Replace NA with who?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Replace NA with who?

by St. Brynjar » 30 Dec 2013 18:15

If Adkins were to be (very harshly) sacked the only possible name I'd like is Clarke.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 30 Dec 2013 18:48

RoyalBlue More seriously if, as some are suggesting, Adkins has lost the dressing room, then let's get rid of those players rather than the manager. Not many in the dressing room that we would really miss and/or couldn't be replaced.

Totally agree. I don't really have any 'connection' with the current set of players so may as well get shot & get some in that can actually string 3 passes together.

I gave this a lot of thought & in all seriousness who would we miss bar McCarthy? I would miss Jobi a bit perhaps but other than that I couldn't give a toss.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 30 Dec 2013 19:37

St. Brynjar If Adkins were to be (very harshly) sacked the only possible name I'd like is Clarke.
I am liking this very much but we are more likely to get Colin Wakner in which case I would stop going after 45 years.....

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 30 Dec 2013 20:45

Royal Lady Anyway, my answer to the question would be McD with help from Sir Steve Coppell - they would be my dream team - can do wonders with a group of not very expensive players and both have an eye for a bargain who ends up making us money - what's not to like?

Double Jackpot

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 30 Dec 2013 20:59

Good idea, although I'd rather have Matt Smith than Peter Capaldi. Replace Kingsley with Jenna Coleman and it would be a real winner.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 30 Dec 2013 21:14

MmmMonsterMunch
RoyalBlue More seriously if, as some are suggesting, Adkins has lost the dressing room, then let's get rid of those players rather than the manager. Not many in the dressing room that we would really miss and/or couldn't be replaced.

Totally agree. I don't really have any 'connection' with the current set of players so may as well get shot & get some in that can actually string 3 passes together.

I gave this a lot of thought & in all seriousness who would we miss bar McCarthy? I would miss Jobi a bit perhaps but other than that I couldn't give a toss.

Keep that big Russian lad also

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Dec 2013 10:06

facaldaqui
Oilroyal
facaldaqui
But are you nursing a grudge that when the club went upmarket, they started hiring a better quality of motor?

No at all I'm happy for SJM and the possibility of new investment with this I can see him once again enjoying his stewardship of this great club. As for holding a grudge I stopped financial sponsorship a while back as I'm now in the oil industry and my company wouldn't benefit from the connection.

I was only joking. (Oil industry, eh? Ooooh!)

Obviously works for a garage franchise and the oil he's talking about is engine oil! :wink:

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 31 Dec 2013 12:05

St. Brynjar If Adkins were to be (very harshly) sacked the only possible name I'd like is Clarke.

I agree, is managerial record is second to none and has a track record of getting teams promoted.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 31 Dec 2013 12:25

Yes with the ownership situation unresolved and no corresponding certainty over what- if any- funds will be available to a new manger now is exactly the time to be unjustly sacking another proven manager.

Perhaps championship manger with the man city game on in the background might be the way to go for you instead?

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 31 Dec 2013 15:52

Oilroyal
The Prisoner The team is in transition. Ownership all over the place. We have a load of injuries. We are in the top ten. We have potential. We have a manager with a proven track record. We have a manager who has only had one transfer window. We have a manager with a track record for producing intelligent teams who play the right way.

Despite all this, and with Adkins not even having had a full year the Football Manager brigade want a head on a stick.

I honestly despair of the instant gratification demanded by some of you mongs.

If anyone wants sacking it's you!

30 odd years of supporting this club. Also supplied youth team coach back in the elm park day, sponsored Shaka with a car, Dylon Kerr attended my wedding and I know SJM who asked me to be a patron of the club so I hardly think I'm looking for instant gratification

Did you mis-spell the names of any other wedding guests ?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 31 Dec 2013 16:46

Sacking NA would not be harsh-on Sunday's evidence we are going backwards at a rate of knots-I was willing to give him my support last season but he has completely failed to bring anything positive to RFC-I agree though Clarke would be my choice also-he was very unfairly sacked by West Brom.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 31 Dec 2013 16:54

It has been quoted elsewhere in this forum that NA was not happy on Sunday with what was on display and has said the issue is largely with a central midfield that is too slow to read and spot a forward pass.

