LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8691 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Feb 2014 13:53

No Fixed Abode So how much did Liverpool fans have to pay for tickets yesterday?

Nothing-all the scallies just blagged their way in.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Feb 2014 19:10

Halfway twixt lol and horror

Of course, you can find any idiotic view you like if you look in the right places on Twitter, but there were some Liverpool fans in the 140-character world who linked Howard Webb's performance to his former job with the South Yorkshire Police.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 17 Feb 2014 23:08

I genuinely do not know the answer but my feeling is that Liverpool have had far more penalties this season than (for example) Arsenal. I know that this has nothing to do with the 'second' penalty yesterday but can someone who knows their way around the statistical world of these things give a concrete comparison?

Gratitude in advance and et cetera.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 18 Feb 2014 01:38

Starfish I genuinely do not know the answer but my feeling is that Liverpool have had far more penalties this season than (for example) Arsenal. I know that this has nothing to do with the 'second' penalty yesterday but can someone who knows their way around the statistical world of these things give a concrete comparison?

Gratitude in advance and et cetera.

yep you are correct http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_ ... stics.html

they've had a massive 50% more than anyone else.

They've had 6, Palace have had 4

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Feb 2014 10:27

Victor Meldrew
No Fixed Abode Still, Webb evened it up nicely by not sending Gerrard off.

Not exactly evened up as the Gerrard offence was near the end

Gerrard would have also missed the next league game which may or may not be helpful to other clubs trying to get in the top 4.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Feb 2014 12:35

No Fixed Abode
Victor Meldrew
No Fixed Abode Still, Webb evened it up nicely by not sending Gerrard off.

Not exactly evened up as the Gerrard offence was near the end

Gerrard would have also missed the next league game which may or may not be helpful to other clubs trying to get in the top 4.

If, if, if-if Mr and Mrs Lampard had not had sex there would have never existed a chubby little baby.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Feb 2014 12:39

There is no if about it m8 - he should have been sent off for a 2nd yellow.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 18 Feb 2014 12:41

No Fixed Abode
Kitsondinho Was a pen, but Suarez (as usual) did himself out of it by going down like he'd been felled by a sniper.

And that's exactly why Webb should be applauded for not giving it.

Would be great if Webb came out and said "It was a penalty but I didn't give it due to the theatrics of Suarez".

I suppose we should also be LOL'ing at Liverpool for failure to beat Arsenal reserves.

And also, FAO KoS. Another game against a 'big' team where Suarez hasn't scored.

What. Seriously what? It doesnt matter how the player goes down - if he was fouled, he was fouled. The referee isn't there to decide whether or not to give a penalty based on his own opinions, he's there to enforce the laws of the game. The penalty should have stood, despite Suarez doing his best dying swan.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Feb 2014 12:46

While you're absolutely right and I love watching Suarez play; isn't there a little part of you that thought, serves him right for being an absolute helm in this instance.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 18 Feb 2014 12:48

Vision While you're absolutely right and I love watching Suarez play; isn't there a little part of you that thought, serves him right for being an absolute helm in this instance.

Yes. Completely. But it isnt up to the referee to make that choice.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Feb 2014 12:49

Vision While you're absolutely right and I love watching Suarez play; isn't there a little part of you that thought, serves him right for being an absolute helm in this instance.

That's my point. Obviously was a penalty, but it's brilliant it wasn't given because of the massive overreaction by Suarez. I expect him to be out for the season the way he went down. Y8ley in not understanding shocker.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 18 Feb 2014 13:03

Isn't the solution to give the penalty AND book Suarez/whoever for rolling about on the floor?

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 18 Feb 2014 13:33

No Fixed Abode

That's my point. Obviously was a penalty, but it's brilliant it wasn't given because of the massive overreaction by Suarez. I expect him to be out for the season the way he went down. Y8ley in not understanding shocker.

I understood perfectly. I was more taking issue with your comments about Webb coming out and saying it after the game.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Feb 2014 13:42

YateleyRoyal
No Fixed Abode

I understood perfectly. I was more taking issue with your comments about Webb coming out and saying it after the game.

:arrow: Floyds football rule book.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Feb 2014 18:04

Ginger Ninjas Isn't the solution to give the penalty AND book Suarez/whoever for rolling about on the floor?

What would you be booking him for?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Feb 2014 18:08

YateleyRoyal What. Seriously what? It doesnt matter how the player goes down - if he was fouled, he was fouled. The referee isn't there to decide whether or not to give a penalty based on his own opinions, he's there to enforce the laws of the game. The penalty should have stood, despite Suarez doing his best dying swan.

The ref is exactly there to give penalties, or not, based on his opinion, it's the whole point of the referee and a major part of the existing laws.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Feb 2014 19:34

His opinion WRT the laws of the game, not whether he thinks somebody's a pcunt

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 18 Feb 2014 21:46

Hoop Blah
Ginger Ninjas Isn't the solution to give the penalty AND book Suarez/whoever for rolling about on the floor?

What would you be booking him for?

Simulation?! Yes there's contact, but not enough to hurl oneself around on the floor like a dick.

That, and being Suarez.

(Probably belongs on Floyd's rules thread, tbh)

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 18 Feb 2014 21:57

Players like Suarez and Bale seem to think that any contact gives them license to act like a dying swan. There's a difference between contact being made and that causing the player to go down, and contact being made and exaggerating it to influenxe the referee's decision. I still see the latter as simulation.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Feb 2014 22:56

I'd love for players to be picked up on and punished for play acting like this but I don't think it counts as simulation if a foul has been committed.

Policing a rule that means a ref has to making a judgment call on the degree contact has caused a player to fall over would be an absolute minefield. They've enough to worry about as it is.

8691 posts