Confirmed - Le Fondre to Cardiff

796 posts
Mr.Swainey

Re: Rumour - Le Fondre To West Brom or....

by Mr.Swainey » 28 May 2014 18:54

All the best Alf, your goals against Southampton were up with some of the best, if not the best, moments I've had supporting this football club.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: Le Fondre has gone to Cardiff

by SPARTA » 28 May 2014 18:59

£2.5m when he's a free in 12 months? No chance. £1m-£1.5m is about right.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 May 2014 19:05

Royal Ginger
Ian Royal If he expects boos I think he might be in for a surprise.

Why? Are we chucking stuff too?

I'll be chucking my pants at him. *swoon*

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 May 2014 19:07

Good luck Alfie. Lol @ being the same price as Nick Blackman.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 May 2014 19:13

Just been announced on 5 Live as well. Hardly a step up in class.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 28 May 2014 19:15

Sign of the new times I guess.

Shame.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 May 2014 19:18

Knowing our fans we'll still sing his oxf*rd song at matches.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 May 2014 19:21

photographer I'll say 2.5million.

The unfortunate thing about ALF is all he knew was how to shoot well. He was average at everything else. Pog is a better striker (and would have been top scorer if ALF didn't take all the penalties)

Just hope we don't play cardiff in January.

If you like a head-down battering ram type of player who is not very good in the air then I can understand why you would prefer Pog.
I have always wondered how good Alf might be with better players around him-I'm not sure he will necessarily get that at Cardiff although Mutch and Whittingham are good passers of the ball so he might.

Sorry to see him go as I don't think that either Brian or Nigel got the best out of him and often didn't play to his strengths and it doesn't fill me with joy to think that Kanu or Blackman might start in his place-I would have preferred it if both of them had gone to Cardiff.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 May 2014 19:23

Anything over £1.5m is a good deal!! He scores goals, will definately get double figures next season. As long as we can find a goalscorer at this level for half his price it will be business well done

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 28 May 2014 19:24

Victor Meldrew

The unfortunate thing about ALF is all he knew was how to shoot well. He was average at everything else. Pog is a better striker (and would have been top scorer if ALF didn't take all the penalties)

If you like a head-down battering ram type of player who is not very good in the air then I can understand why you would prefer Pog.
I have always wondered how good Alf might be with better players around him-I'm not sure he will necessarily get that at Cardiff although Mutch and Whittingham are good passers of the ball so he might.

Sorry to see him go as I don't think that either Brian or Nigel got the best out of him and often didn't play to his strengths and it doesn't fill me with joy to think that Kanu or Blackman might start in his place-I would have preferred it if both of them had gone to Cardiff.

ALF was obviously impeccable in the air. Pog is much better holding up the ball and bringing other players into play. McCleary and McAnuff were two of the best wingers in the league, and with Guthrie and Williams in the centre I doubt there were many better in central midfield either.

Kanu has played well a few times when he's been up top, but he needs to be far more consistent. I'm actually excited for Blackman, he's shown sparks this year of what he's capable of and I'm just waiting for him to actually achieve it.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 28 May 2014 19:27

Never made a secret about wanting to go back up north.......I'll get my coat.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 May 2014 19:28

Of all the in demand players I thought we might be likely to lose this summer, Alfie was always the one I'd be least sad to see go. He provided a number of gr8 moments, but too often he'd go missing in games and doesn't have the all round skill set required of a modern day forward. Will miss his impact off the bench, but there are strikers around that will be available for the fraction of the price that will do a better job for the team. Preferably someone with a bit of pace.

Cheers Alf, good luck.

the taphouse

by the taphouse » 28 May 2014 19:34

Bring on DA YOUTH :lol:

double d

by double d » 28 May 2014 19:34

Although I am sad to see him go, it is not as big a loss as Mccarthy or G Mac, or even Obita. We can more than easy get a decent enough replacement for him for the fee we got for him. I really, really like those Rotherham players Revel, Agard and the blonde guy Pritchard.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 May 2014 19:44

Oh well, see ya later Alf.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 May 2014 19:48

Those two goals v Chelsea were worth all of your negative traits alone.

Cheers ALF

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 28 May 2014 19:48

This,

First goal.

And this,

Second Goal

Cheers for the memories ALF.
Last edited by parky on 28 May 2014 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 28 May 2014 19:50

Terminal Boardom Just been announced on 5 Live as well. Hardly a step up in class.

Bigger club, more money. You can't blame him.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 May 2014 19:57

kwik-silva
Victor Meldrew

ALF was obviously impeccable in the air. Pog is much better holding up the ball and bringing other players into play. McCleary and McAnuff were two of the best wingers in the league, and with Guthrie and Williams in the centre I doubt there were many better in central midfield either.

Kanu has played well a few times when he's been up top, but he needs to be far more consistent. I'm actually excited for Blackman, he's shown sparks this year of what he's capable of and I'm just waiting for him to actually achieve it.

As they say,it is all about opinions.
Pog is a big lump who at times does hold the ball up and bring others into play but IMHO not enough.
For his size (6 inches taller than Alf) he is a very poor header of the ball.
The number of time Alf made runs that were not picked out by our players must have frustrated him so much and he will hope that at Cardiff those runs will be appreciated more.

The sad part in your post was "Kanu has played well a few times"-in my view 6 or 7 times in about 6 seasons just isn't enough and those sparks from Blackman?- a mere few minutes of sparks over a whole season for a player who cost £1million is a very poor return.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 28 May 2014 19:57

double d Although I am sad to see him go, it is not as big a loss as Mccarthy or G Mac, or even Obita. We can more than easy get a decent enough replacement for him for the fee we got for him. I really, really like those Rotherham players Revel, Agard and the blonde guy Pritchard.

I wouldnt mind betting that the three you have just mentioned will be following ALF.

796 posts