Who Goes? McCarthy. Confimred.

299 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Who Goes Federici or McCarthy??

by Hoop Blah » 27 Aug 2014 08:45

I'm not sure of Forsters contract situation but he's more proven and was a more important part of a more financially secure club playing (briefly) in the Champions League.

McCarthy has, so far, only really show promise and glimpses of good form. If we get more than £2m for him in the current circumstances then we've done a decent job.

As for keeping both him and Federici, well for a club of our size, position and standing that's pretty unrealistic and I guess McCarthy had made noises about wanting away to further his career. That coupled with the apparent lack of interest in Federici means we have to cash in now on the better keeper or risk losing him for nothing in the summer whilst pissing off Federici as well.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Aug 2014 08:48

percy_freeman Fraser Foster £10M, Craig Gordon £9M. Are these two 5 times better than McCarthy???? I don't think so......
Young, English makes it start at £5M...

So why did the younger and more highly regarded Jack Butland go for £3.5m then?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Aug 2014 10:17

mikey0406
percy_freeman Fraser Foster £10M, Craig Gordon £9M. Are these two 5 times better than McCarthy???? I don't think so......

having 10 months left on his contract makes him 2 million

We don't need to sell though....QPR need him this season, not next, so we can hold out for more hence why the £6m rumours could well be true

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 Aug 2014 10:48

QPR don't really need him this season though, they've still got Rob Green who's very experienced at Premier League level and has just had a decent season.

They want McCarthy as a long-term successor so if we play hard ball they might just say sod it we'll wait until next year when he's on a free.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Aug 2014 11:13

Wimb QPR don't really need him this season though, they've still got Rob Green who's very experienced at Premier League level and has just had a decent season.

They want McCarthy as a long-term successor so if we play hard ball they might just say sod it we'll wait until next year when he's on a free.

Have you seen Rob Green play recently?!.........

Either way, if they think he will still be available at the end of the season, more fool them - someone will come in for him before next week

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 27 Aug 2014 11:52

QPR local rag think it's around £6m, others say £2m. Jonny Fordham says he's been told it's a done deal but wont be completed until the close of the window, meaning we're unlikely to spend any of the money... lol

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Aug 2014 12:19

Work colleague who is season ticket holder at QPR very excited about McCarthy - messaged me this morning with the following...

"He will push Rob Green all the way - fans are getting infuriated with Green's kicking and distribution and its always going into touch!"

When i explained the one poor point of McCarthy's game he just said i was showing "sour grapes as going to better club".

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 27 Aug 2014 12:33

SPARTA QPR local rag think it's around £6m, others say £2m. Jonny Fordham says he's been told it's a done deal but wont be completed until the close of the window, meaning we're unlikely to spend any of the money... lol

This could have legs. 'If' there is cash to spend on players anyway we would only be encouraging the selling clubs to up their price if they knew we had 2/3/6 Million of your queens in our back pocket. I suspect if this is the strategy by Nick 'The Hat' Hammond we are getting a fee nearer the higher figure.

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 27 Aug 2014 13:46

We'll probably never know how much the fee was because it will be undisclosed ,as with most things connected to RFC.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 27 Aug 2014 18:34

mikey0406

Agreed, even with over inflated prices these days that's still a good deal. He had a couple of great games in the PL, was very mixed last season, so you can't really say he's had the same exposure as Forster, Gordon etc, and he's free in 10 months. £2m plus add-ons is decent enough considering.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 27 Aug 2014 19:04

where have you all got £2m from!? Papers etc have been quoting as much as £6m. If it was £2m the deal would have been done a long time ago.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Aug 2014 19:30

SPARTA
mikey0406

Agreed, even with over inflated prices these days that's still a good deal. He had a couple of great games in the PL, was very mixed last season, so you can't really say he's had the same exposure as Forster, Gordon etc, and he's free in 10 months. £2m plus add-ons is decent enough considering.

£2 million would be crazy. The contract situation is a bit of a red herring. It's irrelevant for a team if they want a keeper today.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 27 Aug 2014 20:03

What does to matter what we get for him, precisely fook all will be reinvested in players.

Have we not learned anything yet from supporting Reading :roll:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Aug 2014 02:00

Ian Royal
NewCorkSeth I'm just disappointed by the clubs lack of ability to retain players. Morro and McCarthy certainly improve our squad and it seems like little will be done to replace these two (as with ALF) I'm not a radical who wants to see the club burn for letting players go that is the nature of the game but I would certainly prefer us to put up more of a fight to hold on to a squad through an Oxf*rd window.

TBF people have been saying we couldn't sustain keeping both McCarthy and Federici and in fact didn't need both of them, from the second we got relegated. Andersen is perfectly adequate back up unless he's seriously failed to live up to expectations.

Morrison we got top dollar for and he was never an integral part of the side before anyway. I'm disappointed we lost ALF, but the circumstances were somewhat different at the time.

True we cant afford two keepers of the quality that they are and (while both similalar in, and great quality at this level) id prefer us to hold on to McCarthy. Theres a reason hes being sold and not federici... I rate both but one of them has spent the last two seasons being linked with premier league clubs and the other has been sat on the bench. Yes the morro fee was a good bit of buisiness but with him gone we still have our defensive frailties from last season and one less CB. Which I find a tad worrying! Not doom mongering or anything though!

(Agree on alf just expected some form of signing as way of a replacement/improvement)

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Aug 2014 08:27

Wimb £2m for a player who's openly been relegated to second choice and has less than a year left on his contract isn't the worst bit of business tbh.

Er, I think he was relegated to second choice because he was leaving

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Aug 2014 08:45

Extended-Phenotype
Wimb £2m for a player who's openly been relegated to second choice and has less than a year left on his contract isn't the worst bit of business tbh.

Thinking and knowing are very different things. McCarthy second choice right from the start of the season and, if you wanted to spark competition for a player and increase the selling price you would surely want to put him in the shop window as much as possible, particularly if he is so much better than the other option.

I think the choice was far more to do with current form and Feds' superior ability on/distributing the ball.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Aug 2014 09:06

All summer we've had speculation about him leaving, I'm sure Adkins was pretty confident he'd be gone by the end of the window and accommodated for that. And why wouldn't he? Fed's is a perfectly adequate replacement.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 Aug 2014 09:33

mikey0406

£3m and a sell on clause will do. When QPR get relegated again hopefully he would have played some games and put himself in the shop window

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 28 Aug 2014 10:08

RoyalBlue
Extended-Phenotype

Thinking and knowing are very different things. McCarthy second choice right from the start of the season and, if you wanted to spark competition for a player and increase the selling price you would surely want to put him in the shop window as much as possible, particularly if he is so much better than the other option.

I think the choice was far more to do with current form and Feds' superior ability on/distributing the ball.

Nope. I reckon E-P has it right. It seems very similar to the Mariappa situation last season - clearly our best defender, not playing at the start of the season and gone by the end of August.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Aug 2014 11:40

I can't think too much has changed in their respective ability or performances for Adkins to switch keepers so I'd say it's pretty reasonable to suspect he knew McCarthy was off sometime ago and so gave Federici the nod from the off.

299 posts