BFTG - Wigan

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Wigan

by Will95 » 19 Apr 2014 11:14

Utter bollocks again, this season needs to just hurry up and be done with. Obita the only player to come out of that with a shard of my respect, and at least Hector put in a decent shift. Brentford away next season though? Yes please.

Would not be surprised to see us right down near the bottom next season, if the lack of money continues the way it is we will owe hose out of contract, sell on those highest earners and be left with a largely young and inexperienced squad that will be thrown into a very tough division. Will be tough.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 19 Apr 2014 13:01

If you still hate Futcher Return great day out!!! Leave at half nine in the morning, with the hope of getting there fairly early. But thanks to the wonderful M25 rubber neckers the journey started badly and went downhill from there. As a result after 5 and a half hours we missed the kickoff by a couple of minutes but no worries at least we had most of the game to look forward to.

Then to be presented with the most bland and passionless performance you could think of. I assume that the financial situation means that we can't afford overnight stays in plush hotels and have resorted to travelling in a couple of old Sherpas and a Cortina estate for the coaching team, with the players taking turns behind the wheel. That would at least explain the total lack of any cohesive play and energy.

After Monday night I was hoping we'd at least be in the game a bit but we hardly managed to get over the halfway line in the first half and were just playing channel balls which Pog had no chance of getting on to, not that he was busting a guy to get there mind. If we're going to play like that what about putting McCleary up top instead, at least he'd have the pace to be able to get there and he'd also make a better fist of challenging in the air for the aimless punts we keep playing. After their 3rd went in I thought the score was going to get as embarrassing as the performance and it could've done if McMannaman had stayed on his wing for the numerous times they crossed the ball from the left.

The highlight of the day was seeing a hot air balloon as we were travelling back (yeah I know, clutching at straws) and doing the return journey in under half the time we managed on the way up.

Now that is an advert for why people don't go to away games!

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 19 Apr 2014 13:18

The Marquee bar > the shitty concourse

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 19 Apr 2014 20:14

Will95 The Marquee bar > the shitty concourse

Yeah and nice touch having signs outside making it clear that Reading supporters welcome

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 22 Apr 2014 12:10

Finally back from the match:

After a good point against Leicester it was interesting to see how the team would react to - potentially - one of the biggest games of the season away at Wigan; and the answer is they didn't. They reverted back to the team against Bournemouth, who had absolutely no attacking creativity, and bottled any move that managed to make it past the halfway line. A couple of times a slip would break down the move - players were sliding all over the place - but, more often than not, it'd be a misplaced pass to the home side.

I've given up analysing opposition goals, but what I would say about the first is that Jordi Gomez must love playing against us, what with the acre of space we give to him, and the second saw McCarthy parry right into the middle of the box - it's something I noticed him doing at Bournemouth, and in the warm-up before the game which is always going to cost goals. It was difficult to do much more with it, but not impossible.

Reading just were completely non-existent in the first half, and only brightened up after Wigan killed off the game with a third goal. It was obvious that Pogrebnyak up front by himself doesn't work - especially when all you're doing is putting in balls for him to flick on. He plays so much better on the floor anyway.

In the second half a couple of good moves ultimately came to nothing. A lovely run from Obita had absolutely no support, and Blackman carried the ball forward well before collapsing to the ground. His introduction did seem to help lift the side, and I honestly think that Blackman could become a very good player for us if he's allowed to be, and not made into a scapegoat. He needs to become more consistent, but he's certainly shown what he can do a couple of times this season.

We would have benefitted from Sean Morrison staying injury free an immeasurable amount. He looks so much more comfortable in the 'Adkins system' than Gorkss. Hector's shown that he's perfectly competent too - and we may have been better giving him his debut much sooner. Last season Adkins supporters were saying to give him a full season - he's had it, and although we stand a great position, somehow, it's been a disappointing season. When HRK, ALF, and Blackman came on there was a definite lifting of the side - I'd probably start with them tonight vs 'Boro.

If we win tonight we go back into the playoffs. Time to finally show that desire.