Adkins back to Southampton ?

Caskeys Lovechild

Re: Adkins back to Southampton ?

by Caskeys Lovechild » 28 May 2014 13:28

I didn't/don't like Adkins.

But, unsteadying the ship further at this point, is suicide - the business side is screwed, that much is clear - we need stability in the management in order to stop us from disappearing into Pompeyland.

As others have said - be careful what you wish for - Adkins IS a bell end, but he will see the club through this rocky patch, using youngsters and bargain basement players - and for that reason I'm right behind him.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 28 May 2014 17:47

Under the current circumstances, If Southampton or anyone else makes a £ bid for Adkins I imagine we'd snap their hands off and put it towards the tax bill with Eamon Dolan taking the reigns again.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 31 May 2014 13:45

JakeTheRoyal I think the problem with Adkins is that he is too cheerful all the time. Our fans love a good moan, he has every cliche in the book rolled up his sleeve for the next time we get thumped by Wigan. Look at Brian and the 'small club' rant in the prem. ADKINS = TOO HAPPY

Don't worry, be happy... 8)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 May 2014 13:56

JakeTheRoyal I think the problem with Adkins is that he is too cheerful all the time. Our fans love a good moan, he has every cliche in the book rolled up his sleeve for the next time we get thumped by Wigan. Look at Brian and the 'small club' rant in the prem. ADKINS = TOO HAPPY

Our fans love a bit of honesty more than anything. If the team have played badly people want to hear that they've played badly not be told how great the team were when they obviously haven't been.

He's not honest with people after a game the way people like McD, Coppell and others have been in the past.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 May 2014 14:05

He focuses on the positives like all managers. I've heard brian talk about games positively when we've been shit and I've heard adkins say we played badly. His style is different but the actual message is not much different.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 May 2014 14:17

Really? Because I heard Brian say several times when a performance was poor, games against Plymouth and Sheffield United being the two most famous examples.

With Adkins he'll tell you it was a poor performance and will then proceed to tell you how it was a great performance.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 31 May 2014 14:33

sandman Really? Because I heard Brian say several times when a performance was poor, games against Plymouth and Sheffield United being the two most famous examples.

With Adkins he'll tell you it was a poor performance and will then proceed to tell you how it was a great performance.

Does it really matter what he says to the media? Surely it is more important what he says to the players.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 May 2014 14:42

sandman Really? Because I heard Brian say several times when a performance was poor, games against Plymouth and Sheffield United being the two most famous examples.

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XCmKjijwTQ

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 May 2014 14:56

You should note I didn't say Brian never criticised a poor performance. Just that I had heard him praise a poor one. Two different things.

And well done on showing you have no idea about Nigel, as ably demonstrated by RR.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 May 2014 16:33

Ian Royal

You should note I didn't say Brian never criticised a poor performance. Just that I had heard him praise a poor one. Two different things.

And well done on showing you have no idea about Nigel, as ably demonstrated by RR.

Adkins has spent the entire season spinning poor and underwhelming performances. But not even he could put a spin on such a poor performance so its not a particularly good example.

And using his first name doesn't demonstrate your in depth knowledge of the man.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 May 2014 16:37

What would have been a better example?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 May 2014 17:27

leon
Ian Royal

Adkins has spent the entire season spinning poor and underwhelming performances. But not even he could put a spin on such a poor performance so its not a particularly good example.

And using his first name doesn't demonstrate your in depth knowledge of the man.

:|

You're really struggling here aren't you.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 31 May 2014 19:14

Harpers So Solid Crew McD must be in with a shout?

Brian back here and Nigel back to Southampton.Odds?

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 31 May 2014 19:24

tee peg

Deja vu?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 May 2014 22:27

Ian Royal
leon
Ian Royal You should note I didn't say Brian never criticised a poor performance. Just that I had heard him praise a poor one. Two different things.

No I'm not. Please elaborate on your point.

And please steer clear of snidey little comments, if you can manage that.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 May 2014 23:20

The battle of the snidey comments.

Keep it going chaps.

:lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Jun 2014 00:11

tee peg

500-1

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jun 2014 00:13

Royal Rother The battle of the snidey comments.

Keep it going chaps.

:lol:

Thanks for that. Very illuminating.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2014 01:06

leon
Ian Royal
leon Adkins has spent the entire season spinning poor and underwhelming performances. But not even he could put a spin on such a poor performance so its not a particularly good example.

No I'm not. Please elaborate on your point.

And please steer clear of snidey little comments, if you can manage that.

Could you spell out what you need elaborating on? It's a rather simple premise. McDermott both praised and criticised poor performances in his time here. Adkins has done the same. They have different presentation styles, but at the end of the day the end result is virtually the same with most managers.

You might want to cut back on the snide hypocrisy before you break your glass house too.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jun 2014 01:19

Middlesbrough away last season is a prime example of Adkins. Starts off with 'that wasn't good enough' and then proceeds to do his usual match report saying everything we did was great.

Was speaking to someone in the week who only has a passing interest in football but listens to bbcrb on the way home from work on a Friday. Without any cajoling he was saying how uninspiring and disingenous Adkins sounds and how once you've heard him two or three times you know exactly what he's going to say.

Now there is an element of that last bit with all managers and sportsmen but the first two parts are not the sort of traits you want.