The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2024/25

8018 posts
If you still hate Futcher

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2014/15

by If you still hate Futcher » 16 Aug 2014 10:27

I'm expecting a whoosh here but do they really restrict the numbers for certain positions on the bench? Sounds a bit draconian and how would they police it if you've got an Adie Williams who could conceivably play every position

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 16 Aug 2014 12:01

SCIAG The U21s lost 1-0 to Arsenal, who picked a strong side including Miquel and Akpom.

Our team: Lincoln; Dickie, Griffin, Hyam, Sweeney (McLennan 78); Shaughnessy, Fridjonsson (Cardwell 56), Owusu, Fosu, Kelly; Samuel

We had a centre back at right back because Owusu is needed on the wing. I'd guess that Kelly dropped deeper when Cardwell came on and we either switched to 4-4-2 or Cardwell took Kelly's position.

We've got a serious lack of wingers at all levels right now, particularly with Edwards bizarrely being used centrally. Of course, it will be an abundance (except at U18) when McCleary, HRK and Mackie are fit.

Keown is injured, but I think Cooper, Long, Kuhl, Tshibola, Tanner and Stacey are all fit, and therefore it is fair to assume being saved for tomorrow - that could even be tomorrow's bench, minus McCarthy. 13 Academy graduates in the 18 :shock:

I thought Dickie looked pretty good at RB!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Aug 2014 12:08

kwik-silva
SCIAG The U21s lost 1-0 to Arsenal, who picked a strong side including Miquel and Akpom.

Our team: Lincoln; Dickie, Griffin, Hyam, Sweeney (McLennan 78); Shaughnessy, Fridjonsson (Cardwell 56), Owusu, Fosu, Kelly; Samuel

We had a centre back at right back because Owusu is needed on the wing. I'd guess that Kelly dropped deeper when Cardwell came on and we either switched to 4-4-2 or Cardwell took Kelly's position.

We've got a serious lack of wingers at all levels right now, particularly with Edwards bizarrely being used centrally. Of course, it will be an abundance (except at U18) when McCleary, HRK and Mackie are fit.

Keown is injured, but I think Cooper, Long, Kuhl, Tshibola, Tanner and Stacey are all fit, and therefore it is fair to assume being saved for tomorrow - that could even be tomorrow's bench, minus McCarthy. 13 Academy graduates in the 18 :shock:

I thought Dickie looked pretty good at RB!

Anybody else look good?

No surprise to see us lose last night, half our U21's are with the first team atm.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 16 Aug 2014 12:26

Whoever was playing RW [I guess that was Owusu?] looked lively. Kelly looked alright, and Cardwell was bustling about after he came on as well. The whole team need to work on shooting, Samuel in particular kept shooting high and wide from 20-25 yards which wasn't always the best option. Lincoln needs to work a bit on his handling as well. Probably lucky not to concede another, they managed to get behind Griffin at almost every opportunity. It was pretty obvious to see who the better team was [Spoiler: not us] but gave it a good go.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 16 Aug 2014 12:47

We have a number of players on the bench for the first team who still qualify for this level, and who were the standouts for us last year, so no shock the ones who are left aren't looking quite as good as last year really.

More interested in what the U18s get up to this year.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Aug 2014 12:52

If you still hate Futcher I'm expecting a whoosh here but do they really restrict the numbers for certain positions on the bench? Sounds a bit draconian and how would they police it if you've got an Adie Williams who could conceivably play every position

I suspect he meant that with 5 subs you need a sensible mix (keeper, couple of defenders, couple of midfielders of different types and a striker).
Any official restriction would be pointless and unenforceable given different formations , players playing multiple positions, availability etc. it would be bizarre if a team had a midfield injury crisis and were unable to have 2 midfielders on the bench but were prevented from adding extra defenders to make up the full compliment.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 16 Aug 2014 13:17

ZacNaloen We have a number of players on the bench for the first team who still qualify for this level, and who were the standouts for us last year, so no shock the ones who are left aren't looking quite as good as last year really.

More interested in what the U18s get up to this year.

You wasn't at the match so you can't make a judgement like that and as for kwik you need to study how strong that
Arsenal U21 Team were.

