Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Cureton's Volley » 15 May 2014 10:25

Nameless waiting for Anton to sign cheques

Is he not aware of the new 'faster payments' scheme? :o

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 May 2014 10:36

I'll just edit that for you:

Nameless Doesn't say what you think it does though....

Adkins didn't sign a single player, and most of the wage bill was either left over from mcDermott's Championship winning season strengthened even more by multi million pound additional players, or going to Anton's glamour signings

Failing to get that squad into the play-offs is failure, no matter who signed the players. You didn't see Moyes get a pass just because he didn't sign Wayne Rooney or David De Gea.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2014 10:55

Maguire
SPARTA
Tilehurstsouthbank
Is that based on Leeds' superb season?

McDermott's long ball wouldn't have made us any better FFS. Get over it and move on!

What happened to this "intelligent" brand of football Adkins was supposed to bring in? This advanced football that Brian was apparently too limited to understand? All I saw was a season full of total dross including a failure to beat 8 man Yeovil at home.

With the wage bill afforded to Adkins he managed 7th place. Brian won the league on less. Says it all.

brian was proven right and weak, when adkins listened to the players in december and changed the team set up back to how brian had it.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 15 May 2014 12:31

The post I just made over in players released has made me err even further away from McDermott. Yes he sometimes did well taking a punt on a lot of kids and cheap signings, and was instrumental in us signing Long/Doyle - although that came about by way of Dolan, so thanks for that Eamo/Pat!

Anyway, in his three and a half seasons managing us McDermott handed Taylor and Samuel one appearance off the bench each and was was very very risk adverse when it came to giving McCarthy the opportunity to start sticking at times with Federici who was drastically out of form and never gave Obita a look in.

We've now got Obita as player of the season, Hector looking embedded, Taylor has started to have a few games and if he sticks with us will get a few appearances. Finances may be forcing it upon us but it feels like there's finally a path emerging to the first team which in part looks like it was blocked by the manager.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 15 May 2014 13:02

Not sure what the argument is about blooding youth and MCD. I saw Obita's debut under him and was underwhelmed and he was never going to displace the wingers in the side who got to a play off final and won the league. If NA hadn't switched Obita to full back this season would he have had the run of appearances he got this season. Week in week out consistent winger he wasn't compared to McCleary and Mcanuff and he may have struggled to keep his place.
Samuel frankly looked what he was on his debut, a boy in a man's game. Suspect with injuries and others coming through he aint going to make the grade at championship level let alone prem.
Taylor has done what so far, even NA wasn't convinced otherwise how come he didn't play at Bournemouth or feature at all for 2 months.

Also love the Nameless argument that NA didn't get any of his signings in the team. Whose fault was that? The guy was brought in 5 weeks before the prem season ended and had the whole of the summer to do something!

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 15 May 2014 13:07

Fair credit must go to Nige for giving 22 year old Jake Taylor 168 minutes of league action over a 46 game season, even when our midfield was ravaged by injury.
It makes an absolute mockery of Brian's refusal to utilise him in the Premiership or when we won the Championship!

Giving the youth a chance? ROFL

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 15 May 2014 13:13

More it's a step in the right direction....

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 May 2014 13:13

Maguire I'll just edit that for you:

Adkins didn't sign a single player, and most of the wage bill was either left over from mcDermott's Championship winning season strengthened even more by multi million pound additional players, or going to Anton's glamour signings

Failing to get that squad into the play-offs is failure, no matter who signed the players. You didn't see Moyes get a pass just because he didn't sign Wayne Rooney or David De Gea.

That's not what you said though. You said Brian achieved more on less and the response is that it's not a fair criticism.

I'd explain why but first I have to get this f/cking hook out of my mouth.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 May 2014 13:24

Extended-Phenotype
Maguire I'll just edit that for you:

That's not what you said though. You said Brian achieved more on less and the response is that it's not a fair criticism.

I'd explain why but first I have to get this f/cking cock out of my mouth.

obvs

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 May 2014 13:27

lol x 2

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 May 2014 13:28

Pepe the Horseman
Extended-Phenotype
I'd explain why but first I have to get this f/cking cock out of my mouth.

obvs
To you it was, it's your cock.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 May 2014 13:43

maffff The post I just made over in players released has made me err even further away from McDermott. Yes he sometimes did well taking a punt on a lot of kids and cheap signings, and was instrumental in us signing Long/Doyle - although that came about by way of Dolan, so thanks for that Eamo/Pat!

