Have you taken to Steve Clarke yet?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 209
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Have you taken to Steve Clarke yet?

by winchester_royal » 08 Feb 2015 10:50

From Despair To Where? We look defensively much, much stronger with largely the same players. That's absolutely got to be down to the tactics and formations employed, the responsibility for which lies squarely with the manager.

I was very much pro Adkins but I have to absolutely agree with MmmMonsterMunch, regardless of his record elsewhere, Adkins was just the wrong manager for Reading. We've always been more successful as a quick counter attacking team, this whole patient passing build up has never worked for us

Mostly agreed. Though I would argue that under Clarke we're still playing passing football at times, it's just with purpose and movement off the ball. The way we saw the game out yesterday was a joy to watch, keeping control of the ball and looking threatening on the counter at the same time.

On a side note - really impressed with the the shape that Akpan was in yesterday. Wouldn't think he'd been out for 2 months. The likes of Guthrie could learn a lot from his professionalism. Excited to see what Clarke can do with him as he does have the attributes to make a really good midfielder.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Feb 2015 11:20

Ian Royal
MmmMonsterMunch Sorry Ian you're the one talking nonsense. Neither Rodgers or Adkins were right for us. There is no such thing as right man, wrong time. You're either good at a job or you're not. They weren't and that was why they were both sacked.

Oh yes, of course. That's why they've been total failures everywhere. My mistake. :roll:

What they've done elsewhere has absolutely no bearing on their performance at Reading. They both made a complete hash of the Reading job and that's why they were both fired.

If I try to be fair and take my bias out of it, there's a very small argument that Rodgers may have come out the other side in the end and should have been given a little more time but we were dangerously close to the drop zone and couldn't even beat Scunny at home so they had to pull the plug. Personally, I didn't think he made much progress with us and all his bravado & gob really didn't help his cause either.

In addition I'd say that because of what happened with Rodgers, Adkins was actually afforded WAY more time than he should have got. That statement applies to the board and the fans. Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh?

The more I think about Adkins & his inept backroom team, the more I realise just how woefully out of their depth they all were. How that Saints team got 2 successive promotions with him and got to the Prem I will never, ever know. I'm guessing the Saints fans don't know either and it was one of those magical eras in their history where everything just clicks.

Not too dissimilar from when we won the league under McD if we're all honest....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2015 11:26

:lol: First you say performance elsewhere is irrelevant to try to get out of looking stupid for saying Rodgers and Adkins are both shit managers and then you rant yourself into saying Adkins fluked himself into double promotions. LMFAO. FYI you're failing miserably on keeping your bias under control.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Feb 2015 11:30

What part of Adkins and Rodgers were both shit managers for Reading don't you understand Ian?

It's not a difficult concept to grasp, it really isn't.

The reason I mention Adkins' previous record is because he was SO SO bad here, I can't fathom how he's had success elsewhere.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Feb 2015 11:41

Re: Clarke - he's a dour Scot and I doubt I'll ever warm to him particularly for that reason. Dour Scots have had some past success in the management of football sides however, so I'll like him if he manages to knock our lot into shape.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Feb 2015 12:50

Dour Scots > strangely positive scousers

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Feb 2015 14:06

winchester_royal
Mostly agreed. Though I would argue that under Clarke we're still playing passing football at times, it's just with purpose and movement off the ball. The way we saw the game out yesterday was a joy to watch, keeping control of the ball and looking threatening on the counter at the same time.i

It was more the slow passing build up with little penetration i wasreferring to, this whole mentality that seemed to exist under Adkins that possession is king. It's not the amount of possession but what you do with it that counts. Clarke's philosophy reminds me a bit of Coppell. We can pass the ball with the best or them in this league but there's a core solidity and a bit of steel and heart, we are creating decent chances and there seems to be a plan to how we play. We're looking better and better each week and it's the same core of players who were putting in increasingly guttless and clueless performances under Adkins.

I said when Clarke was appointed that the club was like a supertanker. It would take time to slow the decline and more time to turn it around. Clarke has done that now and we are now starting to move in the right direction. Some of the fun and enjoyment is back and we can look forward to the rest of the season with some optimism

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 10 Feb 2015 19:41

I particularly like the fact that he wouldn't look out of place wearing lots of coats on a park bench shouting at pigeons and constantly unpacking and repacking various carrier bags into one another.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Feb 2015 22:29

Will rapidly go off him if he keeps doing the Nigel Adkins impersonation he did tonight.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 10 Feb 2015 22:31

After tonight I`m really not so sure, that was Adkins mark 2

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 10 Feb 2015 23:23

'greed

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 10 Feb 2015 23:23

windermere_royal After tonight I`m really not so sure, that was Adkins mark 2

Same as all the other Pcunts great when its going well but fuxing clueless when its Bad

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 10 Feb 2015 23:28

Ian Royal :lol: First you say performance elsewhere is irrelevant to try to get out of looking stupid for saying Rodgers and Adkins are both shit managers and then you rant yourself into saying Adkins fluked himself into double promotions. LMFAO. FYI you're failing miserably on keeping your bias under control.

Have you no bed to go to you boring individual. every topic or conversation I view you are there you must be one sad dude day after day on here I guess it must be like an addiction to you. Feck this I'm off

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 10 Feb 2015 23:49

sandman Will rapidly go off him if he keeps doing the Nigel Adkins impersonation he did tonight.

This.

Everything about tonight was very, very, odd.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Feb 2015 00:07

I did love him when we won Saturday but now I hate him. I'm so conflicted.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 11 Feb 2015 00:09

We lost a game!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Feb 2015 07:58

MmmMonsterMunch How that Saints team got 2 successive promotions with him and got to the Prem I will never, ever know.

££££££££££££££££££££

Premier League budget in League 1 and Championship. In the summer of 2012 weren't they the biggest spending club in europe :?:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Feb 2015 10:49

The thing is with Clarke is that we've had 9 good performances and now the 1 anomalous bad performance.

With Adkins we had continual poor performances for a while, cumulating in the Brum hammering. I'm sure we'll see a much improved performance on Saturday, even if we do lose.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Feb 2015 11:04

tidus_mi2 The thing is with Clarke is that we've had 9 good performances and now the 1 anomalous bad performance.

With Adkins we had continual poor performances for a while, cumulating in the Brum hammering. I'm sure we'll see a much improved performance on Saturday, even if we do lose.

It hasn't been 9 good performances at all. Probably about 50/50.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Feb 2015 11:15

Pepe the Horseman
tidus_mi2 The thing is with Clarke is that we've had 9 good performances and now the 1 anomalous bad performance.

It hasn't been 9 good performances at all. Probably about 50/50.

Alright I did exaggerate there, the Millwall and Bolton games were certainly dull as anything else but I would argue even when we've looked bad we haven't looked like losing.

363 posts