Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by RoyalBlue » 31 May 2014 19:29

Woodcote Royal
Ian Royal McDermott and Coppell's day here is done. Adkins has the seat now and if he left we'd be better looking forward to Dolan or someone new than looking back to Brian. It can never be the same. We've already had his legacy tainted a touch I'd rather not risk destroying it with a second spell maybe going wrong. It would be agony.

It beggars belief that people still slag off McDermott's style of play, with squads deprived of their best player at the start of every campaign, following a season of utter dross from Adkin's and his £16m parachute payment.

His defences can't defend and his tedious obsession with passing rarely produces more than a handful of chances/ shots on target per game.

Given the numbers here who can't wait to stick their heads where the sun doesn't shine, Nige must have the biggest arse in football.

It's not just McDermott I'd have back in a flash, I'm hard pushed to think of another Champ manager I wouldn't swap Adkins for.

This guy has achieved absolutely NOTHING since the day he walked through the door..........................and in my book that puts him on a par with Burns (RIP) and Bullivant.

£16M parachute payment?!!! Like Adkins ever got to see much of that!

How about the money that McDermott apparently had to spend but didn't? One thing is certain, McDermott was given far more money in his last January transfer window with us that Adkins got in the last window! :twisted:

As for Adkins achieving nothing - what crap. Despite the antics, mismanagement and broken promises from Zingarevich, Samuelson, Madejski & co he still managed to get a team/squad ravaged by injuries (to a greater extent than McDermott had to endure) to within a whisker of a playoff place.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 31 May 2014 19:31

maffff Just remember Brian has been sacked twice since we hired Adkins

:lol:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 31 May 2014 19:52

Still cant help but feel after finding out about all the shit going on with the club and what a mess it is backstage, that Nigel hasn't done that badly. Seems our biggest issues were the continuity of the team selection, poor summer signings and a host of injuries - none of these seem the fault of the manager, at least not entirely.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jun 2014 00:37

Ian Royal You can't argue with it no, but not because it's accurate, because he lives in a completely different reality to everyone else. It's so one eyed there's no point arguing with it. You may as well argue geology with someone who thinks the world is 6000 years old.

What exactly do you disagree with?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2014 00:56

leon
Ian Royal You can't argue with it no, but not because it's accurate, because he lives in a completely different reality to everyone else. It's so one eyed there's no point arguing with it. You may as well argue geology with someone who thinks the world is 6000 years old.

All of it. Perhaps it would be easier if you could point to the bits you think are even vaguely rational.
Extended-Phenotype Still cant help but feel after finding out about all the shit going on with the club and what a mess it is backstage, that Nigel hasn't done that badly. Seems our biggest issues were the continuity of the team selection, poor summer signings and a host of injuries - none of these seem the fault of the manager, at least not entirely.

He certainly could have done a better job. Injuries and form played a part but he was still a factor in the lack of continuity. And the continued lack of anything resembling guile and movement in midfield also has to be laid partially at his door.

But yes, under the circumstances his performance is only a minor and understandable fail. Given his record elsewhere is comparable to Coppell's here (46% win rate) it's clear he's worth persisting with. Sometimes shit happens and you have a disappointing season. Just look at Coppell's first two with us.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jun 2014 01:05

sorry Ian, but that's just not good enough. What are you actually disagreeing with?

It's a bit like me saying everything you say is shallow, waspish and ultimately of no importance. Sweeping statement, easy to say. Back it up.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jun 2014 01:07

Ian Royal
leon

All of it. Perhaps it would be easier if you could point to the bits you think are even vaguely rational.

So we're judging the poster instead of the post again then.

Did Reading sell their top scorer two seasons running during McDermott's reign? Yes.

Did we defend dreadfully for large parts of last season? Yes

Did our two main strikers have two of the worst shots per game averages in the division? Yes.

Sure it's ranty but then that's just Woodcote.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jun 2014 01:16

yes to all of the above

I'm sorry, but no one can tell me that what I watched last season didn't happen. I've watched Reading for over 25 years and that was a dreadful season, not because we had a shit team but because we had a good team that utterly underperformed.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Jun 2014 01:22

sandman
Ian Royal
leon What exactly do you disagree with?

