Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by paultheroyal » 22 Dec 2013 10:37

SHORT AND CURLY
Royalee
Cureton's Volley No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

Taking 5 mins to pass the ball into their half = Boredom

You really are a tool. All of the best teams don't play 'end to end' football where you try and hoof it forward as quickly as possible. Barcelona, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and co all pass the ball and create good chances rather than kicking and hoping. That's also the reason why they're stronger defensively - I wouldn't expect you to understand though as you're about as forward thinking and smart as a chocolate teapot.

I lost count of the chances created by our passing in the first half yesterday.

Oh I remember ONE

ONE FFKIN SHOT. Cannot even remember a goalmouth scramble, close shave Nothing!

NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING

This tippy tappy pass to the other side footy really works.

Oh and don't even mention the defence. :roll:

Yeah we are in the play offs, it's crap and not working. Pity all the other clubs below us.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 22 Dec 2013 10:41

Im really glad your enjoying it. I really am

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Dec 2013 10:52

sandman Four shots on target someone said. Personally, not really interested in off target shots.

Are you including Drenthe smashing the ball out for a throw in as part of the 21 Winch?

So a shot from 35 yards that dribbles into the keeper's arms is more exciting and meaningful than a chance from 10 yards that goes just past the post? Odd.

I'm counting the penalty that was blazed over the bar. I'm counting the Gorkss header that went just past the post. I'm counting the number of other close shaves we had in that second half pressure.

I'm not interested in getting into this whole Adkins v Mcd thing again, it's desperately dull, but can you all please stop putting Brian forward as if he were this connoisseur of inventive attacking football. He had a gr8 number of strengths, but that was not one of them.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Dec 2013 11:04

paultheroyal
Yeah we are in the play offs, it's crap and not working. Pity all the other clubs below us.

Shows how poor the division is if this pile of dross are still in the play offs.

Interesting how the roles have reversed. Those who decried our promotion two seasons ago as being on the back of poor performances, with results papering over cracks and wanted us to change our style and play in a more aesthetically pleasing style are now using our position in the play offs places and results that got us there to justify the poor performances and the managers position.

Whilst those who said that results are all that matters and performances aren't essential are now criticising the performances.

Personally I feel the feelings of the latter group are coloured by the opinions of the former who assured us that the team would be much better to watch under this manager and that we'd be much better off.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 22 Dec 2013 11:07

sandman
paultheroyal

Shows how poor the division is if this pile of dross are still in the play offs.

Interesting how the roles have reversed. Those who decried our promotion two seasons ago as being on the back of poor performances, with results papering over cracks and wanted us to change our style and play in a more aesthetically pleasing style are now using our position in the play offs places and results that got us there to justify the poor performances and the managers position.

Whilst those who said that results are all that matters and performances aren't essential are now criticising the performances.

Personally I feel the feelings of the latter group are coloured by the opinions of the former who assured us that the team would be much better to watch under this manager and that we'd be much better off.

Just let it go..anytime you need someone to talk to, just let me know. It's ok. Be strong. Time is a healer and it'll take time for you to get over your loss.

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 22 Dec 2013 11:16

winchester_royal Do you think Leeds' 0-0 with Barnsley would have been exciting yesterday :?:

Why the obsession with Leeds?
FTR, I was a stay at home yesterday and one quote from the report on Football Score from Elland Road was "There's 30,000 here and at times it feels like all of them are making some noise". I know its a Yorkshire derby, but does that not suggest it might have been more fun than a game that has caused some of our fans to bomb an internet forum to moan about a game marred by booing?

You're just guessing.

Of the Leeds fans I know, admittedly a small sample, they see this year as far more exciting than the last few years. This is partly because McDermott isn't Warnock, but partly because they see the playoff chance as genuine. Its not just about games in isolation. So before you use McDermott's performance at Leeds as a marker of the awesomeness of Adkins, use a little less guesswork next time. All the signs point to general acceptance of McDermott at Leeds, complete with the noisy 30k stadium. We were 3/4s full yesterday, but I assume thats because all the stay at homes are idiots right? (And just imagine how much discontent there would have been if the discontented stay aways had filled the other 1/4 of the stadium)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Dec 2013 12:20

Zana Badawi
winchester_royal Do you think Leeds' 0-0 with Barnsley would have been exciting yesterday :?:

Why the obsession with Leeds?
FTR, I was a stay at home yesterday and one quote from the report on Football Score from Elland Road was "There's 30,000 here and at times it feels like all of them are making some noise". I know its a Yorkshire derby, but does that not suggest it might have been more fun than a game that has caused some of our fans to bomb an internet forum to moan about a game marred by booing?

You're just guessing.

Of the Leeds fans I know, admittedly a small sample, they see this year as far more exciting than the last few years. This is partly because McDermott isn't Warnock, but partly because they see the playoff chance as genuine. Its not just about games in isolation. So before you use McDermott's performance at Leeds as a marker of the awesomeness of Adkins, use a little less guesswork next time. All the signs point to general acceptance of McDermott at Leeds, complete with the noisy 30k stadium. We were 3/4s full yesterday, but I assume thats because all the stay at homes are idiots right? (And just imagine how much discontent there would have been if the discontented stay aways had filled the other 1/4 of the stadium)

Eh? I'm not the one constantly using everything McD has done and is doing as a stick with which to beat our current manager m8. I hope Brian does very well, he's a great guy who did us proud. I wish we could just leave it there and support the current management, but that's not gonna happen is it?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Dec 2013 13:54

sandman
paultheroyal

Why are there 2 groups? I backed McD whilst he was here & I'd like to give Adkins a chance too. The performances have been very frustrating at times but I don't see what ousting Adkins achieves. We're not going down, we're probably not going up so may as well see what he can do & show a bit of patience.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 22 Dec 2013 15:57

winchester_royal
Cureton's Volley No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

Taking 5 mins to pass the ball into their half = Boredom

Do you think Leeds' 0-0 with Barnsley would have been exciting yesterday :?:

No, apparently it was gash.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 22 Dec 2013 16:13

winchester_royal can you all please stop putting Brian forward as if he were this connoisseur of inventive attacking football

I haven't.

