The Yak

382 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Yak

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Feb 2015 20:26

mumbo-jumbo Who gives a stuff how old he is?

This is a family forum, there's no place for language like that.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Feb 2015 20:26

AthleticoSpizz Does he do penalties?

Very well, by all accounts.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 02 Feb 2015 20:29

Nameless
RoyallyFcuked The guy only needs a handful of goals to have 100 in the Premier League. We have certainly never had a player who has scored this many top flight goals before.

We've had a player who has scored considerably more top flight goals than Yak....

I agree with those who see this as a decent gamble. There isn't much of a risk and he could easily knock in 10 goals this season.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, Les Ferdinand! Forgive me for forgetting that one, his time here wasn't particularly memorable. I've got a much better feeling about this signing anyway, mainly seeing as Yakubu is 32 and Les was about 37-38 when he played for us.
Last edited by RoyallyFcuked on 02 Feb 2015 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2015 20:29

Nameless
RoyallyFcuked The guy only needs a handful of goals to have 100 in the Premier League. We have certainly never had a player who has scored this many top flight goals before.

We've had a player who has scored considerably more top flight goals than Yak....

I agree with those who see this as a decent gamble. There isn't much of a risk and he could easily knock in 10 goals this season.

There's only about three people still playing that could better Ferdinand's PL record too. Somehow I think Rooney or Lampard might be a bit beyond us.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 02 Feb 2015 20:31

Not reading all 10 pages of Nobber pontification on this. Big "Yes" from me. A big, strong sniffer in the box (ooo-errrrr) as opposed to ALF fox in the beaver, or your Pog "work your arse off, first touch rubbish and fall over when you feel someone's leaning on you".

Free transfer, proven goalscorer, short term contract. Our problem has been turning opportunities in to goals..... so can't be any worse and relatively low cost. What's not to love - unless he has become a complete lard arse.....

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

Re: Yakubu - SSN

by sputnik » 02 Feb 2015 20:37

savage 4 england oxf*rd off Yakubu you fat oxf*rd.

You seem friendly.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Feb 2015 20:45

His record since 2012 disturbs me. Never heard of those teams, we sound a big step back up. But then again if he has the impact of a Jason Roberts who's gonna complain.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 02 Feb 2015 20:54

Definitely agree its a decent gamble. It's only a short term deal until the end of the season which probably means we could offer him another year or two depending on how well he does. He's probably on decent money by RFC standards but it certainly wont be bank breaking otherwise we wouldnt have done it.

We should have known this is what the club would do. I thought we would maybe get a player of his kind on loan, didnt really think of the short term permanent deal option even though its pretty similar. We obviously are not in the position to spend even £1-2m on a player at least until the summer. We probably couldnt have got much better that than this given our circumstances.

On paper he's a much better player than Jason Roberts was, so lets hope the Yak is as much of a boost of a signing as he was.
Last edited by RoyallyFcuked on 02 Feb 2015 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Pearcehegone

by Pearcehegone » 02 Feb 2015 21:36

Agree with most. Very decent player at this level, regardless of age. Although he has being playing at a "lower" level recently, he still put up good stats & by all accounts should be match fit.

One major disagreement was after reading a Tilehurst article today that Yak and Pog could not play together. This just baffled me. Amazingly poor piece of reporting which basically concluded that two players like this, with no real "pace", could not be effective together. What they failed to consider or review was what type of player is Yakubu? We just need to look back to his days with Mark Viduka to see he can play with a "unit" and successfully produce the goods (albeit he was a slightly younger fella at that point!) The obsession with needing pace is beyond me, this is not Fifa 15! Look at the top 5-10 strikers in the Championship and I don't think you can say any of them are lightning quick. If someone could explain why we need a pacey forward so badly in the Championship, please enlighten me.

We needed a player that can finish (apart from maybe the Millwall game, we are creating tons of chances right now) & someone to take the burden off Pog a little bit, and you know what, I think we just got one!

Yakubu has the record and experience to make a big impact. I would put my house on him finding the back of the net with the chance Cox had vs Wednesday on Saturday.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Feb 2015 21:46

January transfer window. Strikers are hardly plentiful. Short term contract. Could easily play another 2 years if works out. SC appears to like his personality and attitude. That's enough for me.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 02 Feb 2015 21:48

Anyone who has played football for the best part of 50 years is probably really good it at by now.

IN.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 02 Feb 2015 22:07

Pearcehegone Agree with most. Very decent player at this level, regardless of age. Although he has being playing at a "lower" level recently, he still put up good stats & by all accounts should be match fit.

One major disagreement was after reading a Tilehurst article today that Yak and Pog could not play together. This just baffled me. Amazingly poor piece of reporting which basically concluded that two players like this, with no real "pace", could not be effective together. What they failed to consider or review was what type of player is Yakubu? We just need to look back to his days with Mark Viduka to see he can play with a "unit" and successfully produce the goods (albeit he was a slightly younger fella at that point!) The obsession with needing pace is beyond me, this is not Fifa 15! Look at the top 5-10 strikers in the Championship and I don't think you can say any of them are lightning quick. If someone could explain why we need a pacey forward so badly in the Championship, please enlighten me.

We needed a player that can finish (apart from maybe the Millwall game, we are creating tons of chances right now) & someone to take the burden off Pog a little bit, and you know what, I think we just got one!

Yakubu has the record and experience to make a big impact. I would put my house on him finding the back of the net with the chance Cox had vs Wednesday on Saturday.

Agree with you. The more I think about it the more excited I'm getting. Pace is probably overated especially at this level. The Yak could bag at least 10 before the end of the season. The only problem is our creativity, I havent seen us as much recently so cant say whether we have improved and are creating enough, but if as you say, we are then I'm confident given the chances he will put many of them away.

I think he would work better with Cox than Pogrebnyak but who knows, we will have to wait and see.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 02 Feb 2015 22:15

Interesting to note that we were credited with interest with the Yak when he left Blackburn and we were promoted last time around.

SmellyAli

by SmellyAli » 02 Feb 2015 22:50

He is 43. FACT! He was in my class at school in Benin City, Nigeria, and I had the occasional kick about with him and his brother. Good player. Well hung too.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Feb 2015 22:53

Lower West Could easily play another 2 years if works out.

I'm not sure he'll play until he's 48.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Feb 2015 23:02

genome
Lower West Could easily play another 2 years if works out.

I'm not sure he'll play until he's 48.

Sir Stanley did. :roll:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2015 23:32

Statistically, Yakubu looks a better signing than Roberts was and a far smaller risk

Yakubu's minutes per Premiership goal is more than twice as good as Roberts

Here is the comparison at the point of signing

Age 34 484 Appearances Overall 148 Goals (35 Premiership Goals) 6 Apps for Grenada (3 Goals) ROBERTS
Age 32 468 Appearances Overall 198 Goals (95 Premiership Goals) 57 Apps for Nigeria (21 Goals) YAKUBU

Premiership Details (Includes Reading)

221 Appearances 36 Goals at 403 Minutes per Goal ROBERTS
252 Appearances 95 Goals at 199 Minutes per Goal YAKUBU

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Feb 2015 00:04

Some gr8 stats there Snowy

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 03 Feb 2015 01:31

Especially the bit about him being 32.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Feb 2015 07:52