BFTG QPR

royalsroyalsroyals92

Re: BFTG QPR

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 17 Feb 2014 23:14

Seem like the team we were after Rodgers left and the team were mixing his passing possession style with McDermotts direct style, however I feel like we will keep that balance now.

Game was fantastic, and on the whole can't really fault Reading - just need another 15 of those performances!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Feb 2014 23:52

Basingstoke Royal 54% possession and the first goal were very unMcdermott like.

In what way was the goal unMcDermott like?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Feb 2014 10:33

Basingstoke Royal 54% possession and the first goal were very unMcdermott like.
:|

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 18 Feb 2014 10:35

KDRF We have two strikers that not only work bloody hard, but one is a clinical finisher and the other is good at holding the ball up.
At times, a neutral would have difficultly working out which was which and that is a positive.
Le Fondre is adding more to his game, his linkup play in particular and the Pog is equally as deadly in the box.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Feb 2014 11:11

bcubed
Woodcote Royal
bcubed First half possession was 54% to Reading

Doesn't sound like typical Reading

Just maybe we are playing the Adkins way and maybe it involves possession plus high tempo and maybe it works!

Just perhaps you need to watch rather than listen.

That sentence is not your best work

And i was there thanks - the stats supported what i saw

I welcome the fact that this team is a little better on the ball than most of it's predecessors and I'm happy to give Nige some credit for it.

However, we are now playing in the style and formation adopted by all of Pardew, Coppell and McDermott as opposed to the one Adkins was trying to inflict on us throughout the first half of the season and, frankly, it's rather daft to suggest this is not the case.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 18 Feb 2014 11:33

BenReadingFC "We don't care about Anton,
He don't care about me,
All we care about,
Is Reading FC"

Love it

This got started on the tube to Waterloo, top notch it was too.

philM

by philM » 18 Feb 2014 12:40

"SOME MORE, YOU SHOULD HAVE SPENT SOME MORE"

Great day out.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Feb 2014 12:42

Woodcote Royal I welcome the fact that this team is a little better on the ball than most of it's predecessors and I'm happy to give Nige some credit for it.

However, we are now playing in the style and formation adopted by all of Pardew, Coppell and McDermott as opposed to the one Adkins was trying to inflict on us throughout the first half of the season and, frankly, it's rather daft to suggest this is not the case.

Yep.

And don't forget, some Adkinistas - during that trying first half of the season - were trying to tell us that 4-4-2 was somehow a prehistoric way of playing football as we persisted buggering about with one up top. In the league we are currently in it works very nicely indeed, thanks very much :!:

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 18 Feb 2014 13:00

philM "SOME MORE, YOU SHOULD HAVE SPENT SOME MORE"

Great day out.

That and the McCleary song - good times

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Feb 2014 13:05

floyd__streete
Woodcote Royal I welcome the fact that this team is a little better on the ball than most of it's predecessors and I'm happy to give Nige some credit for it.

Yep.

And don't forget, some Adkinistas - during that trying first half of the season - were trying to tell us that 4-4-2 was somehow a prehistoric way of playing football as we persisted buggering about with one up top. In the league we are currently in it works very nicely indeed, thanks very much :!:

Works nicely too in the Prem, if you can execute it well and have the sufficient combination of energy and skill in the middle of the park - the area in which we have been massively deficient in our last two relegation seasons.

I don't think we were a million miles away from being 'good' last season, we just didn't quite have the necessary quality on the ball to compete in the important games.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Feb 2014 13:12

Woodcote Royal

Just maybe we are playing the Adkins way and maybe it involves possession plus high tempo and maybe it works!

I welcome the fact that this team is a little better on the ball than most of it's predecessors and I'm happy to give Nige some credit for it.

I may be getting carried away with what was a fantastic day out, but it was a superb controlled performance and I think it is possibly something better than we had before under Mc D and something that would help us survive if promoted

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Feb 2014 13:19

One of the many impressive things about the performance was the way we played out the last 20-25 minutes with 10 men. We didn't take unnecessary chances but we remained pretty composed at a time when the pressure really could have been building.

Mind you I suppose we had 80 minutes to practice it last week.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Feb 2014 13:56

Vision One of the many impressive things about the performance was the way we played out the last 20-25 minutes with 10 men. We didn't take unnecessary chances but we remained pretty composed at a time when the pressure really could have been building.

Mind you I suppose we had 80 minutes to practice it last week.

Also the other difference was that we were defending a lead rather than having to chase the game. Against Wednesday we left two strikers on the pitch, against QPR we immediately sacrificed one of them to bring another defender on.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 18 Feb 2014 17:38

bcubed
Woodcote Royal

I may be getting carried away with what was a fantastic day out, but it was a superb controlled performance and I think it is possibly something better than we had before under Mc D and something that would help us survive if promoted

Have to agree - at the risk of sounding like I'm knocking McD I think that Akpan's pass for the first goal would've been a channel ball for Jobi to chase rather than in to his feet between 2 opposition players

Loyal royal 247

Re: BFTG - QPR

by Loyal royal 247 » 18 Feb 2014 19:02

LoyalRoyalFan :lol:

All those highly paid mercenaries did a good job didn't they? Plus, all the fighting in the home end, what a lovely club.

We can't forget about qpr players fighting between themselves!

Winnershroyal

Re: BFTG - QPR

by Winnershroyal » 18 Feb 2014 19:35

Loyal royal 247
LoyalRoyalFan :lol:

All those highly paid mercenaries did a good job didn't they? Plus, all the fighting in the home end, what a lovely club.

We can't forget about qpr players fighting between themselves!

Dunne and Asso Ekotto had to be separated.

There is so much about that game I loved, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Feb 2014 22:06

Woodcote Royal

Remember Pardews love of the 4-5-1 formation. :oops:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Feb 2014 22:25

Lower West
Woodcote Royal

Remember Pardews love of the 4-5-1 formation. :oops:

--------------Forster
--------------Hughes
Salako, Sidwell, Harper, Chadwick

wasn't it?

We're playing Adkins brand of football now. It's not too dissimilar from McDermott's in the same way that McDermott's was not too disimilar from Coppell's the difference being that Coppell and Adkins had / have some threat through the middle and McDermott focussed almost solely on spoiling there.

It constantly amazes me how our fans are incapable of seeing any difference between McDermott, Pardew and Coppell or Adkins and Rodgers. It's just showing up how little understanding they have of the nuonces of football.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Feb 2014 16:15

Ross McCormack ‏@Ross_McC 49m
Pro footballer in celebrating scoring a goal (like he's paid to do) shock horror. Doyle suffered enough at Wolves. Good for him #ReadingFC

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 19 Feb 2014 16:34

Ian Royal --------------Forster
--------------Hughes
Salako, Sidwell, Harper, Chadwick

wasn't it?

We're playing Adkins brand of football now. It's not too dissimilar from McDermott's in the same way that McDermott's was not too disimilar from Coppell's the difference being that Coppell and Adkins had / have some threat through the middle and McDermott focussed almost solely on spoiling there.

It constantly amazes me how our fans are incapable of seeing any difference between McDermott, Pardew and Coppell or Adkins and Rodgers. It's just showing up how little understanding they have of the nuonces of football.

The midfield changed a lot that season. Forster and Hughes were the main two in attack, but I remember Tyson, Rougier, Igoe and Glen Little playing on the wings during that year too. Darius Henderson started on the left wing in the playoff game away at Wolves!
Watson also played a fair amount in Central midfield before Sidwell was signed.