61%
Fire
39%

Total votes: 243
Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New Poll - Adkins

by Man Friday » 05 Jan 2014 20:00

Atkins is clearly feeling the pressure. Not a good sign for RFC.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 05 Jan 2014 20:47

I'd like to see Nigel Adkins give award winning radio commentary like Tim Dellor does.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 05 Jan 2014 20:56

LoyalRoyalFan I'd like to see Nigel Adkins give award winning radio commentary like Tim Dellor does.

God no, it'd be positively saturated with clichés and bullshit :lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Jan 2014 20:57

Boo, Adkins, boo.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jan 2014 20:59

LoyalRoyalFan I'd like to see Nigel Adkins give award winning radio commentary like Tim Dellor does.

'Award winning'? :shock:

Anyone who saw Adkins on the Footballers Football show would know that he could do a damn good job! Far more articulate and knowledgeable that posh boy Tim!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2014 21:01

P!ssed Off
RoyalBlue
sandman He has never called for him to be sacked though and that was the accusation levelled at him by our sorry excuse for a manager.

No, he hasn't used those actual words. However, he has hardly been publically backing him, as he tried to imply when 'our sorry excuse for a manager' decided to hit out at him.

In the conversation between Adkins and Dellor, Adkins said Dellor had led a campaign for him to be sacked.
Dellor's reply: "No, when people have said you should be sacked, I've backed you."
Yeah, a blatant lie... :roll:

If Adkins had behaved reasonably and merely put it to Dellor that his criticism was often unduly harsh then we'd have something to discuss.
But no, Adkins put forward an unfounded, exaggerated accusation, which was quickly, and fairly easily, brushed away.
Adkins knew he'd overplayed his somewhat limited hand and quickly backed down.

If people really 'back' Adkins then they should probably quickly let this post-match spat go. It reflects badly solely on Adkins after all.
+100%

Glad we listened to the same thing

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 05 Jan 2014 21:38

I think most of us on this board want our club to do well and take no pleasure in seeing our team lose and don't enjoy the uncertainty of change of ownership. We all have a choice as to how we respond to this ; optimism / pessimism, boo/ cheer, sack the mgr/ keep the mgr etc. we all share our views across a pretty limited audience (hobnob) so the impact is minimal. Dim Tellor has a disproportionally big audience to his opinions and is not without influence of pubic opinion (that's part of the media role). He too has a choice as to what 'tack' he takes when asking Adkins questions. He is not stupid (hopefully not after a Bradfield collage education and a successful interview process with the BBC and didn't get the job just because his Dad is a famous commentator) and can see Adkins and the club are currently in a difficult position. He can a) choose to help galvanise the support b) twist the knife. For example on Saturday he had a choice Q1) Nigel a tough run of results ,one positive is that we had 5 Academy players involved and a good second half. What can we do to improve our shots on goal and possession in the final 3rd ? Or Q2. We talked abut body language & the team have no confidence why did we have no shots in goal & btw 5 people have texted in saying you should be sacked.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 05 Jan 2014 21:42

madstadblues I think most of us on this board want our club to do well and take no pleasure in seeing our team lose and don't enjoy the uncertainty of change of ownership. We all have a choice as to how we respond to this ; optimism / pessimism, boo/ cheer, sack the mgr/ keep the mgr etc. we all share our views across a pretty limited audience (hobnob) so the impact is minimal. Dim Tellor has a disproportionally big audience to his opinions and is not without influence of pubic opinion (that's part of the media role). He too has a choice as to what 'tack' he takes when asking Adkins questions. He is not stupid (hopefully not after a Bradfield collage education and a successful interview process with the BBC and didn't get the job just because his Dad is a famous commentator) and can see Adkins and the club are currently in a difficult position. He can a) choose to help galvanise the support b) twist the knife. For example on Saturday he had a choice Q1) Nigel a tough run of results ,one positive is that we had 5 Academy players involved and a good second half. What can we do to improve our shots on goal and possession in the final 3rd ? Or Q2. We talked abut body language & the team have no confidence why did we have no shots in goal & btw 5 people have texted in saying you should be sacked.

+1 Excellent post & explains exactly how I feel about it. Nigel is a professional so really shouldn't have risen to the bait but Dellor's been grinding him down for months.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2014 21:43

^ either that or we can blow smoke up eachothers arseholes

And avoid the daily drama nand what is really not vfm.

