Sheff Weds - Back from the game

291 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Sheff Weds - Back from the game

by Maguire » 10 Feb 2014 12:15

Impossible to evalu8 Wednesday tbh as they played 80 mins against ten men. Afobe was causing problems even prior to the red card but after that they were always likely to take the W. I suppose if you were an away fan you'd be feeling pretty pleased about your afternoon.

Twix

by Twix » 10 Feb 2014 12:15

SPARTA Re: McAnuff. His set-pieces are absolutely dire, and it's not like that's breaking news either. If Guthrie isn't in the side, surely someone else can take the free-kicks and corners? Obita seems to take them if it requires a left foot in-swinger, but he would also be a better bet than McAnuff for a left foot out-swinger. McAnuff is bloody awful from set-pieces!

I thought our corners have been a lot better since Guthrie stopped taking all of them, are there any stats to back that up?
I'm sure I remember seeing one about how poor our corners were before Xmas, our defenders scoring a fair few goals recently seem to back that up too.

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 10 Feb 2014 12:28

sandman If you appeal for a foul you're still trying to get the player in trouble so yes, they are the same. "Two wrongs don't make a right" well that's very idealistic of you but we are chasing a play off place in order to get promoted to the Premier League and all of the money that involves, there is no place for ideals in football. Well done to Obita for doing it, shame it didn't come off.

Pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with football these days.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Feb 2014 12:29

Walkley_Owl
Wycombe Royal
Walkley_Owl Did you have a shot on target in the first 7 minutes? No.

Forced Kirkland into making a very good save from ALF as he was going round him and then another cleared 2 yards from the line after Pog had attempted to be honest and stay on his feet when challenged by three of your players. It's not all about shots on target. Obviously if it was Afobe in the same position as Pog he would have gone down, won a penalty and got a player sent off.

Honesty wins you nothing these days.

Kirkland did well for the Alf 'chance' but lets be honest ALF was poor for most of the game, as was the "Big oxf*rd Russian" but was that down to the tactics employed by Adkins?

Far from being dominant in the first half we stepped it a bit in the second period, we hit the bar twice and had McCarthy making some top class saves.

Best of luck for the rest of the season though.

Our players were clearly knackered in the second half. ALF isn't the type of striker who chases down lost causes, etc all game, so it was hardly surprising that once we were down to 10 men he was going to be all that effective. I would have preferred to see Blackman on at half time in his pace but that didn't happen.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Feb 2014 12:32

paultheroyal Saw Schards standing over the guy sprawled out by Y24. Not cleaned his teeth again?

You really are the hypocrite aren't you? Joking about that, but when someone commented on 2 young lads leaving early - you're all self-righteous because you know they took a distressing phone call. For the record, Schards' dad, who is almost 79, collapsed just before kick-off. Schards spent all the first half with him while he received medical attention. He seems ok now though - thanks for your sympathetic comments. :evil:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 10 Feb 2014 12:59

Isn't it weird having a father-in-law who's younger than you :?:

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 10 Feb 2014 13:00

Reading to appeal against the Pearce's red card.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Feb 2014 13:32

Maguire Isn't it weird having a father-in-law who's younger than you :?:

:lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Feb 2014 13:36

Walkley_Owl I'm sorry but that is crap, we did a job, yes we were helped by the dismissal but in the 2nd period we controlled the game, you had 0 shots on target!

Bottom line. Don't think we had many OFF target either. Reading were awful second half; no matter what the circumstances were our efforts/tactics to get back into the game were disappointing. 0 shots on target, as he says.

The Real Sandhurst Royal Reading to appeal against the Pearce's red card.

:|

If this appeal is successful I will buy Nigel Adkins a new car.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Feb 2014 13:53

Extended-Phenotype
Jobi just isn't a player for the simple fan.

I would argue that, au contraire, the simple fan fails to see that he runs around a lot but actually he seldom delivers. The simple fan sees the jockeying, the occasional beating a player, but not the final delivery failing to find its mark. The simple fan fails to notice the getting caught in possession, the misplaced passes and not to mention the dreadful free kicks.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Feb 2014 13:55

I hope the appeal's successful, then Nige benches him for three games anyway.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 Feb 2014 14:05

floyd__streete
Walkley_Owl I'm sorry but that is crap, we did a job, yes we were helped by the dismissal but in the 2nd period we controlled the game, you had 0 shots on target!

Bottom line. Don't think we had many OFF target either. Reading were awful second half, I don't care what the circumstances were.....our efforts/tactics to get back into the game were poor.

Yep.
We had 4 shots throughout the game. All from outside the 18 yard box, and all off target.

A few people are saying we came close to getting a result with 10 men. When did we come close to scoring? I must have missed that.
The fact is it does not take 11 men to create a goalscoring chance.

Not for the first time this season we were inexcusably completely wiped out by a bit of adversity.
I thought we may have broken our inability to gain points from a losing position when we got the late equaliser at Forest.
But here we are a month later and in in the words of marlowuk "This game was, effectively, over after 8 minutes."
And marlowuk is the one calling people "doom merchants"? Christ, at least I thought we might have been capable of creating one goal scoring opportunity in the remaining 80 minutes, whilst simultaneously keeping out the prolific striker that is Benik Afobe. :|

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Feb 2014 14:10

I can only assume we're appealing on the grounds we want the suspension extended.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 10 Feb 2014 14:11

We had a lot "chances" that essentially didn't come to fruition as we got crowded out in their box or the cross missed it's target.

Yeh we didn't get many shots off, but for a team with ten men we were still in the game until the miles caught up with our midfield.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 Feb 2014 14:15

ZacNaloen We had a lot "chances" that essentially didn't come to fruition as we got crowded out in their box or the cross missed it's target.

Yeh we didn't get many shots off, but for a team with ten men we were still in the game until the miles caught up with our midfield.

I don't recall any 'chances' in particular.
We were still "in the game" because Sheffield Wednesday were too shit to score a 2nd. Until a goalkeeping error gifted them the chance.
And then that was that.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 10 Feb 2014 14:23

I live in Walkley.

Imagine if Walkley_Owl is my neighbour. How weird would that be?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 10 Feb 2014 14:27

P!ssed Off
ZacNaloen We had a lot "chances" that essentially didn't come to fruition as we got crowded out in their box or the cross missed it's target.

I don't recall any 'chances' in particular.
We were still "in the game" because Sheffield Wednesday were too shit to score a 2nd. Until a goalkeeping error gifted them the chance.
And then that was that.

Two or three free kicks in a decent position, corners, and crosses from Mcleary and I also recall Obita beating 3 players, getting everyone on their feet and no one being on the end of the cross.

Walkley_Owl

by Walkley_Owl » 10 Feb 2014 14:33

Ouroboros I live in Walkley.

Imagine if Walkley_Owl is my neighbour. How weird would that be?

Nah fella I live down south now, well four days a week anyway.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 10 Feb 2014 14:42

Maybe we should swap. I could start supporting Wednesday and you could start supporting Reading?

I could teach you how to do motivational booing so you would fit in.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Feb 2014 14:42

You seem quite an angry man, Walkley, everything ok at home?

291 posts