The generic transfer thread

10573 posts
No Fixed Abode

Re: The generic transfer thread

by No Fixed Abode » 23 Jan 2014 16:13

Sanguine As to the why - let's be honest, even with Mata and Lamps gone, Chelsea have too many midfielders. Salah is considered one of the best young wingers in Europe, this is about collecting that talent, he'll probably get as 'many' minutes as Willian.

Willian has turned out to be a great signing hasn't he?

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Jan 2014 16:14

S'different though innit. I agree, Lampard and Luiz may not be there next year but they currently play in the two deeper midfield positions. Matic, from the games I have seen him in this year, is an attacking option, as is Salah. (Admittedly I have only seen two Benfica games this year and he played in a forward midfield role then) So they have lost 2 attacking midfielders in Mata and de Bruyne, who both left as they weren't playing, and as I've mentioned they already have 5 on the books and 1 out on loan.

With Lampard and Luiz potentially going, and the rumours that Essien is imminently joining Milan, that leaves Mikel and Ramires as the two 'holding' players. If I was Chelsea I would want to strengthen there.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 23 Jan 2014 16:15

YateleyRoyal Matic, from the games I have seen him in this year, is an attacking option,

For an "attacking" midfielder - 12 goals in 174 games is pretty poor

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Jan 2014 16:18

No Fixed Abode
Sanguine As to the why - let's be honest, even with Mata and Lamps gone, Chelsea have too many midfielders. Salah is considered one of the best young wingers in Europe, this is about collecting that talent, he'll probably get as 'many' minutes as Willian.

Don't know really, can't say I've noticed him. Only 8 league starts. Signing did the job though - he isn't at Spurs or Liverpool.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Jan 2014 16:21

Sanguine
No Fixed Abode

Don't know really, can't say I've noticed him. Only 8 league starts. Signing did the job though - he isn't at Spurs or Liverpool.

Which is my point really, that's why I think they're signing Salah.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 23 Jan 2014 16:22

YateleyRoyal
Sanguine
No Fixed Abode Willian has turned out to be a great signing hasn't he?

How many wingers do Chelsea have?

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Jan 2014 16:23

TBM
YateleyRoyal
Sanguine Don't know really, can't say I've noticed him. Only 8 league starts. Signing did the job though - he isn't at Spurs or Liverpool.

Chelsea dont play with wingers. They have attacking midfielders. If they are transitioning to having wingers, they'll alienate more of their quality players.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 23 Jan 2014 16:26

Sanguine
No Fixed Abode

:?:

He's awesome. Great work r8, both defensively and offensively. Great touch, rarely gives the ball away. Guess you haven't noticed him as you're not educated enough on the football front.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Jan 2014 16:27

Sigh. We were having a fairly decent football debate and then someone comes in throwing needless insults around.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Jan 2014 16:28

TBM

Or Mourinho is slowly starting to build "his" team....

How many of the current midfield were his signings? (genuine question)

Possibly Willian is the only one - I thought the Schurrle transfer was agreed before his return?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 23 Jan 2014 16:30

YateleyRoyal
TBM
YateleyRoyal

Chelsea dont play with wingers. They have attacking midfielders. If they are transitioning to having wingers, they'll alienate more of their quality players.

During Jose's first reign in charge we had Duff and Robben who were great wingers for us. Our main problem since then has been, we've been a bit one dimensional with the way we play. Perhaps Jose wants a squad more capable of adapting to different situations and opposition. That's how I see it.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 23 Jan 2014 16:32

YateleyRoyal Sigh. We were having a fairly decent football debate and then someone comes in throwing needless insults around.

Not a needless insult. You must be pretty unobservant not to have noticed Willian. Great performances lately and a superb goal at Southampton a few weeks back. It's not always what you do with the ball you know....his tracking back and work r8 is phenomenal.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Jan 2014 16:34

No Fixed Abode
YateleyRoyal Sigh. We were having a fairly decent football debate and then someone comes in throwing needless insults around.

Not a needless insult. You must be pretty unobservant not to have noticed Willian. Great performances lately and a superb goal at Southampton a few weeks back. It's not always what you do with the ball you know....his tracking back and work r8 is phenomenal.

Wasn't me who said I didn't notice him m8. I actually wrote a fairly in-depth article on him the other day....

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Jan 2014 16:36

No Fixed Abode
YateleyRoyal
TBM How many wingers do Chelsea have?

During Jose's first reign in charge we had Duff and Robben who were great wingers for us. Our main problem since then has been, we've been a bit one dimensional with the way we play. Perhaps Jose wants a squad more capable of adapting to different situations and opposition. That's how I see it.

But did Chelsea have the amount of quality 'playmakers' first time round? Wasn't it a fairly standard 442, with the likes of Petit and Veron in midfield and Drogba/Gudjohnsen/Kezman ( :lol: ) up front?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 23 Jan 2014 16:37

YateleyRoyal

Chelsea dont play with wingers. They have attacking midfielders.

They play a 4-2-3-1 - can't remember where it was but they showed a heat map of Hazard and William's average position.......both were wide, the whole game

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Jan 2014 16:39

TBM
YateleyRoyal

They play a 4-2-3-1 - can't remember where it was but they showed a heat map of Hazard and William's average position.......both were wide, the whole game

So you've answered your own question - how many wingers do Chelsea have? At least 2 :lol:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Jan 2014 16:44

No Fixed Abode

I don't watch many Chelsea games in full, MotD don't tend to show much tracking back and work r8.

Needless insult, but pretty standard from you. Shame.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 23 Jan 2014 16:52

YateleyRoyal
TBM
YateleyRoyal

So you've answered your own question - how many wingers do Chelsea have? At least 2 :lol:

I knew the answer

2 isn't really enough, if one gets injured and the other is having an "off day" they need someone else.....hence this "pointless signing"

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 23 Jan 2014 16:53

Sanguine
No Fixed Abode

I don't watch many Chelsea games in full, MotD don't tend to show much tracking back and work r8.

Needless insult, but pretty standard from you. Shame.

Check out MOTD2 on the iplayer, skip to the "analysis" after the game and you'll see how hard William works

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Jan 2014 17:15

TBM
YateleyRoyal
TBM They play a 4-2-3-1 - can't remember where it was but they showed a heat map of Hazard and William's average position.......both were wide, the whole game

I knew the answer

2 isn't really enough, if one gets injured and the other is having an "off day" they need someone else.....hence this "pointless signing"

Sorry, you've still not done enough to change my mind haha. Mata has shown before he's very good at playing wide, and is a much, much better player than Salah. You can't tell me that they're only doing it for profit.

10573 posts