Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by bcubed » 02 Feb 2014 11:31

Libertine
Schards#2 Reading was the optimum club for Brian, known and respected by everyone and coming into the job with little to no expectation. Top bloke and I hope he stays in the game but I don't think he'll be a success at any other club in the top two flights.

I beg to differ Schards. I think he can at least do the job in the 2nd flight. Leeds are just 8 points out of a play-off spot. A team that invested much less in players than Reading did when he was in charge here and a team with much worse ownership situation now than he had with us. But whether he can be successful in the top flight with the big money and egos is another story but I am not saying he can't in the right circumstances with the right backing that will allow him to do things his way. But one thing he has shown is an ability to get as much out of a group of players as possible, in fact it could be argued more than what can be reasonably expected. If he bides his time I expect/hope another Championship club to give him a shot. I am not a NA hater like some are in the fan base and I am satisfied with the job he is doing but I am also an admirer of BM and what he (has shown he) can do...

This ^^^^

If anyone heard Ross McCormack speaking after learning about Brian being "sacked" it was pretty obvious that Brian's ability to work with players and get their respect was alive and well at Leeds. He was genuinely upset at what was happening to his boss. A genuine nice guy - I hope he finds the right club. It was never likely to be Leeds

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Feb 2014 12:37

Can see him getting a lower end Champ job where he might bounce up and down into League 1. Someone like Barnsley, Charlton, Yeovil,Bournemouth etc. Not that those jobs are currently available, but they will be at some point.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Feb 2014 12:44

sandman Yeah you supported him while he was here and since he's gone you've constantly ridiculed him and called into question his professional ability.

Please find the posts where I have constantly ridiculed him and post them here by all means as opposed to just throwing out these meaningless statements with nothing to back it up.

As for professional ability - that's been called into question by many posters on here & funnily enough quite a lot of Leeds fans. Doesn't mean they/I didn't support him whilst he worked here though does it?

Nice try though :wink:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Feb 2014 12:54

All you do is follow whatever the popular opinion at the time is.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Feb 2014 12:55

sandman All you do is follow whatever the popular opinion at the time is.

Poor trolling. Must try harder.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Feb 2014 13:03

Not trolling at all. You confuse it with trolling because a lot of the time trolling involves telling an element of the truth. This is the whole truth.

It's the way you are, you follow the herd.
Last edited by sandman on 02 Feb 2014 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Feb 2014 13:17

Ian Royal Pick your next job a little more carefully this time please.

:|

Leeds are a hugely bigger proposition than RFC, always have and always will be. Why *wouldn't* you take a job there?

Dodgy foreign owner shafts him - not much different to what happens at Reading eh?

The piousness of RFC fans never ceases to amaze.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Feb 2014 13:19

semtex1871 Have you have ever stopped and thought that he may not actually be a very good manager.

Great scout......shit manager. Picks his team based on his personal relationship with the players rather than what's best for the team....

....so, so glad he's no longer manager here....

Did you miss his entire tenure at Reading then?

You are of course entitled to your opinion, as am I.....your lack of respect for one of our very best ever managers says more about you than it does him.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Feb 2014 13:29

floyd__streete
semtex1871 Have you have ever stopped and thought that he may not actually be a very good manager.

Great scout......shit manager. Picks his team based on his personal relationship with the players rather than what's best for the team....

....so, so glad he's no longer manager here....

Did you miss his entire tenure at Reading then?

You are of course entitled to your opinion, as am I.....your lack of respect for one of our very best ever managers says more about you than it does him.

Indeed. Unlike you I'm comfortable with the decision to replace him with Adkins, but there can surely be no doubting that in terms of managing Championship players in this league there are very few better than Brian, and indeed very few who go about their work in such a dignified manner.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Feb 2014 13:31

sandman Not trolling at all. You confuse it with trolling because a lot of the time trolling involves telling an element of the truth. This is the whole truth.

It's the way you are, you follow the herd.

:lol: I support the manager of OUR club. Unlike yourself who has a swipe at Adkins every chance he gets. Those in glass houses & all that.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Feb 2014 13:40

Of course if I was trolling which again, on this occasion I'm not, your constant replies would be a great source of amusement.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 02 Feb 2014 13:58

floyd__streete

Leeds are a hugely bigger proposition than RFC, always have and always will be. Why *wouldn't* you take a job there?

You choose an owner to work with, not the club - Ole Gunnar Solskjær (and then he joined Cardiff)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2014 16:58

floyd__streete

Dodgy foreign owner shafts him - not much different to what happens at Reading eh?

The piousness of RFC fans never ceases to amaze.

Get off your high horse, it's nothing more than hoping he goes to a club that is actually likeable next. Although Leeds have been a basket case before and expectation was likely to be higher than realistic achievement.

And no, it is quite different to Reading. McDermott lasted more than 12 months under new owners here and only got sacked when the team was going down with barely a whimper. He could easily, and would at many other clubs, have been sacked in November / December last season. At Leeds he's been sacked by an incoming owner with, I believe, a criminal record who hasn't actually taken over yet. And that in his first full season there.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 03 Feb 2014 14:02

I've just seen the press conference with Brian McDermott.

As expected he came across as decent and humble.

Main points were

- He's gone back for the Leeds fans and Leeds fans only, even though some of his 'close' friends told him to walk away.
- He was phoned by someone at the club Friday evening saying he is being relieved of his duties and it's been put in writing
- Brian never received the letter but said he believed it was written and signed
- He's now been given assurances that he has total control of football matters
- An Italian player was brought in on deadline day without Brian's knowledge
- Brian says he doesn't have a problem with the player training with them as long as the move is ratified by the football league.
- Gianluca Festa was at training this morning.
- No 'guests' will sit on the bench without Brian's say so.

JIM

by JIM » 03 Feb 2014 14:15

also quoted he wanted a similar relationship with the owners, as he had with JM at READING

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 03 Feb 2014 14:18

Festa was at training? So he's allowing himself to be undermined, even if Festa isn't on the bench! What a joke!

He should have walked away with his head held high. He'll be lucky to be there for the start of next season.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Feb 2014 14:42

SPARTA Festa was at training? So he's allowing himself to be undermined, even if Festa isn't on the bench! What a joke!

He should have walked away with his head held high. He'll be lucky to be there for the start of next season.

Tbf it's not completely unheard of for out of work coaches to visit other club's training grounds and observing how they do things. Also might give him a chance to speak to Festa personally and weigh up what the situation is.

It's a little odd but it's completely different from sitting on the bench on a matchday which is among the more bizarre things I've heard of in football.

Either way there's even more pressure on him now as despite the wave of support from the fans it will only take the next bad little run and they'll remove him in a flash.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Feb 2014 14:45

SPARTA Festa was at training? So he's allowing himself to be undermined, even if Festa isn't on the bench! What a joke!

It takes time to build the constructive dismissal case...

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 03 Feb 2014 14:48

Vision

Tbf it's not completely unheard of for out of work coaches to visit other club's training grounds and observing how they do things. Also might give him a chance to speak to Festa personally and weigh up what the situation is.

It is when that same coach is the new owner in waiting's choice of manager to replace the current one.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Feb 2014 14:53

SPARTA
Vision

It is when that same coach is the new owner in waiting's choice of manager to replace the current one.

If that is the case. By having the chance to actually speak to him he may have more of an idea of where he stands and what Festa's intentions are. I don't see how it undermines him any more than he already has been tbh.

3714 posts