If you went through that Arsenal Team it was full of internationals, there defence had been on loan to championship
and European Teams as well as been on the bench for Arsenal 1st Team. The ground was full of Arsenal supporters and
Arsenal bought a very strong Team.

Too cut a long story short Reading had more possession then Arsenal especially in the 2nd Half. Samuel had a goal disallowed and Reading played really well considering we don't buy in our youth team.

So because you are not around the Reading first Team does not make you not as good as what they have.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable and competitive game and would be happy to see more games that the QUITE AS GOOD
U21 play in

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 16 Aug 2014 13:32

I don't think I was being harsh, the team do need to work on shooting, they did manage to get in behind Griffin, and Lincoln's handling was fairly poor. I'm not saying there aren't reasons for it, just saying what I saw.

If anybody cares I took some photos

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 16 Aug 2014 13:50

I care

*rests hand gently yet reassuringly on shoulder*

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 16 Aug 2014 14:09

It will take them time to adapt to not having Kuhl, Tanner, Stacey, Tshibola available. they had a tough start last year because three of these started the season injured.

They'll adapt and do well this year but to pretend the promotion of these players hasn't weakened the team is silly. They will adapt, but only as they mature.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 16 Aug 2014 14:27

kwik-silva I don't think I was being harsh, the team do need to work on shooting, they did manage to get in behind Griffin, and Lincoln's handling was fairly poor. I'm not saying there aren't reasons for it, just saying what I saw.

If anybody cares I took some photos

Once again that was a very good Arsenal side on paper. Griffin has played for winning U21 Team last season and been on the bench for Reading, Samuel has scored 6goals from 8 games in preseason. He apparently played with a broken wrist and one bit of magic when he dribbled passed 2 players gives us hope. Goalkeeper usually good handling.

The Arsenal striker was worse, how many one on ones did he have?

A bad game doesn't make them poor especially against that team

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 16 Aug 2014 23:22

I never said the team were poor? I've read on here before that Dan's handling isn't always the best. And I understand Samuel had a good pre-season but that doesn't mean that he played well last night :| edit - and even the coach was getting at Griffin for allowing the no. 2 in behind too much.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Aug 2014 11:42

U18's drew first game of season with Aston Villa 1-1

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 18 Aug 2014 12:04

I think the U16s won against Villa as well, from what I can work out, not sure the score though

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Aug 2014 13:05

winchester_royal U18's drew first game of season with Aston Villa 1-1

Match report in case anyone cares: http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 38837.aspx

Ward; Akinwunmi, Sheppard, Osho, Jules; Collins (Waritay 67), Husin, Smith, Lawal (Urbancic 80); Cardwell (Williams 60), Barrett
Subs not used: Ethelston, Southwood

I've not seen Smith play, but I hope he's the left winger we've been crying out for.

Osho scored, which is nice, but I'd rather have Jules and Ethelston form a stronger understanding. I'd also like Urbancic and Waritay to play regularly, and I'm guessing Watson is injured.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 20 Aug 2014 13:07

Nameless
If you still hate Futcher I'm expecting a whoosh here but do they really restrict the numbers for certain positions on the bench? Sounds a bit draconian and how would they police it if you've got an Adie Williams who could conceivably play every position

I suspect he meant that with 5 subs you need a sensible mix (keeper, couple of defenders, couple of midfielders of different types and a striker).
Any official restriction would be pointless and unenforceable given different formations , players playing multiple positions, availability etc. it would be bizarre if a team had a midfield injury crisis and were unable to have 2 midfielders on the bench but were prevented from adding extra defenders to make up the full compliment.

Yep, if your best 6 players are all goalkeepers you wouldn't put all 5 who are not paying on the bench.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 20 Aug 2014 14:56

u21s beating Oxford 5-2. Think it's close to finished now.

Goals from: Kelly, Griffin, Tshibola, Samuel [x2]

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 Aug 2014 15:05

ZacNaloen I think the U16s won against Villa as well, from what I can work out, not sure the score though

We won 3-1.

Don't think Smith is a left winger, from what I'd understood he's pretty much out and out as a striker.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 Aug 2014 15:11

u16's got Man U today by looks of things.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Aug 2014 10:05

U21s lost 5-2 against Newcastle yesterday.

8018 posts