Hooliganism at Reading

455 posts
Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Hooliganism at Reading

by Cureton's Volley » 20 Mar 2014 15:54

ZacNaloen

Cats out of the bag. They asked for it :lol:

Bet the Chronical reply won't be as brazen as the front page, twitter-bleating which signaled today's arrival of this monstrosity of journalism :roll:

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 20 Mar 2014 15:54

Good job this guy who has written this piece of utter sh*t was not around in the 70' and 80's as his typewriter would have run out of ink.

retro royal

by retro royal » 20 Mar 2014 15:56

Sacked in the morning, The editors getting sacked in the morning

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Mar 2014 16:16

After violence reported in the North Stand a couple of games ago, and the broken ankle in the away end at Millwall, I wouldn't be so quick to write off the rise of hooliganism just based on a stat like the number of arrests.

Already thinking about going Upper West for my ST next year.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 20 Mar 2014 16:19

Maguire wrote: After violence reported in the North Stand a couple of games ago, and the broken ankle in the away end at Millwall, I wouldn't be so quick to write off the rise of hooliganism just based on a stat like the number of arrests.

And the flying seats at Brighton.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Mar 2014 16:23

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Maguire wrote: After violence reported in the North Stand a couple of games ago, and the broken ankle in the away end at Millwall, I wouldn't be so quick to write off the rise of hooliganism just based on a stat like the number of arrests.

I forgot about that. Could have had the poor bloke's head off.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Mar 2014 16:25

dizzynewheights e.g

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Mar 2014 16:28

The bit they've got wound up about as well ...

fucking hell.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Mar 2014 16:30

The Real Sandhurst Royal

And who can forget the Somme-esque scenes at Crawley last year?

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 20 Mar 2014 16:31

The first of many apologies from the Chronicle I expect

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 20 Mar 2014 16:54

winchester_royal
The Real Sandhurst Royal

And who can forget the Somme-esque scenes at Crawley last year?

And the horrific scenes of flares 'exploding' at Yeovil

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 20 Mar 2014 16:56

The story has been taken off of their FB page.

The link to the story and comments on my FB have been removed.

I see see this as a victory for HNA

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 20 Mar 2014 17:01

I like the way other local hacks are retweeting the story and congratulating the Chronicle on fine local journalism.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 20 Mar 2014 17:06

wally bassoon I see see this as a victory for HNA

Hooligans 1 - 0 Journos

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 20 Mar 2014 17:33

Now updated with the response from the Editor of the Chronicle: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/anger-after-reading-newspaper-appears-6857241

The editor of the Reading Chronicle, Maurice O'Brien, said he appreciated why people were angry and that the newspaper had not intended to link Hillsborough with hooliganism or upset survivors of the disaster.

Mr O'Brien said: "There is no question we should ever think that Hillsborough was linked to hooliganism.

"There was no intention whatsoever to cast any aspersions at all and indeed, on page 5 inside the paper, we talk about sickening Hillsborough slurs which have been shouted at football matches.

"It is simply the fact at that time, when it happened, when you said to people 'football hooligans', people said 'Hillsborough and Heysel'.

"We certainly in no way would wish to link Hillsborough with hooliganism. That certainly wasn't our intention.

"We have no intention of upsetting anybody, particularly the survivors, having appreciated everything they have gone through over a considerable amount of time.

"The intention of doing this story was to try and point out to people that the issues are still going on, the problems of hooliganism."

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 20 Mar 2014 17:37

I feel it would add to the debate if anyone could post this article or at least explain what it says.

Their website, which I have to say takes ages to load and looks about 20 years out of date, is currently leading on a story about the frustration of Burghfield bowlers over their new pavilion.

I can quite understand why the Liverpool fans are upset. All those years of trauma and an inquiry exonerating them and a down at heel local rag from IT land lazily brands them again. Apologies if needed from Reading fans.
Last edited by Norfolk Royal on 20 Mar 2014 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 20 Mar 2014 17:38

southbank1871 I like the way other local hacks are retweeting the story and congratulating the Chronicle on fine local journalism.

haha.
They're obviously just his mates.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Mar 2014 17:45

Cureton's Volley Now updated with the response from the Editor of the Chronicle: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/anger-after-reading-newspaper-appears-6857241

"It is simply the fact at that time, when it happened, when you said to people 'football hooligans', people said 'Hillsborough and Heysel'.

"We certainly in no way would wish to link Hillsborough with hooliganism. That certainly wasn't our intention.

"We have no intention of upsetting anybody, particularly the survivors, having appreciated everything they have gone through over a considerable amount of time.

"The intention of doing this story was to try and point out to people that the issues are still going on, the problems of hooliganism."
[/i]

They are not going to win with phrases like this. Whether that's true or not, I think it's dangerous for any news paper, particularly one based in Reading which is far removed from what happened at Hillsborough.

The way they've phrased it all is so poor, and having "no intention of upsetting anybody"... is a poor excuse. As it's an article about hooliganism, and the mention of Hillsborough is - by default - linking that tragedy to it.

It's still laughable that they are highlighting hooliganism still exists by doing an article on RFC fans. Any problems that do take place (seat being thrown at BHA, Flare at Yeovil, Crawley and Millwall) in my mind, don't even represent hooliganism.

It's drunken supporters playing up, hardly organised groups hunting out rival fans for a "meet".

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Mar 2014 17:47

Absolutely f*cking awful sensationalist reporting of the worst possible kind. :twisted: Completely and utterly inaccurate. Can't believe that they have tried to repeat The Sun lie in a slightly different form through linking Hillsborough with hooliganism. Also, how dare they portray our club in that manner, even to the extent of even dressing up a model in our kit and getting them to wield a weapon. I trust that press complaints will be extremely busy responding to this and hope that the club do a 'Baskerville' on the culprits (not that 'The Hound' did anything that really warranted a ban from the ground).

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Mar 2014 17:47

And on a side-note, have just been to the Chronicle website:

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/

Just to see if the story is on there anywhere. WTAF is going on with the adverts on the left/right. It's impossible to focus on anything in the middle.

455 posts