Brian was pragmatic and set his team up to play with passion and pressure opposing teams by pressing in our own half and then getting forward quickly. In the Prem it wasn't enough as we massively lacked the quality to compete. However, the word most commonly used to summarise Reading last season by commentators was spirited. One thing we lack this season is that spirit.

I do not think playing two wingers right out on the touchlines and instructing them to hit the byline to cross or win a corner is inventive, but it's bloody effective. I happen to personally find it exciting also, and it definitely gets the crowd going. Furthermore, it is what our current crop of players are well suited to.

Southampton have done well using a pressing style playing down the wings for most of this season, so you can't claim it won't work in the Prem. Today Spurs outdid them at their own game scoring three goals from balls into the box from near the corner flag.

Yesterday Reading failed to produce that sort of pressure until it was kitchen sink time, where it proved reasonably effective. Yet it is the same every week, we set up to be patient and pass the pants off the opposition, and simply gift them goals by giving the ball away deep in our own territory.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 22 Dec 2013 22:00

I've said before that McDermott is my favourite ever Reading manager.

That said, at the time of his sacking I could appreciate and even agree with the argument that to establish ourselves in the Premier League - which I suppose you could say has been the glass ceiling that we've not quite managed to break through for the past decade or so - we needed to modify our style so that it placed more emphasis on possession and generally having control of games.

However, this was in part based on the presumption that significant funds would be available for an overhaul of our squad and that we would now be in a position to invest relatively decent sums of money to get promoted again and then to attempt to stay there. As of yet I'm not convinced this is going to happen, and if we are to essentially go back to our previous way of doing things from 2009-Jan 2012 (i.e. look to be a club which balances the book, maybe brings in a few players each window but faces limitations in doing this, and which just generally is a Championship club which hopes if it gets lucky it might make a run for the play-offs) then I can't help but wonder if we might not have been better just preserving with McDermott. (I would actually be interested to see how we'd do with this current squad.)

At the moment we seem slightly trapped between the ideal of Adkins's vision and the reality of his current playing squad, particularly the defence. Our passing in this part of the pitch currently looks manufactured and done simply for the point of doing it. I get the sense the players themselves are unable to take responsibility themselves and to apply Adkins's ideals to a realistic match day situation. When we go forward we have at times looked half decent, probably because these players are more comfortable on the ball and also as there is just a more natural use of the ball when attacking. Perhaps this is just the transition we have to go through - but I can't help thinking we will need some significant changes for Adkins to effectively impose the style he'd like upon the team. As above, I'm not sure whether this will be possible under the current ownership and it will be interesting to see how many players we lose should we not get promoted this year.

Quite apart from wanting to see more attacking football, more crosses, more possession or anything like that, what I'd really like to see - or more accurately feel - is a connection building again between the fans and manager, and just generally the team. I couldn't honestly say that I care too much about the whole thing right now or that I particularly look forward to going. By and large I haven't felt such an apathy in the past - last season was tough but I certainly still felt emotively connected to the club and our results. That said, I think such a connection takes time to build; it is the result of a long-term process, often one which involves success. I remember threads on here from autumn 2011 about a lack of connection with those players and that was improved once we went on that title winning run.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 11 Jan 2014 13:22

Seems like Brian doesn't learn by past mistakes.

http://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 7&start=40

He left here with the team not able to pass, one dimensional football and no plan b. He's taken that to Leeds with him.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 11 Jan 2014 13:36

AirRaidSiren Seems like Brian doesn't learn by past mistakes.

http://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 7&start=40

He left here with the team not able to pass, one dimensional football and no plan b. He's taken that to Leeds with him.

HERE ARE MCDERMOTT'S SIGNINGS:

Noel Hunt...waste of money
Matt Smith... cart horse
Luke Murphy...dropped today
Cameron Stewart...missing first 45
Kebe...missing last 20 mins

On their message board :D

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 Jan 2014 13:43

Come on Wendys -2 more needed.

1871 not 1998

by 1871 not 1998 » 11 Jan 2014 13:59

AirRaidSiren Seems like Brian doesn't learn by past mistakes.

5-0 :lol:

Just the response Leeds fans would have expected after being totally embarrassed by League 2 Rochdale.

And you're spot on. As much as I like McDermott (although less so at a club like Leeds), he hasn't learn a thing and the Leeds fans have been moaning for the last month about the football. Once those inbreds turn, it's almost impossible to get them back, especially with no plan b.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 11 Jan 2014 14:08

Platypuss Come on Wendys -2 more needed.

you got it

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 11 Jan 2014 14:08

Platypuss Come on Wendys -2 more needed.

And 2 more you get

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 11 Jan 2014 14:09

13 years at Reading Football Club and the 2nd most successful manager we have ever had.

And you bunch of cunts are queuing up to laugh at him.

Fuck off the lot of you.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 Jan 2014 14:10

Tony Le Mesmer 13 years at Reading Football Club and the 2nd most successful manager we have ever had.

I've been LOLing at LOLeeds for far LOLonger than that.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Jan 2014 14:13

Tony Le Mesmer 13 years at Reading Football Club and the 2nd most successful manager we have ever had.

And you bunch of cunts are queuing up to laugh at him.

Fuck off the lot of you.

Hi Mrs McDermott x

3714 posts