And once again....yes...Its a bit of a rebuild/restructure...and yes..I am on Nigels side

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 05 Jan 2014 21:46

MmmMonsterMunch
madstadblues I think most of us on this board want our club to do well and take no pleasure in seeing our team lose and don't enjoy the uncertainty of change of ownership. We all have a choice as to how we respond to this ; optimism / pessimism, boo/ cheer, sack the mgr/ keep the mgr etc. we all share our views across a pretty limited audience (hobnob) so the impact is minimal. Dim Tellor has a disproportionally big audience to his opinions and is not without influence of pubic opinion (that's part of the media role). He too has a choice as to what 'tack' he takes when asking Adkins questions. He is not stupid (hopefully not after a Bradfield collage education and a successful interview process with the BBC and didn't get the job just because his Dad is a famous commentator) and can see Adkins and the club are currently in a difficult position. He can a) choose to help galvanise the support b) twist the knife. For example on Saturday he had a choice Q1) Nigel a tough run of results ,one positive is that we had 5 Academy players involved and a good second half. What can we do to improve our shots on goal and possession in the final 3rd ? Or Q2. We talked abut body language & the team have no confidence why did we have no shots in goal & btw 5 people have texted in saying you should be sacked.

+1 Excellent post & explains exactly how I feel about it. Nigel is a professional so really shouldn't have risen to the bait but Dellor's been grinding him down for months.

Exactly this.

People complain when Adkins doesn't show enough "spirit" in interviews, then also complain when he finally gives that odious little shit Dellor the metaphorical slap he deserves.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2014 21:52

lol but lol

It was hardly a "slap" Avon

More of a hystericl blurt out....that he obviously regretted doing, virtually straight away afterwards (We've all done that before).

Cut Nige some slack folks...he is just trying to do his job with a hand of cards more like a foot

Cut Dellor some slack...he is just doing his job and is loaded up to ask contraversial questions and make incisive comments.....which is what many want to hear. He (unlike us) more or less let the accusation drop soon afterwards
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 05 Jan 2014 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 05 Jan 2014 21:57

AthleticoSpizz lol but lol

It was hardly a "slap" Avon

More of a hystericl blurt out....that he obviously regretted doing, virtually straight away afterwards.

Cut Nige some slack folks...he is just trying to do his job with a hand of cards more like a foot

Cut Dellor some slack...he is just doing his job and is loaded up to ask contraversial questions and make incisive comments.....which is what many want to hear.

Yesterday I posted about him accusing Dellor off air & someone said on here that it was actually on air. I must have gone to get a drink as I didn't hear it at the time & just heard Dellor & Adie talking about it afterwards. Went to listen back to it again this afternoon & there's a bit that's been edited out. I presume that's the bit then.. :lol:

You can hear the edit where they've taken a good chunk out of the interview.

Athletico - The only thing I would say though is this - would Dellor have spoken to Brian the way he's spoken to Nigel? No is the answer.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2014 22:01

No doubt you are right Mmmmunch

However, MaccyD promised nothing, yet had earnt his spurs with us, Nige promised much (and for lots of reasons...most out of his control i'm sure) and has delivered nothing.

Yet

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 05 Jan 2014 22:01

AthleticoSpizz It was hardly a "slap" Avon

Yeah, fair enough - I think I just got caught up with the image of someone giving Dellor a slap.

More of a metaphorical "withering look" then. :wink:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2014 22:05

menacing :D

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 05 Jan 2014 22:08

AthleticoSpizz No doubt you are right Mmmmunch

However, MaccyD promised nothing, yet had earnt his spurs with us, Nige promised much (and for lots of reasons...most out of his control i'm sure) and has delivered nothing.

Yet

But nothing was really expected of BM initially was it other than a bit of stability & avoiding relegation? The fans desperately wanted him to succeed as he knew the club inside out. In that respect he had a massive head start on Adkins support wise as 1) expectations were substantially lower and 2) The fans would have forgiven a lot because he was a Reading man.

He also had IMO better players at his disposal including Bertrand, Long & Sig. What all of us would give just to have one of those three back now!

The scenario has changed big time for Adkins & the poor cnut is on a hiding to nothing!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2014 22:14

and on that (despite all of those aforementioned "fine thoroughbred" players not doing it for Brendan), we agree bruvva!

If it didn't need saying..I think Nige regrets that outburst on Saturday, and I hope he goes on to exceed the heights that his predessors ever achieved with us.

Thge way that his job is laid out for him at the moment....I doubt it

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 05 Jan 2014 22:19

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 06 Jan 2014 01:11

Man Friday Atkins is clearly feeling the pressure. Not a good sign for RFC.

Would you rather he didn't?

It's a case of damned if he does and damned if he doesn't

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 06 Jan 2014 01:16

Uke
Man Friday Atkins is clearly feeling the pressure. Not a good sign for RFC.

Would you rather he didn't?

It's a case of damned if he does and damned if he doesn't

:?
Obviously the manager being under pressure is not a good thing...
How is the phrase "damned if he does and damned if he doesn't" relevant to Adkins being under pressure anyway?

178 posts