What innovation would improve the league in the future?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: What innovation would improve the league in the future?

by Big Foot » 20 May 2014 10:05

With the end of season title decider over in Spain last weekend, I was interested to note that in Spain the "tie breaker" is the head to head record, rather than Goal Difference.

If we adopted this, that'd make those big matches so much more vital, instead of seeing teams playing cagey football, trying to hold out for a narrow win/draw so that they don't affect their GD, they'd be going all out for the win.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 May 2014 10:45

Big Foot With the end of season title decider over in Spain last weekend, I was interested to note that in Spain the "tie breaker" is the head to head record, rather than Goal Difference.

If we adopted this, that'd make those big matches so much more vital, instead of seeing teams playing cagey football, trying to hold out for a narrow win/draw so that they don't affect their GD, they'd be going all out for the win.

It also means the results against the weaker teams where City might rack up 6-0 but Chelsea only 2-0 become less important. I think that might be a good thing in some respects but it might mean the league becomes even more about the top teams than the all 20 clubs.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 20 May 2014 11:24

Hoop Blah
Big Foot With the end of season title decider over in Spain last weekend, I was interested to note that in Spain the "tie breaker" is the head to head record, rather than Goal Difference.

It also means the results against the weaker teams where City might rack up 6-0 but Chelsea only 2-0 become less important. I think that might be a good thing in some respects but it might mean the league becomes even more about the top teams than the all 20 clubs.

I see what you mean, but it'd also have an arguably bigger role to play at the bottom of the table - for instance, Norwich were 3 points behind West Brom going into the final day. In their matches against each other, Norwich won 2-0 at WBA and WBA won 1-0 at Norwich.

Therefore, rather than have the task of trying to overturn a GD of 9 or whatever it was, Norwich would've gone into the final game of the season with a more realistic chance of hope of staying up.

(FWIW I don't like Norwich, but this is a relevant real life example)

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 May 2014 21:45

The flipside is that if WBA had taken four points off them, and been three points ahead on the final day, then it would have been impossible for Norwich to overtake them on the final day.

Games can be won by very slim margins, and it could mean a single refereeing mistake makes one team uncatchable.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 21 May 2014 12:19

Relegation play offs a la Bundesliga and SPL.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 21 May 2014 12:37

Local derby day on boxing day - stops all the ridiculous away trips over Christmas

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 May 2014 12:43

bonus point if you win on an aggregate score

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 21 May 2014 13:14

Champions League Play-off - 4th vs 5th

Helps give some outside the top four a chance to sneak in and break the monopoly.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 May 2014 22:39

Stooper Relegation play offs a la Bundesliga and SPL.

That would just result in one less play-off spot, unless it allows the chance of 4 up 4 down.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 24 May 2014 00:16

tmesis
Stooper Relegation play offs a la Bundesliga and SPL.

That would just result in one less play-off spot, unless it allows the chance of 4 up 4 down.

Actually it would probably just replace the playoffs entirely.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 24 May 2014 11:11

Minus 1 point for every £1 million debt that exceeds FFP requirements.

China_royal

by China_royal » 24 May 2014 14:39

Transfer window only once in 4 years, and the club can purchase no more than 3 new players

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 12 Nov 2015 17:06

The Football League to be rebranded as the 'English Football League' from the end of this season so as to give it an identity that is new and distinct. apparently.

what the point? especially when it has been for both English and Welsh teams for yonks

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Nov 2015 07:56

Probably so they can call it the EFL.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Nov 2015 09:51

What a load of tosh.

I get annoyed enough at people referring to the worldwide marketing phenomenon of the Premier League as the EPL let alone a slight more proper league trying to do the same.

Obviously it makes very little difference to me, it's just irritating!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 13 Nov 2015 11:39

Winston Smith especially when it has been for both English and Welsh teams for yonks

So?

Its still the English league - there is a Welsh league they can play in if they don't like it

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Nov 2015 11:43

TBM
Winston Smith especially when it has been for both English and Welsh teams for yonks

So?

Its still the English league - there is a Welsh league they can play in if they don't like it

That's what annoys me about the Welsh sides. The fans are so anti-English. Just fack off and play in the league of Wales then.

Oh no you wont because it's financially better to be in the EFL. Much like these Muslim h8 preachers against the west.........

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 13 Nov 2015 12:21

TBM

So?

Its still the English league

is it though? (genuinely question - I have always thought of it as English and Welsh. not sure what it is officially classed as)

I thought Welsh teams played in the same football pyramid as English teams as there was no professional Welsh League, and when the football league was set up, Welsh teams were invited to join just as English teams were. It was only after all that the Welsh Football League became a more serious affair.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 13 Nov 2015 12:35

Winston Smith
TBM

So?

Its still the English league

is it though? (genuinely question - I have always thought of it as English and Welsh. not sure what it is officially classed as)

I thought Welsh teams played in the same football pyramid as English teams as there was no professional Welsh League, and when the football league was set up, Welsh teams were invited to join just as English teams were. It was only after all that the Welsh Football League became a more serious affair.

I thought they were invited to play in the English system by The FA but still fall under the jurisdiction of the FAW - meaning they are Welsha teams in an English league.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 13 Nov 2015 12:45

I am not going to dispute that they are Welsh teams, my question is really just whether the football league has ever officially been the english football league. Can't be arsed to look up the history but I thought English and Welsh clubs were pretty much in it from the start together.