Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Davezk

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Davezk » 09 Jun 2014 13:36

harry
Davezk
floyd__streete What happened at Leeds is utterly irrelevant to this argument.

Mark McGhee got sacked by Wolves. Didn't make his departure from Reading in 1994 somehow less disappointing.

You know Mark McGhee went to LEICESTER before he went to wolves? What has Wolves got to do with this?

Other Reading fans hate Wolves because of McGhee whilst being completely ignorant he went to a different club first LOL

My main reason for hating Wolves is nothing to do with McGhee. It is because the whole town were such a bunch of scumbags when we played there in a play off semi under Pardew. The situation inside the ground was made worse by the ticketing & stewarding which the club control. Outside wasn't anything they could control but just showed the whole place was rotten.

You hate a whole club because there were a few incidents over 10 years ago? Don't be so precious.

Other away days have been just as bad but some fans really cling onto this and the McGhee thing (even though he left us for Leicester). Just get over it ffs.

Davezk

by Davezk » 09 Jun 2014 13:41

floyd__streete
Davezk
floyd__streete What happened at Leeds is utterly irrelevant to this argument.

Mark McGhee got sacked by Wolves. Didn't make his departure from Reading in 1994 somehow less disappointing.

You know Mark McGhee went to LEICESTER before he went to wolves? What has Wolves got to do with this?

Other Reading fans hate Wolves because of McGhee whilst being completely ignorant he went to a different club first LOL

Yes, but my point about him being sacked at Wolves was because he wasn't sacked by Leicester :!:

Still doesn't stop you harping on about Wolves though at every opportunity because of McGhee. It was Leicester who poached him though so just making sure you know your facts.

Davezk

by Davezk » 09 Jun 2014 13:43

Sure every post I've read from you over the years is either slating the club or having a dig a 'WoLOLves' like a ****ing child.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Jun 2014 13:51

Nice hattrick Dave, and a dig at floyd to boot.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Jun 2014 13:51

Davezk My dad is a Wolves fan and my mum is a Villa fan.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122755&p=3974403#p3974403

.....just so everyone knows.

And I clearly wasn't having a go at Wolves in that McGhee comparsion was I, Jesus wept :| Go and read it again.

floyd__streete Mark McGhee got sacked by Wolves. Didn't make his departure from Reading in 1994 somehow less disappointing.

How was I having any sort of a pop at Wolves here? Care to tell me?

I didn't say Mark McGhee got sacked by Leicester. Didn't make his departure from Reading in 1994 somehow less disappointing because, as you rightly point on, he wasn't sacked by Leicester. I was making a comparison with McDermott; subsequent failure at another club doesn't make the context of McGhee's and McDermott's respective departures from Reading any less disappointing (albeit for differing reasons).

I await your apology.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 09 Jun 2014 13:57, edited 2 times in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jun 2014 13:55

floyd__streete

And I clearly wasn't having a go at Wolves in that McGhee comparsion was I, Jesus wept :| Go and read it again.

So you could say, he was... raised by Wolves?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jun 2014 18:25

Zana Badawi Do we still believe that players are sourced solely and exclusively by the manager at this club - especially as we have a Director of Football.
Given that McDermott was a scout prior to being manager - are we then saying he had no input on sourcing players during his time as a scout?

Where does McDermott's influence begin and end and specifically on what players?

And I wouldn't say that Adkins era is characterised by better signings than McDermott's - and Im not entirely sure Adkins has been involved in any - he didn't get the two he wanted, and neither were particularly earth shattering

Ian Royal I'm not sure you could describe any of those last three as particularly top signings. One couldn't force a regular first 11 birth and the ther two were bought for the PL one performed fairly badly and the other didn't exactly set the world on fire. They've performed much better at a lower level and under Adkins.

Really? Alfie better under Adkins?
Really? Last season had all the hallmarks of a player and manager not really rating one another.

Last sentence meant to follow on directly from the previous one, ie McCleary and Gunter. ALF's just been ALF always.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jun 2014 15:10

floyd__streete

floyd__streete Mark McGhee got sacked by Wolves. Didn't make his departure from Reading in 1994 somehow less disappointing.

How was I having any sort of a pop at Wolves here? Care to tell me?

I didn't say Mark McGhee got sacked by Leicester. Didn't make his departure from Reading in 1994 somehow less disappointing because, as you rightly point on, he wasn't sacked by Leicester. I was making a comparison with McDermott; subsequent failure at another club doesn't make the context of McGhee's and McDermott's respective departures from Reading any less disappointing (albeit for differing reasons).

I await your apology.

Pretty stupid point though. When we move on players we feel pretty vindicated when they are dog shit for their new clubs and rather disappointed if they suddenly start banging in goals every match.

McD's omni-meLOLtdown at Leeds at the very least confirms we'd be no better off with him than without him, unless of course we were entering a manager in the "who can get sacked the most in a fortnight" competition.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Jun 2014 20:17

All I know is a lot of people were pro-McDermotts sacking not only because of the results but also they poor standard of play, Leeds fans are saying pretty much the same about him.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Jun 2014 20:33

pretty much a natural reaction to a team that were facing relegation, and a team that were facing no chance of promotion.

Until football shakes off this "hire and fire" attitude....it will bbq itself.

It doesn't work too well in industry or commerce

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 10 Jun 2014 21:00

Davezk
harry
Davezk

My main reason for hating Wolves is nothing to do with McGhee. It is because the whole town were such a bunch of scumbags when we played there in a play off semi under Pardew. The situation inside the ground was made worse by the ticketing & stewarding which the club control. Outside wasn't anything they could control but just showed the whole place was rotten.

You hate a whole club because there were a few incidents over 10 years ago? Don't be so precious.

Other away days have been just as bad but some fans really cling onto this and the McGhee thing (even though he left us for Leicester). Just get over it ffs.

Apologies if it wasn't clear. I didn't mean the whole club. I meant the whole rotten town. Hope that's clarified matters.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 10 Jun 2014 22:18

Pepe the Horseman
floyd__streete

So you could say, he was... raised by Wolves?

tough crowd homeboy

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Jun 2014 10:20

I liked it.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jun 2014 10:36

Thanks leon x

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 11 Jun 2014 11:04

harry Didn't McD scout Kevin Doyle & Shane Long under Coppell?

It worked along the lines of.......

Pat Dolan recommended Doyle to Eamon Dolan who spoke to Brian McDermott as scout who went out to Ireland to meet with Pat and struck the deal re: Doyle, spotted Long and got them to throw him in on the deal before Coppell et al signed it off and McDermott took full credit at every opportunity.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Jun 2014 11:06

Every extra day of uncertainty is a day closer to the hapless Adkins leaving and the revered Brian McDermott returning to the welcoming bosom of Reading FC.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jun 2014 11:45

At least we know McDermott will always be available.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 11 Jun 2014 12:00

Pepe the Horseman Thanks leon x

i liked it as well, it's just lost on the TB

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jun 2014 12:10

Whatevs
Pepe the Horseman Thanks leon x

i liked it as well, it's just lost on the TB

Thanks pickle. I'm really trying to bring an element of fun to the team board, you know?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Jun 2014 12:20

maffff
harry Didn't McD scout Kevin Doyle & Shane Long under Coppell?

It worked along the lines of.......

Pat Dolan recommended Doyle to Eamon Dolan who spoke to Brian McDermott as scout who went out to Ireland to meet with Pat and struck the deal re: Doyle, spotted Long and got them to throw him in on the deal before Coppell et al signed it off and McDermott took full credit at every opportunity.

Don't make things like that up, it does you no favours.

3714 posts