The summer: I'm looking forward to seeing.....

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The summer: I'm looking forward to seeing.....

by stealthpapes » 11 Apr 2014 13:44

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 11 Apr 2014 14:19

floyd__streete
UpThePrem Getting pretty pissed off with a lot on here and a lot more at the games (especially the numpties giving the team a load of verbals at Bournemouth. Yes I was there and at Charlton).

Look at you, Superfan :!:

I wish I could add

'Goodbye Reading fans, you sycophantic, thick-necked suck-ups cooing over the ocassional Drenthe step-over congratulating yourselves over how good your support is just because you would applaud a dog turd if it was dressed up in RFC colours'

But sadly I think we're stuck with you all.

don't oxf*rd go then.

Who cares if some kids are star struck by players, its their club as much as yours.

They are enjoying themselves, you're paying money to be pissed off, who's the bigger mug?

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 12 Apr 2014 22:24

joeroyal
floyd__streete All the high-earning, under-performing, preening, tempramental pr*cks leaving the club.

Goodbye Drenthe, I look forward to you Instagramming pictures of your boots and your homies in your own little clique at whatever club you end up next on your journey from Real Madrid to Ryman League, you fat waster.

Goodbye Guthrie, you have the attitude of Joey Barton and half of the ability, you horrible chav.

Goodbye Pog, you have been good to watch at times but all too often you play with all the commitment of someone with M.E.

Goodbye Gunter, you utter melt.

Goodbye Akpan, not sure how much you earn but it will surely be far more than we can afford for your entirely modest abilities.

Goodbye Adkins, you are about as trustworthy as a double-glazing salesman.

If anyone else wants to go then - almost entirely without exception - that is entirely fine by me.

Don't let it get to you just because they earn more then you, have a bigger house then that Pig Dwelling you reside in, have bigger cars, have the latest home entertainment systems, eat at the best places, get the best deals on the things you can only dream of Chin up Chum

I guess some need something to vent at to get over their own shortcomings

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Apr 2014 09:54

Seeing as we're now 8th in the league and likely to tumble even further until the end of the season, what excuse are people going to give now that they can't keep saying "We're sixth, we're sixth"?

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 13 Apr 2014 10:33

I'm hoping that...

Alf
Guthrie
Pog
Federici
Gorkks
Drenthe
Kelly
Bridge
Kanu
Leigertwood
Blackman
Cummings
Taylor

...are all off loaded this summer. Most of them are stealing a living from RFC.

We are not good enough for the top tier yet. We don't have the financial stability either. I would prefer a complete team rebuild with some of the academy players brought through into positions that are currently blocked by overpaid superstars*

I think Adkins will do the job at this club. I have faith in him.

jellytot

by jellytot » 13 Apr 2014 11:03

I am looking forward to seeing the sun. I imagine we might see it for 1 or 2 days in July.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2014 11:12

Royal Lady Seeing as we're now 8th in the league and likely to tumble even further until the end of the season, what excuse are people going to give now that they can't keep saying "We're sixth, we're sixth"?

We'll see where we finish given doom mongers have been saying we're about to drop like a stone all season.

Given the fact that we're 1 point off the play offs and have been competing for them all season, what excuses are the people who said we were shit and would quickly drop into mid-table or worse going to make?

Disappointing season likely to ultimately end in failure. But no more so than either of Coppell's first two years. Despite having a load of injuries and massive off the field difficulties, to the point that for the first transfer window ever we didn't bring anyone in, we've still been right up there.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 13 Apr 2014 12:09

Royal Lady Seeing as we're now 8th in the league and likely to tumble even further until the end of the season, what excuse are people going to give now that they can't keep saying "We're sixth, we're sixth"?

I don't necessarily blame Adkins for us playing on a Monday, tbh.

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 13 Apr 2014 12:47

I have real sympathy with Floyd's level of piss-offedness ( to the point where renewing is not a certainty) though mine stems more from the ownership saga and the missed chance to invest and maybe stay up when we had the chance and the way BMac was discarded by someone who then shafted us. I think you have to mix some nous with young and hungry to get out of this league so if we are stuck with Adkins lets hope he has the chance to get things set up the right way. This league is going to get harder and harder to go up from..

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Apr 2014 13:01

I'd be happy to see the back of:

Drenthe
Bridge
Kelly
Leigertwood
McAnuff :shock:
Le Fondre
One of the keepers

I really like Pog and he has been desperately unlucky IMO to have such little service/support but perhaps it might be better to sell him as well.

That, coupled with Roberts leaving should result in a nice hefty reduction in wages.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 13 Apr 2014 13:16

Ian Royal

We'll see where we finish given doom mongers have been saying we're about to drop like a stone all season.

Given the fact that we're 1 point off the play offs and have been competing for them all season, what excuses are the people who said we were shit and would quickly drop into mid-table or worse going to make?

Disappointing season likely to ultimately end in failure. But no more so than either of Coppell's first two years. Despite having a load of injuries and massive off the field difficulties, to the point that for the first transfer window ever we didn't bring anyone in, we've still been right up there.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
So the 2 Coppell seasons where we finished 3 points off the playoffs we were Automatic Promotion favourites at the start of the season, were we?
Are you mad?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2014 13:31

We were only automatic promotion favourites for Reading. QPR were always ahead of us. And there were plenty of other serious contenders too.

