Kevin Doyle

133 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Kevin Doyle

by Royal Lady » 17 Feb 2014 16:27

What happens if one of our players doesn't celebr8 a goal against one of their old sides? Fans would be saying he has no loyalty to us etc. If Doyle had left us in January, I could sort of understand him not wanting to rub it in that he'd scored against us, but ffs he left in 2009 - and has been at other clubs since - so why the heck should feel the need for a muted celebr8ion? Players change clubs all the time - he's always been a great player for us and that doesn't change after he's left, but he's moved on. Some fans are truly pathetic sometimes.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Feb 2014 18:47

melonhead
Extended-Phenotype Each to their own. I wouldn't have celebrated. Reading were a big club for him and gave him his career. He left us, so there wouldn't be any hard feelings there. I personally would have shown a little bit of respect but understand why others wouldn't worry.

Gone down in my estimation as a player but I doubt he cares about that and it's not compulsory to show respect for your old club. Just think it shows a bit of class.

im not sure.
its just a bit of arse licking of your ex fans.
think i have more respect for those who celebr8

I prefer a muted celebration personally, otherwise you're kinda betraying your current fans.

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 17 Feb 2014 19:18

Royal Lady What happens if one of our players doesn't celebr8 a goal against one of their old sides? Fans would be saying he has no loyalty to us etc. If Doyle had left us in January, I could sort of understand him not wanting to rub it in that he'd scored against us, but ffs he left in 2009 - and has been at other clubs since - so why the heck should feel the need for a muted celebr8ion? Players change clubs all the time - he's always been a great player for us and that doesn't change after he's left, but he's moved on. Some fans are truly pathetic sometimes.

Kaspars Gorks has scored a couple of times for Reading against QPR now I think & didn't celebrate either time. Didn't notice anyone slating him for that......

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 17 Feb 2014 21:21

Thought he did the right thing, celebrated the goal then clapped our fans once the game was over. Win win

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Feb 2014 22:51

Fans always seem to have had the approach of being respectful before and after the game and giving stick during... why shouldn't players follow a similar example?

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 17 Feb 2014 23:04

Someday, you people will just have to get over the fact that Kevin Doyle is twice the player Robin Friday ever was.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Feb 2014 23:20

Starfish Someday, you people will just have to get over the fact that Kevin Doyle is twice the player Robin Friday ever was.
Oh Choccy :roll:

royals6719

by royals6719 » 17 Feb 2014 23:38

Starfish Someday, you people will just have to get over the fact that Kevin Doyle is twice the player Robin Friday ever was.

Did you ever see Friday play... I did and there is no comparison to be drawn - like comparing shunt with convey

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 18 Feb 2014 07:55

Much more respect for a player celebr8ing and living in the moment of scoring a goal for the club he is trying hard to help. Not celebr8ing just sits nicely alongside Soccer AM, rumblestix, song sheets and drummers in stadiums.

additional - why are people assuming RFC means much to Doyle at all? He played a big part for us which means a lot to the fans but he is now at his 5th club, maybe we are last on that list of clubs he actually feels emotion and connection to. Maybe there was a lot of personal unhappiness for him when he was here.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 18 Feb 2014 08:04

Ian Royal Fans always seem to have had the approach of being respectful before and after the game and giving stick during... why shouldn't players follow a similar example?

This. Respect before and after the game. During the game is business as usual.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 18 Feb 2014 08:41

I've got no problem with it tbh, just started a poll and a piece on it over at The Tilehurst End

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... t-tu-doyle

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 18 Feb 2014 09:11

royals6719

Did you ever see Friday play... I did and there is no comparison to be drawn - like comparing shunt with convey

Much As I rated Doyle, there is no comparison. Friday would be compared to George Best only less sobre

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 18 Feb 2014 09:11

Glad he gave the fans a clap at the end. He is a top guy all in.

Personally though, I think not celebrating, or a muted celebration, is a good show of respect and one of the nice things in today's game. (If people move clubs every 6-12 months then it would be a weird thing to do but..)

133 posts