If that assessment is correct then it's pretty damning for the likes of Guthrie although I would consider whoever plays in those roles is not helped by a lack of movement or intelligence from elsewhere in the team, a lack of confidence in whatever is masquerading as a back 4 on the day and incessant fiddling about in team selection/formation by the management further denying any hope of understanding ever bring developed.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 31 Dec 2013 16:58

It's not lack of movement elsewhere, the passes are usually on. Although, that's just me talking from high up in the stands. I can usually see someone showing.

Guthrie just doesn't see them (he's got his head down, not up). Williams is better at spotting it but his passes are imprecise. Equally that could be because Williams is taking more of a chance. Karacan was actually good at this, his injury is a massive shame.

But it's the wingers as well, who are more likely to run themselves into a blind alley than lay the ball off.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 31 Dec 2013 17:07

Barry the bird boggler It has been quoted elsewhere in this forum that NA was not happy on Sunday with what was on display and has said the issue is largely with a central midfield that is too slow to read and spot a forward pass.

If that assessment is correct then it's pretty damning for the likes of Guthrie although I would consider whoever plays in those roles is not helped by a lack of movement or intelligence from elsewhere in the team, a lack of confidence in whatever is masquerading as a back 4 on the day and incessant fiddling about in team selection/formation by the management further denying any hope of understanding ever bring developed.

One thing I learned from McDermott was the crucial importance of defensive midfield. With Karacan and Tabb already in the squad, I was surprised when he then brought in Leigertwood. People talk about McD's team being boring, but I never tired of watching those three almost metronomically dispossess and harry the opposition. Maybe I started to take it for granted. I had an inkling at the time that I was watching something rare in the history of the club, and it surely played a key part in our promotion, as teams constantly foundered on the rocks of our defensive midfield. Of course, there were snags to it--because there was no room left in the team for an advanced midfield.

As our old defensive midfield fell away, through transfers and injuries, I assumed Williams and Baird might just take up the reins, but they are not quite the terriers the old brigade were. Now we do not have a row of rocks in front of defence, the waves roll right in, exposing Pearce and Gorkss more than ever they were in the promo season.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Dec 2013 17:27

The Prisoner The team is in transition. Ownership all over the place. We have a load of injuries. We are in the top ten. We have potential. We have a manager with a proven track record. We have a manager who has only had one transfer window. We have a manager with a track record for producing intelligent teams who play the right way.

Despite all this, and with Adkins not even having had a full year the Football Manager brigade want a head on a stick.

I honestly despair of the instant gratification demanded by some of you mongs.

If anyone wants sacking it's you!

All of this ^^^^^^^^

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 31 Dec 2013 17:56

Westwood52 Sacking NA would not be harsh-on Sunday's evidence we are going backwards at a rate of knots-I was willing to give him my support last season but he has completely failed to bring anything positive to RFC-I agree though Clarke would be my choice also-he was very unfairly sacked by West Brom.

Jesus H Christ.

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 31 Dec 2013 18:23

Not getting this whole Adkins out thing at all.

Yes it's a bit shit, but aren't we always shit in the run up to the new year?

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 31 Dec 2013 19:05

Za Vas Not getting this whole Adkins out thing at all.

Yes it's a bit shit, but aren't we always shit in the run up to the new year?

Agree with this.

The now apparently legendary McD would have been out on his ear.

He seems to have become a better Reading manager since he stopped being Reading manager according to most on here anyway.

Rfc1987

If not Adkins then who?

by Rfc1987 » 04 Jan 2014 22:54

A lot of Reading fans seem to be split on whether Adkins should go!? Some trickle fans need to realise he isn't doing too bad at the moment considering these bad uncertain times. So if we sacked adkins(compo we can't afford atm) then who? Don't say malky Mackay! will he really want to come to is with prem teams available? he's built up quite a rep. So who else?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: If not Adkins then who?

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2014 22:56

Dolan for me.