Dirty LOLeeds

558 posts
MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: McDermott, Hunt and Kebe

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Mar 2014 19:51

Bit torn on Kebe....

Will go down in folklore as one of the few game changers we've had of recent years. When he was in the mood, he was unplayable & you just knew he could make something special happen. Good eye for goal & a lot pf pace.

Absolutely a confidence player though & your fans tearing into him won't be helping him at all! Incidentally, he wasn't that well liked under Coppell but under Brian it was like having a brand new signing. He really flourished under Brian so no surprise that he has followed him there.

On the other hand though, I still feel a bit fcuked off that he essentially refused to play for Adkins when we needed him the most. He shirked responsibility & could have had a big hand in trying to keep us in the Prem. Instead, he took out his frustration at Brian being sacked by refusing to play for Adkins, which is hardly fair on the new gaffer or the fans that pretty much adored him.

I bet he massively regrets leaving a club that desperately wanted to keep him & so he should as frankly he's been a bit of a d1ck. He would definitely have been part of Adkins' plans & could have helped get us back up again & have one last crack at the Prem. Instead, his final years are going to be wasted being a journeyman - he will never ever again get the adulation he had with us.

As for Hunt - great work rate, good header of the ball & good team player. Not prolific in front of goal but was generally a great part of a front 2 pairing. Him & Roberts up top did fantastic when we won the league. In all honesty though, mid to lower chump is probably about his level. Great ambassador for the club though & did a lot of work behind the scenes.

Both players are ultimately thought of fondly with us but probably past their best now.

I always wonder how many extra points we would have this year had Kebe just manned the fcuk up & tried to work with Adkins' but we'll never know now... :(

Best of luck for the rest of the season. I suspect all 3 of your Reading connections will be gone come August though!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Mar 2014 19:59

Hunt - Not the most skillful, not the most prolific but a good honest pro and a hugely positive influence in the dressing room. I'm surprised he hasn't had more of an impact at Leeds. His contract was up at the end of last season, he wanted 2 years, we offered 1, he didn't sign

Kebe - two years of shit then 3 years of genius. It took him a couple of years to get his head round English football but when it clicked he was capable of winning games on his own. He was arguably our most consistantly good performer in the Premiership.last season and at his best is more than capable of tearing any full back in the Championship a new arsehole without breaking sweat and was usually a good bet for 7-10 goals a season. However, it would appear that injuries have robbed him of his previously godlike abilities. Why did we sell him? A Premiership team came in with a stupid offer for a player who hadn't played for 6 months. You'd be mad not to.

McDermott - on the playing side, all the ingredients would seem to be there for him to do good things at Leeds. Solid if unspectacular squad, some talent coming through the youth team. He's very much a good man manager. However, at Reading he had a stable club environment and a very good working relationship with the board. Clearly he doesn't have that at Leeds and the current situation is particularly shambolic even by Leeds' standards. He's not exactly the first manager with a decent Championship pedigree to have struggled in charge at Elland Rd in the past 10 years is he?
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 13 Mar 2014 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2014 20:00

johnh
SPARTA Hunt - Grafter, but average striker and glad he moved on.
Kebe - Great pace, never looked like he had full control of the ball but when he ran with it he was almost impossible to defend against. Final ball iffy. Had one good game every 7-8 games. He missed the Reading game allegedly because he was out on the piss after the Bolton humiliation in a strip club (his wife will be over the moon).

How are you enjoying McDermott's orbit football?

Under Warnock we played 'hoofball'. When McDermott came in he said we were going to start playing football with lots of passing. We played hoofball. Then he brought in two wingers and we still played hoofball. McDermott talks a good game but it never seems to transfer to the pitch.

McDermott has been a bit precious about criticisms of the style of his play in the past - didn't react well to it being called direct by the media iirc, but that's a pretty accurate description. Perhaps it comes down to a difference of opinion in what passing football is.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 13 Mar 2014 20:15

I miss Kebe :cry:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Mar 2014 20:18

SLAMMED I miss Kebe :cry:

I do aswell. :(

What a nob though. The grass was definitely not greener on the other side. I find it hard to believe he doesn't massively regret going which cheers me up a bit. He could have made a real difference this year & now he will fade into obscurity. We wanted to keep him & we wouldn't have sold him. I'm 100% sure of that.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Mar 2014 21:04

Hunt, decent fellah...great goal celebrations

Kebe, good bad indifferent

MaccyD, got us promoted

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Mar 2014 22:30

Not much to add - everyone pretty much agrees on the 3 don't they?

