Adkins back to Southampton ?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Adkins back to Southampton ?

by leon » 01 Jun 2014 01:44

Ian Royal Could you spell out what you need elaborating on? It's a rather simple premise. McDermott both praised and criticised poor performances in his time here. Adkins has done the same. They have different presentation styles, but at the end of the day the end result is virtually the same with most managers.

You might want to cut back on the snide hypocrisy before you break your glass house too.

You said I was struggling. I asked you to make it clear what you meant by that. You obviously couldn't or wouldn't explain. I think you're letting yourself down by not engaging. It's disappointing.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jun 2014 09:18

leon
Royal Rother The battle of the snidey comments.

Keep it going chaps.

:lol:

Thanks for that. Very illuminating.

Oh, I'm sorry Leon, I assumed you were looking for laughs, what with you being undisputed King of The Snidey Comments and all that.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2014 13:16

leon
Ian Royal Could you spell out what you need elaborating on? It's a rather simple premise. McDermott both praised and criticised poor performances in his time here. Adkins has done the same. They have different presentation styles, but at the end of the day the end result is virtually the same with most managers.

You might want to cut back on the snide hypocrisy before you break your glass house too.

You said I was struggling. I asked you to make it clear what you meant by that. You obviously couldn't or wouldn't explain. I think you're letting yourself down by not engaging. It's disappointing.

Ive explained it twice now you simpleton.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Jun 2014 16:11

With players leaving St Mary's in droves this would be the ideal job for Adkins, excuses for his failure are already written

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 01 Jun 2014 16:24

Silver Fox With players leaving St Mary's in droves this would be the ideal job for Adkins, excuses for his failure are already written

That is very unfair on Adkins. He has not once moaned about broken promises regarding money for players or having unsuitable players dumped on him by AZ, in his time here. I must admit that has impressed me about him although many here find it frustrating.

Jimbo

by Jimbo » 01 Jun 2014 17:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hi5k0_hiA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIOp7V9C4UY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCmIUWNuXC0

Three more examples of Adkins being honest about poor performances.

I suggest some people stop making sweeping statements to justify themselves being so far up a certain other manager's arse. The same manager that guided Leeds to a mighty 15th place.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2014 18:58

It's not really about being up McDermott's arse, it's about being mindlessly anti-Adkins.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jun 2014 22:19

Ian Royal
leon

Ive explained it twice now you simpleton.

Piss poor insults Ian? If that's all you've got, then we'll have to just disagree on Adkins.

And Royal Rother, wind your neck back in. I do the laughs, you do the shit music and Arsenal love in.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jun 2014 00:41

Jimbo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hi5k0_hiA0

I suggest some people stop making sweeping statements to justify themselves being so far up a certain other manager's arse. The same manager that guided Leeds to a mighty 15th place.

for leon's benefit.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 02 Jun 2014 08:21

Leeds have been a bloody mess for years. One of those so called "toxic" clubs where everything just turns to shit mainly because the people at the top wouldn't know how to run a piss up in a brewery, so forget running a football club

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Jun 2014 08:25

Reading4eva

Leeds have been a bloody mess for years. One of those so called "toxic" clubs where everything just turns to shit mainly because the people at the top wouldn't know how to run a piss up in a brewery, so forget running a football club

Did you see what happened with our ownership situation at all this season?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Jun 2014 08:52

McD, quite clearly, used to say a performance wasn't good enough and be down in the mouth about it - but we didn't have too many bad performances when he was in charge - not like your Sheffield Wednesdays and your Peterboroughs from last season with Adkins. (Yes we lost many games in the Premier League, but tbh, we were clearly punching above our weight by being there in the first place.) But did Adkins give the impressions in either of those two games, for example, that we were extremely poor and he and the players had let the fans down? Adkins is like Rodgers - he wouldn't admit a bad performance either and tried to concentrate on the "good" parts, of which there were few to none.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Jun 2014 10:25

lets be fair- in terms of man management id say that supporting your players, and focussing on the positives in public, and sorting out the negatives in private is the way forward.
its just that in terms of fan management thats probably not the most popular approach

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jun 2014 18:30

Royal Lady McD, quite clearly, used to say a performance wasn't good enough and be down in the mouth about it - but we didn't have too many bad performances when he was in charge - not like your Sheffield Wednesdays and your Peterboroughs from last season with Adkins. (Yes we lost many games in the Premier League, but tbh, we were clearly punching above our weight by being there in the first place.) But did Adkins give the impressions in either of those two games, for example, that we were extremely poor and he and the players had let the fans down? Adkins is like Rodgers - he wouldn't admit a bad performance either and tried to concentrate on the "good" parts, of which there were few to none.

:|

Peterborough is exactly one of the examples given where he did criticise the performance.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jun 2014 19:27

leon
Piss poor insults Ian? If that's all you've got, then we'll have to just disagree on Adkins.

And Royal Rother, wind your neck back in. I do the laughs, you do the shit music and Arsenal love in.

:D

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jun 2014 19:37

Peterborough 6-0 Reading

Nigel Adkins "Tonight we got a good hiding," added Adkins.
"We know that was not an acceptable result or performance, especially away from home, so my apologies to them.
"And yes, I have to take all the abuse because I am the manager of the team and have every right to do that.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Jun 2014 21:02

Royal Lady McD, quite clearly, used to say a performance wasn't good enough and be down in the mouth about it - but we didn't have too many bad performances when he was in charge - not like your Sheffield Wednesdays and your Peterboroughs from last season with Adkins. (Yes we lost many games in the Premier League, but tbh, we were clearly punching above our weight by being there in the first place.) But did Adkins give the impressions in either of those two games, for example, that we were extremely poor and he and the players had let the fans down? Adkins is like Rodgers - he wouldn't admit a bad performance either and tried to concentrate on the "good" parts, of which there were few to none.

Yes, yes he did.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 02 Jun 2014 23:16

Royal Lady McD, quite clearly, used to say a performance wasn't good enough and be down in the mouth about it - but we didn't have too many bad performances when he was in charge

OMG - the worst football on a consistent basis I have ever seen at MadStad is under McD.
Admittedly we've had poor football for a long time, and I've been attending for over 30 years, but please don't defend the utter dross that we played under McD.
How we won that league is something that people will be studying for years to come, but IMO it was all about a team pulling together, and little about decent football (or the football I would like to watch - fast attacking football like we enjoyed under SSC).
BTW - I wish McD well, decent guy and he got us promoted as Champions, but I didn't enjoy the football.
He has time to refine his art, so let's not judge him forever on what he did for a couple of seasons.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Jun 2014 08:06

So you didn't enjoy watching Gylfi in full flow when Brian came in and built the team around him?

You didn't enjoy watching Long and Kebe running at defenders and pinning them back?

He did what he had to do in the seasons following, namely try to get the best out of players who weren't quite as good as the players who were lost.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 03 Jun 2014 08:54

The difference between McD and Adkins is that McD had the passion, he had the dressing room (until the Guthrie incident). Adkins I feel had the players last season but heads were down from the start of September. Adkins technically is the better manager but McD builds a team spirit and a win at any costs attitude.

Our win at Fulham at the end of the Prem season was sublime. We looked top 10, not relegated