So we're judging the poster instead of the post again then.

Did Reading sell their top scorer two seasons running during McDermott's reign? Yes.

Did we defend dreadfully for large parts of last season? Yes

Did our two main strikers have two of the worst shots per game averages in the division? Yes.

Sure it's ranty but then that's just Woodcote.

+ "This guy has achieved absolutely NOTHING since the day he walked through the door".
Failed to keep us up. (Can't really be blamed for that though).
Crap performance in the League Cup.
Crap performance in the FA Cup.
Poor performance in the Championship.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Jun 2014 01:46

Ian Royal He certainly could have done a better job. Injuries and form played a part but he was still a factor in the lack of continuity. And the continued lack of anything resembling guile and movement in midfield also has to be laid partially at his door.

But yes, under the circumstances his performance is only a minor and understandable fail. Given his record elsewhere is comparable to Coppell's here (46% win rate) it's clear he's worth persisting with. Sometimes shit happens and you have a disappointing season. Just look at Coppell's first two with us.

What about them?
Were we touted as favourites for automatic promotion when we narrowly missed out on the playoffs 2 seasons in a row under Coppell?
I'm curious as to why you think Coppell not reaching the playoffs was such a letdown. My experience of Reading at that point had been 4 seasons in the tier below followed by 1 season in the 2nd tier where Reading had massively overachieved.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2014 02:25

Woodcote Royal It beggars belief that people still slag off McDermott's style of play, [quote=Woodcote Royal/]
One person says they couldn't bear to watch mcdermott's side again, another says his style was ugly but effective. This statement clearly isn't accurate.

with squads deprived of their best player at the start of every campaign
Yes Mcdermott lost Sig, Mills and Long. Adkins lost Mariappa & Kebe. He went into the season with one left back and two genuine strikers too, saddled with a collection of over paid underperforming players.

Mcdermott was able to bring in players to strengthern his team every window. Adkins was not afforded this luxury and we ended up with either no midfielders or playing injured players for more than the odd game as a result.

, following a season of utter dross from Adkin's and his £16m parachute payment.
I don't agree it was a season of utter dross. If you think it was perhaps you have set your expectations too high. Performances were not great, but then they were dire under mcdermott plenty too. 7th is simply not dross. It went to the wire and we missed our lower aim by one measley goal. what the frigging parachute payment has to do with Adkins I've no idea. It's hardly his fault he inherited a massively inflated wage bill that we'll make a loss on even with parachute payments barring massive sales.

His defences can't defend and his tedious obsession with passing rarely produces more than a handful of chances/ shots on target per game.

his defences? When did adkins sign pearce, gorkss, gunter, kelly, cummings, or morrison? The main bright light was a young player Adkins introduced to the defence. A defence which was woeful under mcdermott tye previous season as well.
And of course we created endless chances under mcdermott didn't we. Criticising adkins for something that was just as much of a flaw in mcdermotts sides if for different reasons?,
Given the numbers here who can't wait to stick their heads where the sun doesn't shine, Nige must have the biggest arse in football.
Just plain meaningless ranting of no value whatsoever.

It's not just McDermott I'd have back in a flash, I'm hard pushed to think of another Champ manager I wouldn't swap Adkins for.
stupidity to say you'd take anyone at all over a man with 4? Promotions to his name and a very respectable career win ratio.
This guy has achieved absolutely NOTHING since the day he walked through the door..........................and in my book that puts him on a par with Burns (RIP) and Bullivant.
he's brought through at least one excellent youth player and finished 7th with a previously relegated team in financial difficulty and ownership issues. What exactly counts as achieving something? Because by this sort of yardstick most managers wikl achieve this nothing or worse if given one season.

As for the burns and bullivant comparison its ludicrous. Both had us fighting relegation not to get into the play offs. Burns finished nowhere with one of the best funded sides in the division by buying endless toss.

Sorry for the quote fail. That suit you leon?