When Hunt left this season I didn't really regret it - just never scored enough goals and lacked any real skill .... but made up for it through hard work. A lot like his brother really, but more likeable.

Kebe - always adored the man, but hated the way he left the club, refusing to play and insisting on transfer to CP right at the end of August after having been injured for 6 months; also was starting to wonder whether he was a bit too much of a luxury given how inconsistent he was. Like others have said, he was the one to get us onto our feet with some amazing runs, taking on 5-6 defenders .... but his biggest weakness was his final product (except from one relatively brief spell after BMc first joined and he started scoring for fun); my parody of Kebe would be - goes past 6 defenders, gets into the penalty box .... and falls over his own feet .... or passes the ball to the only defender in the box. But like others, do still miss him.

BMc - thought his time was up ... as his style of football just didn't work in the Prem ... hoofball was the word.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 13 Mar 2014 22:36

Lets face it we had the best years out of all 3

They will never be that good again

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 13 Mar 2014 22:57

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Dirty LOLeeds

by TBM » 14 Mar 2014 10:03

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 14 Mar 2014 11:21

TBM Lets face it we had the best years out of all 3

They will never be that good again

pretty much this. if a club at a similar level to you happily lets one one of their players join you it is usually because he isn't good enough.

Kebe was a true class act on his day, shame that his day only happened about 6 or 7 times a season and that will only decline now

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Mar 2014 11:27

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 14 Mar 2014 13:48

soggy biscuit Kebe was a true class act on his day, shame that his day only happened about 6 or 7 times a season and that will only decline now

I'm soft as shit on questions like this. I really want Kebe to do well, even at Leeds (ditto Doyle at QPR, for example).

These two players are still ours, in my heart :|

johnh

by johnh » 14 Mar 2014 15:51

Many thanks guys for all your comments. The general consensus here is that when Kebe plays or Hunt plays then its like playing with 10 men. Fortunately, they haven't played together so we haven't played with 9 men. :D McDermott is a nice guy (perhaps too nice) and is respected by most Leeds fans but many are losing patience with his tactics (or lack of) and team selection. He does seem to have his favourites even if they are playing crap week after week they still get picked. Best of luck with the rest of the season, hope you get in the play-offs.
PS Once went to Elm Park to watch Reading v Workington (about 1971). Last game of season. The pitch was like concrete and it was blowing a gale. No one could control the ball which spent more time off the pitch than on. The score was 0 - 0 and was the worst game of football I ever saw. :D

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 14 Mar 2014 18:17

johnh McDermott is a nice guy (perhaps too nice) and is respected by most Leeds fans but many are losing patience with his tactics (or lack of) and team selection. He does seem to have his favourites even if they are playing crap week after week they still get picked.

I wish I could say that didn't sound frustratingly familiar but it does. Some fans here still disagree he should have gone, but for me it was the right time to make the change (perhaps three months late). You need only look to the U18's and U21's to see that Adkins style has had a great impact already, and it will with the first-team if given the time to bring in his own players. As for Brian, it's a shame to see, but he doesn't seem to have learnt anything from last season and seems to be very limited in what he can do tactic wise.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 15 Mar 2014 08:25

leeds seeking all round defender....fharade cage is a target apparently.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 15 Mar 2014 11:54

Kebe and McD are really to nice to be able to thrive at Leeds. There's way to much pressure and other distractions.

It's never going to end well for either of them. Somehow I can't see Jimmy getting to cult status with the crowd, they'll always be on his back and he doesn't take the slightest criticism or motivational booing well.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 15 Mar 2014 19:31

Another defeat.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 18 Mar 2014 09:25

Cellino found guilty of tax evasion in Italy. No doubt this won't cause any problems for the Fit & Proper Person test.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 18 Mar 2014 09:50

Uh oh

558 posts