Anyway, in his three and a half seasons managing us McDermott handed Taylor and Samuel one appearance off the bench each and was was very very risk adverse when it came to giving McCarthy the opportunity to start sticking at times with Federici who was drastically out of form and never gave Obita a look in.

We've now got Obita as player of the season, Hector looking embedded, Taylor has started to have a few games and if he sticks with us will get a few appearances. Finances may be forcing it upon us but it feels like there's finally a path emerging to the first team which in part looks like it was blocked by the manager.

Obita would have got a look in if the Championship clubs hadn't decided to reduce the number of subs from 7 to 5 in the 2011/12 season, in fact Brian spoke at an FF where he said how disappointed he was at that decision had been made and that Obita would have featured on the bench a lot more. It was a promotion winning season so he was hardly going to get in at 17/18 when the team are winning.

Taylor was and is imo still not good enough for Championship football, one decent cross against a team that have now been relegated doesn't change that and the only reason he has been offered a contract is because he's cheap.

McCarthy played games under Brian but in his initial spell in goal, although we went on an unbeaten run, he conceded quite a few goals including conceding 3 in games against Forest, Palace and Sheffield United. He was never going to get in during the promotion season because Feds form was so good.

Hector came into professional football late and just wasn't ready. Adkins didn't put him in defence even when Morrison was obviously not firing on all cylinders at the end of the season.

On the not ready theme, have you considered that maybe they just weren't ready at that point in time?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 15 May 2014 13:58

So what's the academy been doing the last 4 four years then?

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 15 May 2014 14:11

The sad thing is that if Anton had been willing to eat humble pie, even with just a few games to go, he could have got Brian back and we would have been in the playoffs.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 15 May 2014 14:44

Bandini The sad thing is that if Anton had been willing to eat humble pie, even with just a few games to go, he could have got Brian back and we would have been in the playoffs.

Too true, but the only pie he's eating is Katsia's

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 15 May 2014 16:45

Cureton's Volley
Bandini The sad thing is that if Anton had been willing to eat humble pie, even with just a few games to go, he could have got Brian back and we would have been in the playoffs.

More like a quiche I'd imagine.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 15 May 2014 16:56

Bandini
Cureton's Volley

More like a quiche I'd imagine.

Fisherman's pie surely?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 May 2014 17:07

A kids fallen out of it so it's probably like a dropped pasty now.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 May 2014 17:13

Cureton's Volley
Kebe is our Messi
TheBaldOne In fairness there would have been a camaraderie and a spirit to the team left over from winning the championship, meaning we probably would have got play-offs at least.

How on earth can you possibly say that?

Because over the first part of the season the team didn't know it's arse from it's elbow, despite having almost everyone fit. Adkins was imposing a style no-one wanted or could play and we dropped points. When you consider how close it was at the end this season those early points would have seen us over the line.

As Mags says, Brian did A LOT BETTER with much less.

cough £26m wage budget and a team with a winning habit cough.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 May 2014 17:27

The Quiet Man Not sure what the argument is about blooding youth and MCD. I saw Obita's debut under him and was underwhelmed and he was never going to displace the wingers in the side who got to a play off final and won the league. If NA hadn't switched Obita to full back this season would he have had the run of appearances he got this season. Week in week out consistent winger he wasn't compared to McCleary and Mcanuff and he may have struggled to keep his place.
Samuel frankly looked what he was on his debut, a boy in a man's game. Suspect with injuries and others coming through he aint going to make the grade at championship level let alone prem.
Taylor has done what so far, even NA wasn't convinced otherwise how come he didn't play at Bournemouth or feature at all for 2 months.

Also love the Nameless argument that NA didn't get any of his signings in the team. Whose fault was that? The guy was brought in 5 weeks before the prem season ended and had the whole of the summer to do something!

Yes, the guy who was misled (lied to?) by the owner(s) when they were trying to get him to join and then wasn't provided with the promised finances. Rest assured he knew who he wanted to sign, unfortunately he was then twarted in the summer when the funding wasn't available to secure those targets. Absolute lunacy to suggest that the failure to bring players in was his fault.

Difference is that Adkins had the professionalism to keep quiet during the season, and concentrate on doing his best to achieve success on limited resources whilst hit by numerous injuries to key players, but then had the balls to speak out and state how it had been (broken promises by owners) at the end. In contrast Brian stayed quiet - lips sealed as part of his pay-off deal?

3714 posts