Sheff Weds - Back from the game

291 posts
Glory Boy

Re: Sheff Weds - Back from the game

by Glory Boy » 08 Feb 2014 21:00

Impressed with Wednesday fans singing their version of some continental song. Gave the ground a real atmosphere.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 08 Feb 2014 21:03

It was a clear red, Pearce was looking like a red card waiting to happen right from the get go

While I don't think the pointless hoofing tactics (often to Alf :roll: ) in the last 30 mins were particularly Nigel's preferred tactics, I will blame him for the subs

Taking off Akpan & Williams for the powderpuff Guthrie & Blackman completely killed any kind of game we had going. May as well come off the pitch and let them have the game. As for HRK, I didn't even notice him the whole time he was on the pitch. Dreadful subs

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2014 21:18

P!ssed Off
winchester_royal I thought we played okay considering tbh. Wednesday were by far the most cynical, cheating bunch of c*nts we've seen this season, and given the competition that's saying something.

However, like some, I do think our tactics when down to 10 men were all wrong. We should have sacrificed one of the strikers, but considering the form of Alf and Pog over the last few weeks I can understand NA's reasoning for sticking with them.

When you look at our tactics after going a man down 10 minutes in, it was similar tactics and personnel to when we were throwing the kitchen sink at it for the last quarter against the likes of Forest. We can't play only one defensive minded player in defence for 80 minutes. Stupidity!
Our three best players at crossing it recently were in defence!

Should have gone 3-5-1 imo; sacrificed Alf for Hector.
Hector, Gorkss, Gunter at the back. McCleary and Obita playing wide at wingback.
I assumed McCleary was only going to rightback temporarily whilst the subs were warming up.

At 0-0 that's not a bad plan. At 1-0 down you need to score and taking off one of your two in form strikers is not a sensible decision. Had Adkins done that and we'd still lost he'd have got slammed for it, and rightly so.

McCleary at right back wasn't a problem. He got forward really well still anyway. As did Obita. I'd say defensively, bar a couple of occasions we coped admirably. And we were still in the match and pressurising them the entire game. Even if we couldn't make it tell in the end.

In hindsight, the only thing I might have done differently is bring on Taylor or Guthrie for McAnuff to make the midfield three all proper central midfielders. McAnuff had one of his poorer games after he moved in field and his set piece delivery was woeful.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Feb 2014 21:20

Thought the introduction of Blackman had added a bit of spritely pace that had been missing from our overworked/knackered team.

Sh1t result but not quite the wrist slashing moments of a month ago.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2014 21:21

John Madejski's Wallet It was a clear red, Pearce was looking like a red card waiting to happen right from the get go

While I don't think the pointless hoofing tactics (often to Alf :roll: ) in the last 30 mins were particularly Nigel's preferred tactics, I will blame him for the subs

Taking off Akpan & Williams for the powderpuff Guthrie & Blackman completely killed any kind of game we had going. May as well come off the pitch and let them have the game. As for HRK, I didn't even notice him the whole time he was on the pitch. Dreadful subs
Both of them at the sime time was not a great idea, Williams especially for Blackman. But the work they'd been getting through it was always going to be necessary to put fresh legs in the middle.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 08 Feb 2014 21:34

As usual we lose a game and the doom-merchants are out in force. This game was, effectively, over after 8 minutes. Pearce had been caught out for pace several times in the first 8 minutes as Wednesday started in lively fashion. I wasn't in a position to see if the penalty or the sending off were warranted but we should have been at least one up by then. Alf's decision to try to go round the goalkeeper rather than dink the ball over him (as he did against Bolton) was the wrong one and Pearce's sending off was crucial.

For the remainder of the first half, however, it was difficult to see any evidence that we were a man down as we took the game to Wednesday and caused panic in their ranks. Everyone worked really hard to close them down and create openings although, in the last analyst, we created few clear cut chances. With Pearce off the field it was usually Gunter who joined Gorkss as our last line of defence and Gorkss had a good game marshalling our weakened back 3/4 - maybe MOTM for me.

Wednesday were well organised and dangerous on the counter attack. They had not lost in 9 previous away games so they were no mugs. However their time-wasting started around the 9th minute and their players were falling down like nine-pins in an effort to disrupt play.

In the second half we tired and faded as the wind and rain got stronger causing more errors from both teams. We resorted to hoof-ball for the last 30 minutes or so and this was singularly ineffective! No surprise there!! McCarthy gifted them a second goal but, to be fair, he saved brilliantly early in the second half from what looked like a certain goal.

Individually, no-one had a bad game - Pearce excepted - as we battled hard against the odds. Akpan was a strange mixture of brilliant (and cool) defending and dreadful passing. Gunter played well; Alf worked tirelessly as did Pog and McCleary also had a good game and still managed to get forward frequently notwithstanding his defensive duties. I can't understand the criticisms of Jobi who continued to link up well with Obita. His shooting is wild but his approach play is good and he is playing with confidence. Williams worked hard but was too easily pushed off the ball. I was surprised he was substituted as he didn't seem to be tiring too much but Guthrie got involved and put in a good shift. Hal didn't seem to get in the game but Blackman produced some nice touches.

