Adkins Sacked - Not a Wind Up

228 posts
Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Adkins Sacked - Not a Wind Up

by Man Friday » 16 Dec 2014 18:52

sandman Think I'll let you continue to hang yourself RF.

He did that alright...

"we were still just as clueless as what to do with it (the ball) as we were under McDermott in the Premier League." Nope, Brian knew that it wasn't about possession, it was about scoring more goals than the opposition i.e. it's about winning - not possession stats.

"IMO it's hard to say how much is down to the manager...Adkins just didnt see to be able to train them out of their bad habits and improve them." errr, think that's prerequisite of a (good) manager.

"McDermott...lost his way in the PL, ran out of ideas and made some poor decisions." He was given hardly any feckin' money. Sir Alex couldn't have got more points with the Championship standard players at Brian's disposal

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 16 Dec 2014 19:01

RoyallyFcuked
brighton_royal Can we all just take the positives and move on?

Think you're getting mixed up.

McDermott's catchphrase in the PL season was infact "we move on" if I remember rightly.

It's everyone's if you follow football. It means to look forward rather than backwards.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 16 Dec 2014 19:08

Man Friday
sandman Think I'll let you continue to hang yourself RF.

He did that alright...

"we were still just as clueless as what to do with it (the ball) as we were under McDermott in the Premier League." Nope, Brian knew that it wasn't about possession, it was about scoring more goals than the opposition i.e. it's about winning - not possession stats.

"IMO it's hard to say how much is down to the manager...Adkins just didnt see to be able to train them out of their bad habits and improve them." errr, think that's prerequisite of a (good) manager.

"McDermott...lost his way in the PL, ran out of ideas and made some poor decisions." He was given hardly any feckin' money. Sir Alex couldn't have got more points with the Championship standard players at Brian's disposal

:roll:

- Yeah I know, I never said it was all about possession. But sorry, how many games did we win the PL again? Oh wait, we got relegated. So that "all about winning" went well didnt it?

- You've made a pointless point there, if there is such a thing. I wasn't sat here saying Adkins did a good job was I? Maybe Southampton made him look better than he is, or maybe he could go to next club and do really well, we just don't know.

- Brian did well with hardly any money the year he took us up, but in the PL we spent a fairly ambitious amount (by our standards) of at least £10m. The problem was McDermott's one dimensional style and failure to adapt to circumstances which showed he was tactically inept at that level. Adkins tried and ultimately failed to fix the mess we were in, I wasn't disputing that.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 16 Dec 2014 19:10

...and still he continues to hang himself............. :lol:

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 16 Dec 2014 19:14

RoyallyFcuked
sandman
RoyallyFcuked

Interesting comment, seeing as you were one of the ones crying at McDermott's IMO deserved sacking.

His sacking was undeserved and today's news actually reinforces that.

It really does amaze me how people like yourself were so quick to defend Adkins citing ownership issues and the like yet McDermott is accused of lying about transfer budgets and interference from above. Admit it, you and your ilk chased after the oft quoted myth of "more attractive football" and it was just a pipedream dreamt up by a young owner whose real reason was he got desperate and panicked in the hope of keeping the glitz, glamour, prestige, spotlight and most of all money of the PL.

McDermott's sacking WAS justified though. He lost his way in the PL, ran out of ideas and made some poor decisions. Kept playing the same out of form players week in week out and spent his post match interviews moaning about 50/50 decisions rather than addressing the fact we'd underperformed and been outplayed in nearly every game. We wernt seeing any improvement, in fact we were getting worse. If you think Adkins sacking was deserved for those two reasons at least, then so was McDermott's.[/quote]

If the demand for a Reading manager is they get us promoted and then never make poor decisions I think we'll be sacking a lot of managers!. I don't know that he ran out of ideas; he ended up going to 4-5-1 which produced a great run of results just after Christmas and then the Pogrebynak red card slightly killed that formation. Obviously it's a bit more complex than that and it was clearly his worse season but I think the Premier League can be viewed as a mitigating factor coupled with the lack of much of a budget seemingly.

Personally I think that a 45% win percentage overall along with 2 FA Cup quarter-finals, a comfortable avoidance of relegation in his first year, a play-off final and a Championship is sufficient return from the first 2 and a half years to permit a poor season and the chance to atone.

The thing is if we'd stayed with McDermott would we be any worse now? It's difficult to see how, we'd quite possibly be better and it would at least have felt like we'd stayed very loyal to someone who had been very successful for us. I'm not really sure the Nigel Adkins reign has given us anything to build on particularly?

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 16 Dec 2014 19:15

Man Friday ...and still he continues to hang himself............. :lol:

But of course, for no reason other than the fact I disagree with you.

We've got another SADman over here.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 16 Dec 2014 19:26

RoyalinBracknell
If the demand for a Reading manager is they get us promoted and then never make poor decisions I think we'll be sacking a lot of managers!. I don't know that he ran out of ideas; he ended up going to 4-5-1 which produced a great run of results just after Christmas and then the Pogrebynak red card slightly killed that formation. Obviously it's a bit more complex than that and it was clearly his worse season but I think the Premier League can be viewed as a mitigating factor coupled with the lack of much of a budget seemingly.

Personally I think that a 45% win percentage overall along with 2 FA Cup quarter-finals, a comfortable avoidance of relegation in his first year, a play-off final and a Championship is sufficient return from the first 2 and a half years to permit a poor season and the chance to atone.

