Hob Nob Addict

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by stealthpapes » 16 Dec 2013 22:18

Wimb

Top, top Gif.

EPR2.0

by EPR2.0 » 29 Dec 2013 19:39

Green If there's one thing I've learnt about train companies, it's that they seem to derive some kind of perverse pleasure in running as few carriages as possible (probably as few as they're contractually obliged to) So when travelling off peak you're as crammed in as in the rush hour on some routes.

Certain operating parameters are dictated to them - London Midland desperately want to run longer trains from Liverpool to Euston but for whatever reason they're currently limited to 4 car sets despite all calling points being able to accommodate far more. I think it might be something to do with the maximum length of train that can be safely "self dispatched" by the train manager without having to rely on station staff or somethinglikethat.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 05 Jan 2014 07:57

Brighton have a great station next to the ground. Not her what else is in that area but I'd love something like that at Green Park.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 06 Jan 2014 17:26

Problem is, Falmer station is right next to the ground, so by building a station at Green Park, you wouldn't be achieving anything at all similar. Green Park and Madejski would be about the same distance as between Reading West and Elm Park. It's really not going to be that good if it gets it's built.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jan 2014 12:17

Great for me. It means I won't be walking over three miles to get to the ground as I do at the moment. Actually, my waist may disagree about it being great for me.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Jan 2014 12:22

Winchester Royal Problem is, Falmer station is right next to the ground, so by building a station at Green Park, you wouldn't be achieving anything at all similar. Green Park and Madejski would be about the same distance as between Reading West and Elm Park. It's really not going to be that good if it gets it's built.

Bottom line is I'd rather it was built and we can moan about how shit the service is and how you might as well walk, rather than it not being there at all.

Dave_Kitson

by Dave_Kitson » 11 Jan 2014 21:45

Motheroxf*rding trains!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 Jan 2014 10:32

Bad experience, Dave?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 13 Jan 2014 17:04

Bad education, Dave?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 08 Jul 2014 13:12

Plans for Green Park station serving Reading FC's Madejski Stadium on track after Government pledges £32m for transport projects across Reading

THE Government has pledged £32m towards new transport projects in Reading – including £9m to build a railway station at Green Park

Ministers have earmarked £20.1m for mass rapid transport projects connecting the east and south of Reading to the town centre and £2.9m to help build a new park and ride facility at Thames Valley Park.

The measures were revealed in the Thames Valley Berkshire LEP (Local Enterprise Partnership) Growth Deal, announced on Monday, which will see £96.9m invested in business-boosting schemes across the county by 2017.

As part of the deal the Department for Transport will work on breaking the deadlock between Reading, Wokingham and Oxfordshire councils over a third Thames bridge and Network Rail will explore the introduction of semi-fast services between Reading and London.

Reading East MP Rob Wilson said: “This is a big boost to a better connected Reading. By delivering infrastructure commitments like these we are sending a strong message to the business community at home and abroad, that Reading is a great place to do business and a great place to headquarter your firm.”

Reading College will also become one of three 'solutions labs’ – designed to promote growth-boosting skills – with money being pumped into its engineering and science departments.

Meanwhile the long-awaited Green Park station will create a direct link between Reading Football Club’s Madejski Stadium and the town centre.

Reading West MP Alok Sharma said: “I am particularly pleased at the confirmation of funding for the railway station at Green Park business park in my constituency as well as funding for local 'solutions labs’ to assist with growing the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) skill base and enhancing business support.”

The funding is subject to conditions that will be hammered out by the Government and the LEP in the coming months, and all of the projects will have to go through the council’s planning process.

LEP chairman Steve Lamb said: “This deal will enable the LEP and its partners to improve connectivity across its towns, reduce congestion, and unlock private sector investment essential to economic growth.

“We will continue to work with government in order to secure funding for those projects and work streams that were not included in this current round of growth fund allocations.”

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/ ... s-reading/

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 08 Jul 2014 13:14

Dave-Royal Green park will be build won't be ready by 3 years

:shock: this could actually be accurate

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 08 Jul 2014 14:35

WoodleyRoyal and Network Rail will explore the introduction of semi-fast services between Reading and London.
er.. as opposed to the fast services we currently have?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Jul 2014 20:24

Royal Biscuitman
WoodleyRoyal and Network Rail will explore the introduction of semi-fast services between Reading and London.

I would guess they mean on the Reading-Waterloo line

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 Jul 2014 20:41

Semi-fast as opposed to slow or fast. There is a slow train that stops at every station, a fast train that stops only when it gets to London. The semi- fast is a lag way house.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Jul 2014 21:06

West Stand Man Semi-fast as opposed to slow or fast. There is a slow train that stops at every station, a fast train that stops only when it gets to London. The semi- fast is a lag way house.

Semi-fast strikes me as a bit indulgent.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Jul 2014 09:57

tmesis
Royal Biscuitman

I would guess they mean on the Reading-Waterloo line

I would guess they mean cross rail services (which are currently all stations affairs).

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 09 Jul 2014 17:45

EPR2.0
Green If there's one thing I've learnt about train companies, it's that they seem to derive some kind of perverse pleasure in running as few carriages as possible (probably as few as they're contractually obliged to) So when travelling off peak you're as crammed in as in the rush hour on some routes.

Certain operating parameters are dictated to them - London Midland desperately want to run longer trains from Liverpool to Euston but for whatever reason they're currently limited to 4 car sets despite all calling points being able to accommodate far more. I think it might be something to do with the maximum length of train that can be safely "self dispatched" by the train manager without having to rely on station staff or somethinglikethat.

Shorter train = less fuel used, less train to clean = money saved.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Jul 2014 18:57

The worry for me would be that they stop the bus service because the train is there. At least the bus queue is quite quick and constantly moving, i wouldn't fancy waiting half an hour in a queue for a train listening our 'fans' excitedly discussing their premier league team's scores.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 09 Jul 2014 19:24

Royal Ginger At least the bus queue is quite quick and constantly moving

Really?

Getting to the ground is OK. But after the match (if you stay till the end), you wait in a huge queue with no buses as they've all gone to town. You then wait for them to come back.

Or, they only open one bus so it takes bloody ages to get on.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Jul 2014 19:38

bobby1413
Royal Ginger At least the bus queue is quite quick and constantly moving

Really?

Getting to the ground is OK. But after the match (if you stay till the end), you wait in a huge queue with no buses as they've all gone to town. You then wait for them to come back.

Or, they only open one bus so it takes bloody ages to get on.

I've never left a game early, but walk with purpose back towards the bus and usually sit in the North Stand. I usually only queue for 5 or 6 minutes tops. 10-12 if I'm in the South.

824 posts