Finally, I though the atmosphere was pretty good. The crowd did try to get behind the team and the Wednesday fans contributed to the atmosphere as you would expect as their team was winning!

I hope this result doesn't damage confidence. It shouldn't do as we were always facing an up-hill battle after Pearce's dismissal. How long before Morrison is fit? We need him now for sure!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Feb 2014 21:38

Good post, pretty much what I saw

carbek blue

by carbek blue » 08 Feb 2014 21:57

paddy20 Pog has the worst jump for a big man, so pointless lumping high balls as it was coming straight back at us. Better to try and keep it on ground. Think we may have been better off bringing on Hector and taking off a forward, then we wouldn't have been overrun in midfield. Adkins seems to have gone from possession to direct to make up for the loss of a man in midfield. Mistake in tactics for me. Surprised he took off williams to be replaced by Blackman as Williams looked as though he was still ok. Always going to be an uphill struggle but we looked far less threatening in second half than first. Pearce needs to be replaced asap - he is our weak link

Pog was infuriating, he could not win a header and generally goes to ground too easily

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Feb 2014 21:58

retro_royal Matt from Wokingham spot on during the post match phone in with Adie.

Hi Matt

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2014 21:58

The worry is we now go away to QPR with probably an untried young centreback and a winger at left back against potentially one of the best attacks in the division. Two loses in a row, possibly drop out of the play offs, and confidence could take a battering. Then we really need to get a good result against Blackburn or we're really on the slide.

I doubt our morale will be hurt from this game, because we played fairly well and can blame the result on the red card and a dodgy ref (albeit from where I sat at the other end the red card and pen were nailed on).

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Feb 2014 22:04

Ian Royal The worry is we now go away to QPR with probably an untried young centreback and a winger at left back against potentially one of the best attacks in the division. Two loses in a row, possibly drop out of the play offs, and confidence could take a battering.

Suspect that Adkins will stick with Gunter at centre back (I think he's lloked pretty good on the occasions that he has played there) and bring Kelly in at right back.

In typical Reading style I think we will bounce back and get at least a point away to one of the top teams.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Feb 2014 22:05

I have to say I'm finding Adkins' post match comments a lot better these days.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 08 Feb 2014 22:07

retro_royal Matt from Wokingham spot on during the post match phone in with Adie.

Yeah it was hilarious m8

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Feb 2014 22:10

Saw Schards standing over the guy sprawled out by Y24. Not cleaned his teeth again?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 08 Feb 2014 22:10

paultheroyal Saw Schards standing over the guy sprawled out by Y24. Not cleaned his teeth again?

Harsh

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2014 22:14

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal The worry is we now go away to QPR with probably an untried young centreback and a winger at left back against potentially one of the best attacks in the division. Two loses in a row, possibly drop out of the play offs, and confidence could take a battering.

Suspect that Adkins will stick with Gunter at centre back (I think he's lloked pretty good on the occasions that he has played there) and bring Kelly in at right back.

In typical Reading style I think we will bounce back and get at least a point away to one of the top teams.

Might as well drop his trousers in the canteen and shit on Hector's plate if he does that.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Feb 2014 22:17

Turns8

Not wrong there mate...Adie got abit rattLOLed.... :mrgreen:

Hear it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qq63b from 32mins...

Just listened to this. What is this bloke smoking?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Feb 2014 22:40

RoyalBlue And who was the genius who decided to let Antonio go rather than give him a chance with us?

He was shit as usual, terrible first touch. The only thing I'll give him credit for was keeping the ball in the corner but even then we should have just let him cross because we know he puts most of his crosses behind the goal. Would take any of our current wingers over that useless piece of shit, even the fat Dutchman.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Feb 2014 22:50

MmmMonsterMunch
paddy20 Just what did he do when he came on apart from playing safe passes? At least Akpan tries to do something creative and as a result sometimes it goes wrong. Is it all coincidence that without guthrie we started a good run?

To be totally honest, I'm not sure if the upturn in form is to do with Guthrie not playing. I suspect it's just as much to do with us upping the tempo a bit, playing 2 up front & having a bit more confidence. I wouldn't say Guthrie is definitely the reason we didn't have the tempo before either. I also think Guthrie was hampered by his shoulder injury for a few of those matches which didn't help.

Thought Akpan was our poorest player today. IMO Guthrie looked good when he came on - won the ball in some key areas & made some good passes.

Guthrie lost the f[u]cking ball the first time he got it, he let the ball run across his body, was almost caught out doing it, all he tried were safe passes and even then he lost the ball twice.

biff

by biff » 08 Feb 2014 22:58

The traffic situation today was terrible. The game should definitely have been delayed a quarter of an hour or so; its been done for less before.

291 posts