And yes, we were one of the contenders in his first season and in his second.

And Coppell didn't have any ownership problems.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Apr 2014 13:32

Wow, that's a bit premature.

Beat Leicester and we are bang back into the mix

Draw with Leicester and we are back in the top six

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 13 Apr 2014 13:41

Ian Royal We were only automatic promotion favourites for Reading. QPR were always ahead of us. And there were plenty of other serious contenders too.

And yes, we were one of the contenders in his first season and in his second.

And Coppell didn't have any ownership problems.

Ownership problems!
:lol: boo hoo

In Nige's autobiography will the excuses be written in the footnotes or the endnotes I wonder.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2014 13:42

Not enough :| 's in the world.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Apr 2014 13:57

It's hard to argue that we didn't have the following problems this year:

1. A Russian owner forcing through signings like Pog and probably Drenthe

2. Long term injury to Roberts, a great hold-up player, streets better than Pog.

3. Long term injury to Jem Karacan, exactly the bussing, terrier like midfielder we've lacked.

4. A long term injury to Leigertwood who was brilliant ball-winning in front of the defence.

5. A long-term injury to Wayne Bridge, a class left-back, England quality, FB of the season last year

6. Players on the wane (Gorks, McAnuff) who might have been replaced had we had money.

7. Morrison out for a significant time.

8. Guthrie and Williams often injured or suspended.

9. Serious uncertainty over ownership; broken promises over transfer funds.

10. A manage needing to change the system with limited players and limited funds

11. Loss of form (to some extent) to Le Fondre, and particularly Hal Robson Kanu

12. Players like Blackman and Akpan, who MAY come good but look half-finished

13. A large number of individual errors, especially in defence, probably die to confidence

14. A few ordinary games and "fluffs" from our No 1 keeper but not enough to drop him

Are there more?

We are a home draw way from being in the top six at 10PM Monday night and a very good chance to stay there for four games. Finish sixth (even if we go out in the PO semis) may not be a majorly successful season but it will hardly be FAILURE

We need to lose Pog. Not because he's crap, but because he takes up too may wages. Ditto Drenthe, but Drenthe I feel could have a brilliant season next year with a team that passes and moves (like Bournemouth did.)

Gorks needs to go and we need a CB better than our current best, with real pace, with Pearce, Morrison, Hector challenging to make No 2. Unless L-Wood comes good and looks strong enough for one more year we need a really great ball-winner, a "rock" like he has always been at this level.

We need a FAST, brick-sh!thouse, wear-down-the-defence Centre Forward like Shane Long, Holt, someone who batters defences and creates the space for the fairy-feet in the last twenty minutes. We need a good COMBO, something that is missing ATM

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 13 Apr 2014 13:58

The fact that we're still in with a shout of the top six with 5 games to go is a credit to Nigel Adkins, not the reverse. Very few managers would have done a better job under the circumstances!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Apr 2014 14:13

SPARTA The fact that we're still in with a shout of the top six with 5 games to go is a credit to Nigel Adkins, not the reverse. Very few managers would have done a better job under the circumstances!

Playing devil's advocate (I want to keep Adkins) what would be your explanation for the noticeable downturn in performance though? As an example, when I went to the Burnley away game, we lost & Burnley were better but it wasn't through lack of effort. We have undoubtedly got worse & worse as the season's progressed.

This is what concerns me. The players don't seem to give a fcuk.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 13 Apr 2014 14:24

MmmMonsterMunch
SPARTA The fact that we're still in with a shout of the top six with 5 games to go is a credit to Nigel Adkins, not the reverse. Very few managers would have done a better job under the circumstances!

Playing devil's advocate (I want to keep Adkins) what would be your explanation for the noticeable downturn in performance though? As an example, when I went to the Burnley away game, we lost & Burnley were better but it wasn't through lack of effort. We have undoubtedly got worse & worse as the season's progressed.

The goings on behind the scenes always reach the players. I wouldn't be surprised that some are already thinking about getting away and their hearts aren't in it here. The squad needs ripping up, high earners moved on, and start again - this time with players that can play how Adkins wants (possession football, comfortable on the ball, movement off the ball and exploiting space). The first thing he did when he came here was implement his tactics and his style of football at all levels of the youth teams and U21's, and that has paid off this season. He hasn't been able to do that with the first-team though, and that isn't his fault. These players are largely Brian McDermott's, and they were put together to play his style of football. The problem is most of them are unable to adapt their game. After the summers false promises by Anton Zingarevich and then John Madejski's regarding money being there in January, Adkins deserves the chance to have a clear-out and build his own team! It will take time, it may be a slog for a season or two, but it could pay dividends in the future.
Last edited by SPARTA on 13 Apr 2014 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 13 Apr 2014 14:26

MmmMonsterMunch

What was the explanation for the downturn in form as the season progress with Coppell after relegation?

Whatever the cause I suspect it's the same.