by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Sep 2014 21:30

cannot see him being one of our core players etc etc :arrow:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: The truth about Royston...

by RoyalBlue » 03 Sep 2014 08:38

Berry Thing is, it will take him a couple of months to get fit - if he's on fire come January and we're in a good position (financially and league position wise) then its a bonus for us and could end up being important for the final few months.

Basically we're just letting Sheff Wed get him fit, pay his wages and give him game time before we get the best out of him

Exactly the same scenario as is with Murray which Steve Parish spelled out last night on the BBC...they want Murray to come to us to get fit, they have no intention of selling but getting a player back from a potential career ending injury in the Prem is not an option for them....The Drenthe deal is get rid....with no love involved[/quote]

That's strange, because Charles Watts reckoned that he had been told by RFC that Murray's loan agreement contained a provision for us to buy at a specified fee. So who is bullsh*tting?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Sep 2014 08:47

Maguire
Extended-Phenotype Ultimately rather unsatisfying.

Only in the sense we haven't got shot of him for good.

With a depleted squad, we could do with all the players we can get.

Not useless shit ones

Dissapointing as he was, he was no worse than some of our other wingers.

Yeah he was, he was utter rubbish.

The fact Wednesday have signed him on a short loan suggests he isn't that unfit or disruptive.

Disagree. How on earth would they know? One might even argue that it's only a short term loan because there are question marks over his pedigree.

Fair enough, difference of opinion on his ability. But on the last point, you don't think Wednesday could know as much or as little as we know? My guess is if they knew only what we know, no deal would have been made. As they are willing to take a punt, I think they know more about the situation than we do which in light of our injury crisis makes me wonder why we didn't take a punt ourselves. Which brings me back to performance bonuses, wages or fallout with manager. The other reasons would have stopped Wednesday wanting him too, and they are just as privvy to the rumours as we are.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 03 Sep 2014 09:04

Have Wednesday now money to burn?

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 03 Sep 2014 09:17

RoyalBlue
Berry Thing is, it will take him a couple of months to get fit - if he's on fire come January and we're in a good position (financially and league position wise) then its a bonus for us and could end up being important for the final few months.

Basically we're just letting Sheff Wed get him fit, pay his wages and give him game time before we get the best out of him

Exactly the same scenario as is with Murray which Steve Parish spelled out last night on the BBC...they want Murray to come to us to get fit, they have no intention of selling but getting a player back from a potential career ending injury in the Prem is not an option for them....The Drenthe deal is get rid....with no love involved

That's strange, because Charles Watts reckoned that he had been told by RFC that Murray's loan agreement contained a provision for us to buy at a specified fee. So who is bullsh*tting?

As Glenn Murray's tweet said it was with a view to permanent I would say it is Parrish

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Sep 2014 09:20

I suspect we only went with loan because we're hoping come January, the consortium will be in a position to allow us to buy him if we want him?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Sep 2014 09:34

RoyalBlue
Berry Exactly the same scenario as is with Murray which Steve Parish spelled out last night on the BBC...they want Murray to come to us to get fit, they have no intention of selling but getting a player back from a potential career ending injury in the Prem is not an option for them....The Drenthe deal is get rid....with no love involved

According to Palace fans it will be Parrish being economical with the truth. If the player himself has said it is with a view to a permanent move and Watts has a source within the club saying the same thing then I think they might be right in their opinion.
Last edited by Wycombe Royal on 03 Sep 2014 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Sep 2014 09:46

glass half full Have Wednesday now money to burn?

Don't think their takeover has gone through either.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Sep 2014 09:53

Extended-Phenotype Fair enough, difference of opinion on his ability. But on the last point, you don't think Wednesday could know as much or as little as we know? My guess is if they knew only what we know, no deal would have been made. As they are willing to take a punt, I think they know more about the situation than we do which in light of our injury crisis makes me wonder why we didn't take a punt ourselves. Which brings me back to performance bonuses, wages or fallout with manager. The other reasons would have stopped Wednesday wanting him too, and they are just as privvy to the rumours as we are.

I just don't think you can use the fact they signed him on a short-term loan as evidence that he isn't unfit. As we're seeing with the Glen Murray loan, quite the opposite is true in that situation with RFC holding out on a permanent deal until he proves his fitness.

I don't have any clue about Royston's pay scale or alleged misbehaviour, I just think he lacks the basic application needed to be a professional athlete.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Sep 2014 12:13

I’m not mate, I’m suggesting that he can’t be that unfit i.e. unable to regain fitness within a short window, which therefore renders fitness rather unsatisfying as a reason for his exclusion here.

As for his basic application, I can’t confidently agree that a lack of effort is present (I don’t go to training and haven’t heard anyone clarify this), let alone what came first in the lacking effort / exclusion chronology.

