The Yak

382 posts
Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Yak

by Mr Optimist » 03 Feb 2015 13:15

Extended-Phenotype Yak's age stats look pretty impressive. He has aged 1 year every year on average.

Spot on, not everyone can say that can they.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Feb 2015 13:37

Nameless His true age is pretty irrelevant. Players can be burnt out in their late twenties or still going strong at 40. If he's fit and keen then 32 or 35 makes very little difference.
We're not looking for him to play 50 games, he will probably start 10 games.
The key thing is whether he is match fit now, if it takes him a month to get up to speed then that is a big chunk of his contract used up.
If he just plays as an impact sub he could be a huge signing, we shall see how Clark uses him.
i don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment. But please name 5 outfield players from the last 15 years that were still playing at Championship level or better at the age of 40. Or i call bullcrap.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Feb 2015 13:41

floyd__streete
extended phenotype Yak's age stats look pretty impressive. He has aged 1 year every year on average.

Pog > 37 year old Yak > Cox > Blackman <> HRK.

We needed a striker, we got a striker.

I honestly think some of you lot actually enjoy moaning :!:

Coming from floyd :shock:

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 03 Feb 2015 13:44

genome
floyd__streete
extended phenotype Yak's age stats look pretty impressive. He has aged 1 year every year on average.

Coming from floyd :shock:

Its called irony.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Feb 2015 13:51

...thanks?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Feb 2015 14:11

Snowball NOTED

Please.

I desperately want to be proved wrong.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 03 Feb 2015 14:33

Contract to the end of the season - sure we have looked at him prior to taking him on short loan. Proven - will see!

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 03 Feb 2015 15:10

According to this report on transfermarkt.com, he was released by the Qatari club last May. Anyone know where he's been since then?

'Championship
Yakubu signs for Reading

Reading have confirmed the signing of Yakubu Aiyegbeni, 32. The former Premier League striker (95 goals in 252 league matches) joins the Royals for the rest of the season. Yakubu has been a free agent since his release from Qatar side Al-Rayyan in May 2014.'

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Feb 2015 15:29

M Brook According to this report on transfermarkt.com, he was released by the Qatari club last May. Anyone know where he's been since then?

'Championship
Yakubu signs for Reading

Reading have confirmed the signing of Yakubu Aiyegbeni, 32. The former Premier League striker (95 goals in 252 league matches) joins the Royals for the rest of the season. Yakubu has been a free agent since his release from Qatar side Al-Rayyan in May 2014.'

Fair point. If he hasn't been playing it's a bit, oh dear.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Feb 2015 15:32

Might have come up in conversation.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 03 Feb 2015 17:28

Re: The Yakby Cletus Van Damme » 03 Feb 2015 09:49
My main concern is he's spent the last 4 years it seems living the life; earning big money; playing at a very poor standard. All the talk of Prem goal scoring records are a long time ago and he's clearly been on big money abroad, so I doubt he's half a cheap as people are making out.

At least unlike Ferdinand, he actually played some games of football before we signed him.

Clearly neither Hammond signings, like Pog and Drenthe I'd rather have owners who pay the tax bill than sign players. Yak must have a good agent

Good old Barry silkman apparently.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Feb 2015 17:39

I think it's reasonable to have reservations about signing a player definitely in his 30s, but questionable whether its high or low 30s, who left the PL to go to rubbish leagues, and may not have played much in the last six months. That's not the same as saying he'll do badly, but that the decision to sign him is questionable and it seems a less solid decision to some of us with a higher than necessary chance of failing.

Clearly when it comes to him actually playing anyone who isn't a total bellend is going to see how he does before saying he'll fail or is shit.

But if he doesn't play for a month, and / or doesn't play well for the first 2-3 games he appears in, then there's going to be a quicker and worse reaction because of the questionable nature of the signing in the first place. Hopefully we'll never see it as most of us would be far happier seeing him do well than being shown to be right to question the signing.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 03 Feb 2015 17:54

floyd__streete

Last edited by seahawk10 on 03 Feb 2015 17:59, edited 2 times in total.

Reading6Barrow3

by Reading6Barrow3 » 03 Feb 2015 17:58

Good short term signing. Hopefully he is match fit though, as he is needed asap. Not worried about what he does outside the box. He is a finisher and that is what we need most.

Hopefully he will give it 100% , as it will be his last chance to show what he can do and get a decent contract in England. If he is uesless, we haven't wasterd much money, and probably saved a bit not paying over the odds in the transfer window.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Feb 2015 18:00

Ian Royal i don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment. But please name 5 outfield players from the last 15 years that were still playing at Championship level or better at the age of 40. Or i call bullcrap.

Wouldn't have a clue, or any interest in finding out. Plenty of players play into their mid to late 30's, which is what he is.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Feb 2015 18:04

On Saturday we were saying "Where's Jamie when you need him"?
After all he is still banging the goals in at the age of 39 and the main criticism was his work rate and why Pardew picked Forster ahead of him.
Yakubu historically has a work rate that Imho is less than Cureton's, his heading ability isn't up to much,his hold-up play is not very good and he has only ever played with better class players than we currently have who provided all those chances.
Also it seems as though he hasn't played since May and at age 37 or whatever he is that is not good news.

To compare him with Roberts is ridiculous-Roberts had always been an excellent hold-up player and a team man-Yakubu is/was a finisher and nothing more.
Not an exciting signing in a very dull season and a stop-gap that I hope is better than anybody called Ferdinand or Keown or for that matter Goater , all of whom had done well in the past (like Yakubu) but all well past their sell-by date which is why they cost nothing.

What surprises me and some of the earlier posters is that there appears to have been money available for Vibe or Murray in excess of £1 million but we end up spending virtually nothing-if he does well then hats off to Nicky but please fellow fans do not expect too much from this old boy.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 03 Feb 2015 18:07

Well it can't be a worse signing than Ferdinand can it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Feb 2015 18:15

Victor Meldrew please fellow fans do not expect too much from this old boy.

We have never had high expectations of you Victor.....

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Feb 2015 19:13

:D :D
Obviously I should have said THAT old boy-don't expect anything from me as I only post about every 3 months or so these days.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Feb 2015 19:24

Victor Meldrew On Saturday we were saying "Where's Jamie when you need him"?
After all he is still banging the goals in at the age of 39 and the main criticism was his work rate and why Pardew picked Forster ahead of him.
Yakubu historically has a work rate that Imho is less than Cureton's, his heading ability isn't up to much,his hold-up play is not very good and he has only ever played with better class players than we currently have who provided all those chances.
Also it seems as though he hasn't played since May and at age 37 or whatever he is that is not good news.

To compare him with Roberts is ridiculous-Roberts had always been an excellent hold-up player and a team man-Yakubu is/was a finisher and nothing more.
Not an exciting signing in a very dull season and a stop-gap that I hope is better than anybody called Ferdinand or Keown or for that matter Goater , all of whom had done well in the past (like Yakubu) but all well past their sell-by date which is why they cost nothing.

What surprises me and some of the earlier posters is that there appears to have been money available for Vibe or Murray in excess of £1 million but we end up spending virtually nothing-if he does well then hats off to Nicky but please fellow fans do not expect too much from this old boy.

So basically you don't like him because he used to play for Everton.

382 posts