The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

1445 posts
working class hero

Re: The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

by working class hero » 10 Nov 2013 12:04

The Post quotes Adkins as claiming am will be a top four keeper....so when will he be leaving?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 10 Nov 2013 12:13

working class hero The Post quotes Adkins as claiming am will be a top four keeper....so when will he be leaving?

Not only that, he will be a regular in the England set up, but only once he sorts out his kicking , anyone that thinks Ruddy is better than him should be karted off to the funny farm

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Nov 2013 13:51

working class hero The Post quotes Adkins as claiming am will be a top four keeper....so when will he be leaving?

End of this season or some point during the next probably. Depends how much he plays and if he keeps up his excellent performances and progress. Kicking absolutely the only thing likely to hold him back.

Unless we go up and perform well in that time.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Mar 2014 18:45

McCarthy's kicking and general distribution continues to be very poor (if they haven't got a sports psychologist working with him already, then they should do so, because I think this is increasingly looking to be the result of a mental block, as opposed to real lack of ability).

Up until now, despite this weakness in his game, he has kept his place ahead of Federici because of some excellent shot stopping. However, with today's major blunder, I think that is three goals in four games that we have conceded due to his errors? (the previous two being failure to keep hold of realatively weak/easy shots into his chest area allowing fowards to follow up and score).

Given this, perhaps Federici deserves a recall so that we can take advantage of his infinitely better kicking and general distribution and, apart from the gaffes at the start of the season, very good shot stopping ability too?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2014 19:06

RoyalBlue McCarthy's kicking and general distribution continues to be very poor (if they haven't got a sports psychologist working with him already, then they should do so, because I think this is increasingly looking to be the result of a mental block, as opposed to real lack of ability).

Up until now, despite this weakness in his game, he has kept his place ahead of Federici because of some excellent shot stopping. However, with today's major blunder, I think that is three goals in four games that we have conceded due to his errors? (the previous two being failure to keep hold of realatively weak/easy shots into his chest area allowing fowards to follow up and score).

Given this, perhaps Federici deserves a recall so that we can take advantage of his infinitely better kicking and general distribution and, apart from the gaffes at the start of the season, very good shot stopping ability too?

Think McCarthy's kicking has improved. And I think Fed is still getting by having a reputation for great kicking based on form about 4 seasons out of date. It's been merely good the last two or three seasons

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Mar 2014 19:23

It really isn't improving. The simple one, in the first half, along the ground to Gorkss that he over hit and the one that he totally miscued which went straight to a Yeovil midfielder being particular lowlights.

The second part of your post is also wrong and even if it was 'merely good' kicking is still better than what McCarthy is producing.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 01 Mar 2014 19:42

I'll tell you who is a good kicker of the ball -Sal Bibbo.

Worth a punt?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 01 Mar 2014 19:55

BraisingsteakRoyal I'll tell you who is a good kicker of the ball -Sal Bibbo.

Worth a punt?

He really is good isn't he?
Have always thought that

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Mar 2014 19:56

BraisingsteakRoyal I'll tell you who is a good kicker of the ball -Sal Bibbo.

Worth a punt?

Good juggler as well from memory of his time as a professional keeper.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 01 Mar 2014 20:29

McCarthy now gets so worried when the ball comes to his feet that he even managed to get himself into a complete tangle in the last few minutes of the game v 8 men when the ball came back to him and he was under no pressure whatsoever!

As I said earlier, I really think this is a psychological rather than technique issue now.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Mar 2014 20:59

don't have a problem with McCarthy coming for the ball today (as generally I think he stays on his line too often) but if he decides to come he's got to make it. He hesitated slightly before he set off and then didn't look convinced he'd get there so almost stopped. Instead he should have punched the goalscorer's head off!

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Mar 2014 21:01

Also, think we should get rid of McCarthy, Federici and Taylor in the summer and bring in the Yeovil keeper

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 01 Mar 2014 21:17

3points Also, think we should get rid of McCarthy, Federici and Taylor in the summer and bring in the Yeovil keeper

I'm sure he'd much rather play for us than in League 1 next year and it would net us a few £m. Surprisingly he's only 6'3" - looked about a foot taller than that today.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2014 22:05

sandman It really isn't improving. The simple one, in the first half, along the ground to Gorkss that he over hit and the one that he totally miscued which went straight to a Yeovil midfielder being particular lowlights.

The second part of your post is also wrong and even if it was 'merely good' kicking is still better than what McCarthy is producing.

I didn't say he doesn't still get it wrong sometimes, but it's better than it was. Or can you opposition before.

You don't put a keeper in goal just for having better kicking.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Mar 2014 07:52

McCarthy is still young in goalkeeper terms. He will make mistakes as all keepers at all levels do. Yes his "on the ball confidence" needs a little bit of work but part of that also comes from having confidence in the back four and after some of the problems this season there's been I'm not surprised in some of his indecision in that area. Personally think is distribution has improved greatly so no doubt his confidence on the ball will also improve over time.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 02 Mar 2014 17:37

Ian Royal
sandman It really isn't improving. The simple one, in the first half, along the ground to Gorkss that he over hit and the one that he totally miscued which went straight to a Yeovil midfielder being particular lowlights.

I didn't say he doesn't still get it wrong sometimes, but it's better than it was. Or can you opposition before.

You don't put a keeper in goal just for having better kicking.

But you do when the guy who is poor at kicking and general distribution is also regularly making mistakes (3 in 3 now) that lead to goals and his 'backup' is also a very good shot stopper with first class kicking and distribution skills.

In the modern game the term 'football' applies equally to the goalkeeper in a team, they are expected to have very good ability with their feet. Those who have seen Feds play on pitch know that he does.

I really don't buy into the argument that McCarthy's kicking and distribution is affected by his levels of confidence in his back four. We saw again yesterday that he appears to get worried about playing even the most simple pass with his foot in relatively unpressured situations. There was also an occassion when he was called upon to kick clear down the middle (meat and drink to most keepers), and mishit the ball. I'm sure that is symptomatic of a mental block.

It's also slightly peverse that when Feds made a succession of errors everyone was very quick to say he should be dropped (despite his very good performances prior to that) - now the boot is on the other foot as it were.....

That having been said, I was only posing a question about a possible change of keepers, not categorically stating that it should happen.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 02 Mar 2014 17:44

Yep, time for Federici. We've got two great (good) keepers so let's give the one out of form a break. He'll get his chance again for sure!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Mar 2014 18:11

RB I did say his chances were running out. I'm just saying a couple more games to make amends. Federici hasn't been at top form when he has played on the whole, so I'd rather stick with the devil I know who has room to improve.

He's made mistakes, some of them bad. But every player makes mistakes. He's not regularly dropping horrific clangers. He's essentially had two or three mediocre games recently at most. Federici certainly got more patience when he's been in the side.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Mar 2014 19:25

Tim Kruhl dropped a similar clanger in Newcastle's game at Hull but I bet he will be playing again next week unless of course Pardew has a fight with him in training.
Playing behind Pearce would make any keeper nervous-I get nervous watching Pearce and am only sitting in the stands.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 03 Mar 2014 07:23

Ian Royal wrote: RB I did say his chances were running out. I'm just saying a couple more games to make amends. Federici hasn't been at top form when he has played on the whole, so I'd rather stick with the devil I know who has room to improve.

Federici not been on top when he played as a whole------ Did you miss the Brighton FA cup game, Federici was superb considering he had had no match time.

1445 posts
It is currently 21 Sep 2024 16:36