Seems to be a lot of hate for a guy who’s situation we know naff all about and whose performances were no worse than half the squad (and could reasonably be argued to have seen improvement had he played more).

Just think it’s a shame for any signing to end up like this, let alone one who had such promise and undeniable skill.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Sep 2014 13:25

All depends on why Wednesday want him doesn't it?

Perhaps they want to use him as some kind of impact player and build a team around him where he doesn't need to work so hard or do some of the things we were asking him to do. Perhaps they just think he solves a specific problem in their squad which isn't the same as how we want to use him.

As with a lot of signings that are seen as more of a gamble for clubs, perhaps they just think they can get more from him than we can.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Sep 2014 13:35

That will be about what, 3 games then.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Sep 2014 13:45

I don't see how anyone who saw Drenthe play last season can not recognise he had a problem getting match fit. It was also obvious from his history and performances that he's one of the most gifted players we've ever had. But despite flattering his delivery was poor. His set pieces being a strong indication of his application in training and mentality. He could hit a very good set play, but all too oten they were woeful. And that's a very strong indication to me of someone who simply isn't putting the work in off the pitch to get consistency and is instead coasting on arrogance and talent.

I'm not sure how you can excuse a player of such immense talent being as poor as a load of far less talented players.

I'll admit I was taken in. He was an exciting talent and got the crowd going. But he just never delivered on it. It's like he expected to turn up and win games and didn't know what to do whe n the opposition didn't roll over and let him.

whilst I'm also normally sceptical about rumours of behind the scenes problems, in Drenthe's case, given his history it's entirely consistent with his previous behaviour.

as for Weds gambling oj him, you'll always get managers willing to risk a move for big talent and hoping that theyll be the ones to save their career and find they key to unlocking their skill. Its a low risk gamble for weds.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 03 Sep 2014 13:46

Extended-Phenotype I can’t confidently agree that a lack of effort is present

L8 to this party, but on this one, are suggesting he's just big boned?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Sep 2014 13:51

mr_number

That's a bit of a racist stereotype, mate. Dunno what it has to do with his football either.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2014 13:54

Extended-Phenotype I’m not mate, I’m suggesting that he can’t be that unfit i.e. unable to regain fitness within a short window, which therefore renders fitness rather unsatisfying as a reason for his exclusion here.

As for his basic application, I can’t confidently agree that a lack of effort is present (I don’t go to training and haven’t heard anyone clarify this), let alone what came first in the lacking effort / exclusion chronology.

Seems to be a lot of hate for a guy who’s situation we know naff all about and whose performances were no worse than half the squad (and could reasonably be argued to have seen improvement had he played more).

Just think it’s a shame for any signing to end up like this, let alone one who had such promise and undeniable skill.

He was entertaining, and his effort on the pitch was fine
Seemed unable to.maintain it for 90 mins though
Never really delivered though.
Was a risk, but the 'big' name, and potential and skill made it a worth the risk to anton.
I'm happy he's gone, purely on wages
Can't comment on attitude/relationship with adkins,
Only thing I heard from nige was that he was earning way more than we could afford

And he Was oxf*rd ripped, not fat
Maybe too much on the weights

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 03 Sep 2014 13:56

Extended-Phenotype
mr_number

That's a bit of a racist stereotype, mate. Dunno what it has to do with his football either.

My point was that he always looked at least a bit overweight, which would seem to me to imply a lack of application to fitness, or that he was big boned and naturally a bit of a fatty

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Sep 2014 13:59

mr_number
Extended-Phenotype
mr_number

My point was that he always looked at least a bit overweight, which would seem to me to imply a lack of application to fitness, or that he was big boned and naturally a bit of a fatty

:roll:

Yeah, I do know.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Sep 2014 14:02

melonhead
Extended-Phenotype I’m not mate, I’m suggesting that he can’t be that unfit i.e. unable to regain fitness within a short window, which therefore renders fitness rather unsatisfying as a reason for his exclusion here.

He was entertaining, and his effort on the pitch was fine
Seemed unable to.maintain it for 90 mins though
Never really delivered though.
Was a risk, but the 'big' name, and potential and skill made it a worth the risk to anton.
I'm happy he's gone, purely on wages
Can't comment on attitude/relationship with adkins,
Only thing I heard from nige was that he was earning way more than we could afford

And he Was oxf*rd ripped, not fat
Maybe too much on the weights

Who is paying his wages? Some or all?

If it's most, then the deal may be worth it. If we are paying the majority I can't help but feel a skilled player with 30-60 minutes pitch time as a sub or starter, during an injury crisis, would be worth more than a few quid being saved to be spent on nobody.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Sep 2014 14:45

mr_number
Extended-Phenotype
mr_number

This is just bollox. He never looked over weight. As Brendy said he was ripped. The problems seems to be that he focused on muscle mass to look good over actual aerobic (hopefully I got the right one there) fitness, which is more necessary for a footballer.

760 posts