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 01 Jun 2014 10:33

semtex1871
Woodcote Royal It beggars belief that people still slag off McDermott's style of play, with squads deprived of their best player at the start of every campaign, following a season of utter dross from Adkin's and his £16m parachute payment.

Ok, everyone form an orderly queue.....all together now - after 3

PRICK

We'll said. What a bellend he is. Clueless.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Jun 2014 11:30

P!ssed Off
Ian Royal He certainly could have done a better job. Injuries and form played a part but he was still a factor in the lack of continuity. And the continued lack of anything resembling guile and movement in midfield also has to be laid partially at his door.

What about them?
Were we touted as favourites for automatic promotion when we narrowly missed out on the playoffs 2 seasons in a row under Coppell?
I'm curious as to why you think Coppell not reaching the playoffs was such a letdown. My experience of Reading at that point had been 4 seasons in the tier below followed by 1 season in the 2nd tier where Reading had massively overachieved.

Narrowly missed out? We finished 17 points off 6th in his first season. Had some shocking results, including three 3-0 defeats in a row. 5-1 away at Rotherham anyone? That was when I decided to stop going to away games.

Coppell is an absolute legend, but people forget how poor we were in those first two seasons. We went 11 games without winning in his second season!

Everyone used to sl8 him for his lack of passion and he said himself that if we hadn't gone up the season we did he'd probably have been sacked

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 01 Jun 2014 12:28

semtex1871
Woodcote Royal It beggars belief that people still slag off McDermott's style of play, with squads deprived of their best player at the start of every campaign, following a season of utter dross from Adkin's and his £16m parachute payment.

PRICK

:|

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Jun 2014 12:57

Pepe the Horseman
P!ssed Off

What about them?

Narrowly missed out? We finished 17 points off 6th in his first season. Had some shocking results, including three 3-0 defeats in a row. 5-1 away at Rotherham anyone? That was when I decided to stop going to away games.

Coppell is an absolute legend, but people forget how poor we were in those first two seasons. We went 11 games without winning in his second season!

Everyone used to sl8 him for his lack of passion and he said himself that if we hadn't gone up the season we did he'd probably have been sacked

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Jun 2014 13:04

Lol at me. My phone only showed the first 4 columns, so goals for looked like points. :oops: Point still stands, fans didn't warm to Coppell straight away, and we had some shocking results in those first two seasons.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2014 13:07

Favourites arent that important in tye champ because it's so open. When coppell took over we had started the season well and were right up there. We failed to make the play offs and it was a disappointing result. Pepe may have got the points totally wrong but the rest is bang on.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Jun 2014 13:12

Ian Royal Favourites arent that important in tye champ because it's so open. When coppell took over we had started the season well and were right up there. We failed to make the play offs and it was a disappointing result. Pepe may have got the points totally wrong but the rest is bang on.

Really?
Before Coppell: 15 points in 11 games = 1.36 ppg
After Coppell: 55 points in 35 games = 1.57 ppg

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 01 Jun 2014 14:25

Tony Le Mesmer
semtex1871

PRICK

Perfectly logical and truthful post from Woodcote. You cant argue with anything he's said.

As for Semtex, you appear to epitomise the shear spasticness of our support these days. Congrats.

Yeah, what a spastic supporting the current team and management rather than wishing it would go back to 'the good old days' :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2014 15:06

P!ssed Off
Ian Royal Favourites arent that important in tye champ because it's so open. When coppell took over we had started the season well and were right up there. We failed to make the play offs and it was a disappointing result. Pepe may have got the points totally wrong but the rest is bang on.

Really?
Before Coppell: 15 points in 11 games = 1.36 ppg
After Coppell: 55 points in 35 games = 1.57 ppg

Under Pardew that season - played 5, won 3, drawn 2 = 2.2 ppg.
Understandable slipping a bit for a month with no permanent manager having had the last one shaft the club.

We lost 3 games 3-0 on the bounce at Xmas that first season under Coppell, with some of the most shambolic performances we've had in the last 10 years.

You're probably a bit young to remember it that clearly. You were what? 8? 9?

3714 posts