adkins, he pulled no punches in the post match interview.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 61739.aspx

The players know what they should be doing and simply aren't doing it. It begs the question, why?

TheBaldOne

by TheBaldOne » 29 Dec 2013 20:14

What I don't understand about people saying give him a chance to sign his own players, is that he has already had that chance!

He signed Bridge, Williams, Drenthe, and Baird and Sharp on loan.

This signings have not helped with the supposed "passing style" we are meant to be playing. We are not creating any chances! Adkins should have noted we don't have the creativity or the passers at the club to and should have prioritised such signings as needed by the club rather than signing Williams (who in my opinion doesnt add much to the team), Drenthe (when we are already full of young and experienced wingers who know the championship inside-out). Bridge immeditely was a good signing considering we didnt have a left back at the time but fitness issues should have come into consideration when signing him.

There clearly were funds considering the stature of the players brought in, I can only imagine that those four will easily be are four biggest earners bar Pogrebynak, hence in my opinion Adkins has already wasted an opportunity to bring in the correct players for the club, who is to say he won't do it again? Time for him to go and bring in Mackay, Zola, Parkinson or anyone without the talk Adkins spews and far more action than prevails under the current regime.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 29 Dec 2013 20:15

SPARTA Credit to Adkins, he pulled no punches in the post match interview.

The players know what they should be doing and simply aren't doing it. It begs the question, why?

Because they're not good enough sadly. We have not been good with the ball since Coppell left & finally the chickens are coming home to roost.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 29 Dec 2013 20:15

Platypuss
3points However, the big problem seems to be the players aren't playing for him / listening to him / capable of playing in NA's style (or all of these). In that situation it usually means a manager is let go.

That would be the weakest and worst thing we could do. Get them out.

Absolutely this. Do what we can this month to replace a few of these problem players, and if need be lets use a kid or two as well. At least they have the hunger to prove their worth.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 29 Dec 2013 20:16

TheBaldOne What I don't understand about people saying give him a chance to sign his own players, is that he has already had that chance!

This signings have not helped with the supposed "passing style" we are meant to be playing. We are not creating any chances! Adkins should have noted we don't have the creativity or the passers at the club to and should have prioritised such signings as needed by the club rather than signing Williams (who in my opinion doesnt add much to the team), Drenthe (when we are already full of young and experienced wingers who know the championship inside-out). Bridge immeditely was a good signing considering we didnt have a left back at the time but fitness issues should have come into consideration when signing him.

There clearly were funds considering the stature of the players brought in, I can only imagine that those four will easily be are four biggest earners bar Pogrebynak, hence in my opinion Adkins has already wasted an opportunity to bring in the correct players for the club, who is to say he won't do it again? Time for him to go and bring in Mackay, Zola, Parkinson or anyone without the talk Adkins spews and far more action than prevails under the current regime.

Mackay spent £50m at Cardiff. This post just shows you lap up a lot of the media spin sorry.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 29 Dec 2013 20:20

MmmMonsterMunch

Because they're not good enough sadly. We have not been good with the ball since Coppell left & finally the chickens are coming home to roost.

I don't accept that though. The strikers are some of the best outside the top flight. The wingers here are some of the best outside the top flight. Guthrie was one Newcastle's best players the season they went back up from the Championship, so he has no excuses other than perhaps having the wrong attitude, and we've seen it before. The defence is a MASSIVE problem however, as is us missing a decent holding midfielder. The the crux of this side is that of a top end Championship side. They really have no excuses when it comes to ability. It must come down to attitude. Even the manager is calling them out for not doing what he asks of them!
Last edited by SPARTA on 29 Dec 2013 20:35, edited 2 times in total.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Dec 2013 20:21

BaldOne - I think you answered your own point to a large extent re: Drenthe and Williams. Not required and weren't players Adkins wanted in the summer. Bridge - good player but we've been unfortunate with his injuries. He played virtually every game last season for Brighton. Baird - only brought in when Karacan was injured. Sharp - definite Adkins player.

Guthrie is, I think, the second highest paid player behind Pog. Sharp is on less than Federici apparently! No idea about Baird, but doubt it's massive as he was a free agent when we signed him.

