Blackpool home match thread sponsored by Paul Ince sacked

198 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Blackpool home match thread sponsored by Paul Ince sacke

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2014 00:21

Things are looking up with Guthrie, Bridge and Morrison all hopefully back in the next month as well.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 29 Jan 2014 07:10

Ian Royal wrote: Things are looking up with Guthrie, Bridge and Morrison all hopefully back in the next month as well.

Will they get back in the team though?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Jan 2014 08:33

Pretty sure they will.

Akpan seems to be playing at 120% of his potential ability. No question the lad's done good, but I'm still not convinced he's got what it takes to put in consistent performances. Effort and luck can only take him so far, and I can't see him keeping Guthrie out of the team.

Morrison's a shoe in. The only question now is does he replace Gorkss or Pearce. That was a no-brainier before he became injured, but the big Latvian's turned it on.

Bridge was our best player before he was injured, and that was by quite some margin. He'll be strait back in too.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 29 Jan 2014 08:51

Good god, I'd drop Pearce in a heartbeat for Morrison. He did have a pretty decent game last night, probably his best in a while, but he's still cumbersome, clumsy, and this is about his level. (In the future, Morrison and Hector looks a nice proposal, mind you. No disrespect to Gorkss, who was immense.)

Obita continues to impress at left back. Starting to use the mentality of a good attacking left back. Jobi congratulating him on ushering the ball out of play for a goal kick like a seasoned pro was a very nice touch. Excellent captaincy.

McCleary was bang on his game. Almost certainly his best game for us or up there anyway. A constant threat. His trickery was a joy to watch and his thru ball for Alf's third was top drawer. The Pog? Another huge shift put in. Deserved his goal.

Williams and Akpan...who'd have thought they'd make a shrewd pairing? Akpan continues to grow in confidence and Williams is just a one man swarm.

Only slight fly in the ointment was Gunter with a few dodgy distributions, but that's really nitpicking.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Jan 2014 08:59

Ian Royal Things are looking up with Guthrie, Bridge and Morrison all hopefully back in the next month as well.

In order.
No, possibly, possibly.

This is the first time the midfield has looked dynamic. Guthrie will ruin it with his slow play and lack of pace and defensive coverage. Unless he understands he's not the only player on the pitch. Besides we have to play five in midfield with him. Which affects the whole team.

Bridge may break down again. Morrison maybe but the centre back partnership is balanced in terms of left and right footers so why change a winning side.

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 29 Jan 2014 09:03

leon
Ian Royal Things are looking up with Guthrie, Bridge and Morrison all hopefully back in the next month as well.

In order.
No, possibly, possibly.

This is the first time the midfield has looked dynamic. Guthrie will ruin it with his slow play and lack of pace and defensive coverage. Unless he understands he's not the only player on the pitch. Besides we have to play five in midfield with him. Which affects the whole team.

Bridge may break down again. Morrison maybe but the centre back partnership is balanced in terms of left and right footers so why change a winning side.

This 100%.
Guthrie has lost his place.
Bridge/Obita is close but we may prefer the youth option
Morrison for the bench given the length of his break - he's the most likely but its for Pearce/Gorkss to lose.

I appreciate this is just a rewording of Leon's post.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 29 Jan 2014 09:18

I agree with leon.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Jan 2014 09:23

However those players coming back into contention will give the current team motivation to keep maintaining performance levels.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2014 09:28

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Ian Royal wrote: Things are looking up with Guthrie, Bridge and Morrison all hopefully back in the next month as well.

Will they get back in the team though?

Does it matter? Either the team are playing too well and they form a formidable bench, or we've got three top players back in the side.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jan 2014 09:30

Guthrie will need to sit on the bench while the current pair continue to develop and allow us to play the sort of game Guthrie can't. That's not to write him off or belittle him, he can do things Akpan and Williams can't but things are going well at the moment and putting him back in would mean a fundamental change of style which isn't needed.

Morrison is the best centre back at the club and should take his place back. Individually I'd play Kaspars but it depends which pair are most comfortable together and I can't recall Morrison playing too often with Kaspars so no idea if it would work. Just as big a question is whether Hector keeps his place on the bench, if he loses it it may well influence his thoughts about his future at the club.

I'd keep Obita in the side because with a run of games we'll see whether he is the real deal or just a fill in. It's worth finding out and there is no down side to letting him keep playing. Now is the ideal time to push our youngsters and make or break them.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2014 09:30

leon However those players coming back into contention will give the current team motivation to keep maintaining performance levels.

Which was the entire point.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 29 Jan 2014 09:33

Well done Alf, huge credit has to go to McCleary too.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Jan 2014 09:35

Ian Royal
leon However those players coming back into contention will give the current team motivation to keep maintaining performance levels.

Which was the entire point.

Oh right. Sorry. I assumed you meant either or all would feature in a game at some point.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Jan 2014 10:41

TBM Dafuq

How did that come about cos it's very much a HNA thing

Half expecting a whoosh but a quick look at their bench might provide an explaination

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Jan 2014 10:45

From Despair To Where?
TBM Dafuq

Half expecting a whoosh but a quick look at their bench might provide an explaination

lol

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 29 Jan 2014 10:59

Pepe the Horseman
From Despair To Where?
TBM Dafuq

lol

:oops:

old woman

by old woman » 29 Jan 2014 12:38

Cureton's Volley I agree with leon.

So do I :D

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 29 Jan 2014 13:24

The Real Sandhurst Royal wrote:Will they get back in the team though?

Ian Royal: Does it matter? Either the team are playing too well and they form a formidable bench, or we've got three top players back in the side.

Not at all Ian....... we all think we are managers at times so I just threw the question out their for comment.

198 posts