The thing is if we'd stayed with McDermott would we be any worse now? It's difficult to see how, we'd quite possibly be better and it would at least have felt like we'd stayed very loyal to someone who had been very successful for us. I'm not really sure the Nigel Adkins reign has given us anything to build on particularly?

I'm not saying he didnt do a great job in his first 3 seasons, but I think that is what is blinding some people.

I'm not convinced that we would have stayed up that season under McD even if we had spent double what we did. The tactics were the biggest problem, although many of the players were not up to the job.

I'm not sure if we would have been any worse if we had stayed with McDermott, but I can't see that we would have been much better. It was always going to be a tough job for whoever came in off the back of that season, and the same is true if McDermott had stayed.

I can understand the loyalty to Brian, he was at the club for years and did far more than was expected of him. I have nothing against him, I'm just not being biased. Ultimately, he was sacked for the same reason as Adkins, we wern't good enough.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 16 Dec 2014 19:47

RoyallyFcuked
RoyalinBracknell

I'm not saying he didnt do a great job in his first 3 seasons, but I think that is what is blinding some people.

I'm not convinced that we would have stayed up that season under McD even if we had spent double what we did. The tactics were the biggest problem, although many of the players were not up to the job.

I'm not sure if we would have been any worse if we had stayed with McDermott, but I can't see that we would have been much better. It was always going to be a tough job for whoever came in off the back of that season, and the same is true if McDermott had stayed.

I can understand the loyalty to Brian, he was at the club for years and did far more than was expected of him. I have nothing against him, I'm just not being biased. Ultimately, he was sacked for the same reason as Adkins, we wern't good enough.

Obviously we'll never know - but I do think McDermott is a more pragmatic manager than Adkins which would have better suited our situation. Equally I think some things (such as the ill-fated attempt to change style and the apathy amongst fans) would have been lessened if McDermott had stayed. And given how well McDermott did at managing the club in a range of different situations in the Championship I do think he would have done a better job though I accept that is personal opinion!

Some people might say fans are blinded by McDermott's success in his first 3 years, others might say some fans are blinded by his difficulties in the Premier League season. I just think the main concern for a club of Reading's current size is to have a manager capable of getting us promoted, rather than a manager capable of keeping us there if we do go up.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 16 Dec 2014 20:14

I enjoyed the Coppell era
I hated the Rodgers era
I enjoyed the McDermott era
I hated the Adkins era
I'm looking forward to enjoying the Clarke era. Long may he reign.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 16 Dec 2014 22:47

Absolute mare from RF. Embarrassing :lol:

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 17 Dec 2014 09:38

Upper West Ginger I enjoyed the Coppell era
I hated the Rodgers era
I hated the Adkins era

'Enjoyed' might be a little too tame, I'd elevate that to 'loved', but otherwise agreed.

Open-minded about Clarke, have to say despite his dourness in TV interviews whilst at West Brom, he came across quite well in yesterday's press conference. Refreshing to hear an honest assessment of the current situation compared to the wordy nothingness Adkins continually spouted.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Dec 2014 10:04

Upper West Ginger I enjoyed the Coppell era
I hated the Rodgers era
I hated the Adkins era

I enjoyed the McGhee era
I enjoyed the Quin/Gooding era..... short lived and effectively an extension of the McGhee era
I hated the Bullivant era
I hated the Burns era
I enjoyed the Pardew era
I enjoyed the Coppell era.... maybe not so much that last season, but all is forgiven.
I hated the Rogers era
I hated the Adkins era... but appreciate it was partly due to the Russian.

I'm really excited for Saturday's game, players usually respond positively on the pitch to a change of management.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 17 Dec 2014 13:16

The turning point for me was the Wolves game. In control at HT 1-0 up, Akpan doing a reasonable job protecting the back 4, but he decided to replace him with Guthrie who was well short of match practice and it meant we had 2 creative players in the centre of midfield. Getting a late equaliser meant I was fairly pleased with the result (though there was personal sadness too), but I believe Adkins poor decision cost us 2 points that day.

Up until then I'd been really positive about the season but after that he barely won a game.

Still believe he was a better appointment than Poyet would have been at the time though. From what I've been told about him he would have walked away in the summer and actually not sure he'd have lasted a year here.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 17 Dec 2014 15:50

Have you noticed that none of the management have had a good thing to say about Adkins, since he departed and from
the first Team it is only players just coming back from injury.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Dec 2014 16:39

Warning to future managers. Rodgers sacked on Dec 16, Adkins on Dec 15. Beware the Ides of December

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Dec 2014 17:21

West Stand Man Warning to future managers. Rodgers sacked on Dec 16, Adkins on Dec 15. Beware the Ides of December

It's a savage time of the month

#ORhumour
#Bilge
#beginatcalais

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 17 Dec 2014 17:35

West Stand Man Warning to future managers. Rodgers sacked on Dec 16, Adkins on Dec 15. Beware the Ides of December

Was it really the "Ides of December", or was it actually because they were both complete helmets?

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 17 Dec 2014 18:07

RoyallyFcuked Ultimately, he was sacked for the same reason as Adkins, we wern't good enough.

"Weren't good enough in PL" Versus "Weren't good enough in Championship".

No contest.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Dec 2014 18:18

Cureton's Volley

Was it really the "Ides of December", or was it actually because they were both complete helmets?

The Ides refers to the date, not an event!

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 17 Dec 2014 18:54

West Stand Man
Cureton's Volley

The Ides refers to the date, not an event!

Refers to the full moon doesn't it? So both really.

228 posts