TheBaldOne

by TheBaldOne » 29 Dec 2013 20:22

MmmMonsterMunch
TheBaldOne What I don't understand about people saying give him a chance to sign his own players, is that he has already had that chance!

Mackay spent £50m at Cardiff. This post just shows you lap up a lot of the media spin sorry.

I dont give a f*** about Mackay, I'm interested in our football club. Adkins has already wasted a transfer window in my opinion and did NOT prioritise the right signings , i.e. players that can pass the ball! I'm not saying snap up Mackay, I'm saying most people seem to be taken in by Nigel's talk, which is most likely not going to materialise to good football and more importantly wins.

It's time for Adkins to go and talk up how good some other club "could" be in the future, and a real manager to come in here, who ideally will play good passing football but also know how to win ugly!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 29 Dec 2013 20:24

SPARTA
MmmMonsterMunch

I don't accept that though. The strikers are some of the best outside the top flight. The wingers here are some of the best outside the top flight. Guthrie was one Newcastle's best players the season they went back up from the Championship, so he has no excuses other than perhaps having the wrong, and we've seen it before, attitude(?). The defence is a MASSIVE problem however, as is us missing a decent holding midfielder. The the crux of this side is that of a top end Championship side. They really have no excuses when it comes to ability. It must come down to attitude. Even the manager is calling them out for not doing what he asks of them!

There is something quite wrong with our midfield this season & I can't quite work out why. Bar McCleary, I'm not convinced our wingers are that good any more TBH. CM is a bit of a mess Guthrie / Williams doesn't work & we do miss Karacan. HRK & Drenthe have not really lived up to expectations for me & McAnuff is not getting any younger.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Dec 2013 20:28

SPARTA The defence is a MASSIVE problem however, as is us missing a decent holding midfielder

Agreed - should not have resigned Pearce, but presume they knew Mariappa was going to go throughout the summer. A second left back (even if it was Shorey, Harte or Joseph Mills would have been better than what we now face) plus an experienced centre half (like QPR did with Dunne).

I think we're really missing a midfield destroyer - a la Legs in his prime. we just don't have anyone at the moment who can break up play. I don't think it's coincidence that our worst performances have been since NA has been forced to pair Guthrie and Williams in centre midfield (plus Sharp doesn;t do much defending from the front either). In Obita and McCleary these two do not work as hard defensively as Jobi and Kebe did.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Dec 2013 20:31

MmmMonsterMunch There is something quite wrong with our midfield this season & I can't quite work out why.

"Guthrie". But we have nothing better.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 29 Dec 2013 20:32

How was it not obvious to Adkins during the Summer transfer window that Pearce is simply not up to passing it out from the back?
He had the chance to replace him already and did he?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 29 Dec 2013 20:36

P!ssed Off How was it not obvious to Adkins during the Summer transfer window that Pearce is simply not up to passing it out from the back?

How do you know he had the chance?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 29 Dec 2013 20:39

P!ssed Off How was it not obvious to Adkins during the Summer transfer window that Pearce is simply not up to passing it out from the back?

Are you seriously suggesting that Adkins thought Oh yes please I want an ageing CB, another relatively inexperienced one with as much mobility as Bruce Forsyth & an even more inexperienced one as my options?

TheBaldOne

by TheBaldOne » 29 Dec 2013 20:39

MmmMonsterMunch

The funds were there he should have prioritised his signings, instead of signing Drenthe when we already have capable wingers and Williams who adds zero to the team

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 29 Dec 2013 20:41

Harsh. Most players can be coached to play a different way, and the fans wanted Pearce to stay at the time. Also Adkins was let down when it came to bringing in the players he wanted, so he probably missed out on a few positions. I think it's very unfair to lay it at the managers feet considering everything that's been going on at the club since he came here. He must feel utterly stitched up!

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 29 Dec 2013 20:42

MmmMonsterMunch

If playing it out from the back is so integral to his style of play then he shouldn't have taken no for an answer.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 29 Dec 2013 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Dec 2013 20:42

Another slap in the face for the Adkinsistas then. Some of them deserve an actual slap in the face, tbh.

361 posts