What's the best atmosphere you've ever experienced.....

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: What's the best atmosphere you've ever experienced.....

by SCIAG » 13 Feb 2015 15:25

QPR at home, 05/06. Particularly when we won the penalty. Murty to score for the points record.
Chelsea at home, 06/07. Only time I can remember the whole home end joining in a chant. Chelsea had quite a wide repertoire of songs but we definitely won. ("Here to see the Champions" was one highlight)
A few matches in 12/13. McCarthy against Liverpool, and Le Fondre against Chelsea and West Brom.

Reading6Barrow3

by Reading6Barrow3 » 13 Feb 2015 17:58

SCIAG QPR at home, 05/06. Particularly when we won the penalty. Murty to score for the points record.

Agree, a proper party atmosphere. Even QPR supporters joined in with the blue and white display before the game.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 13 Feb 2015 18:09

Wigan play off semi final (but only right at the end).

At 3-2 down in the play-off final against Swansea. Again, it wasn't for long, but for a few minutes there it was total and absolute mayhem. Makes what happened next all the worse.

Tony Rougier hauling us back in front to beat Oxford.

But only one game was from start to finish coated in the most astonishing atmosphere of hope, then belief in the face of the evidence, then sheer magnificent celebration of what seemed so unlikely. Reading 3 - Boro 2. Made all the sweeter when watching on TV later. Whichever snide dickwad was commentating patronisingly sneered "welcome to the Premiership" as Boro's second goal went it. What a day that was.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 13 Feb 2015 18:17

Reading6Barrow3
SCIAG QPR at home, 05/06. Particularly when we won the penalty. Murty to score for the points record.

Agree, a proper party atmosphere. Even QPR supporters joined in with the blue and white display before the game.

Poofs.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 13 Feb 2015 18:34

Quite timely given tomorrows game but I'll give a shout to Derby away in '85 at the Baseball Ground. It felt like a taste of the big time - just over 16,000 for a 3rd division game at a proper old atmospheric stadium, 2 sides going for promotion and we stood strong to earn a 1-1 draw.

Palace away in '87 was another decent one, Mr Coppell was building a great team there and Reading were struggling and ultimately got relegated that season - good atmosphere and super game ended up 2-3 to Reading.

Osborns scoop

by Osborns scoop » 16 Feb 2015 10:06

Mr.Swainey
Reading6Barrow3

Poofs.

Except they didn't join in at all.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Feb 2015 10:58

A few for me

Newport County in the Quarter Final of the European Cup-Winners Cup
drew 2-2 at Carl Zeis Jena. In the home game we absolutely SLAUGHTERED
them, saves, hitting woodwork, goal-line clearances but lost 0-1 to the eventual finalists.

Not bad for a third-tier club.

But even greater atmosphere was at Cambridge. We were playing well but every time
Cambridge attacked they scored and we were losing 4-0 at half time. The Newport
away fans were in an old corrugated iron stand and we would not shut up.

Second half, heavy rain, it went 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4 and we could not believe it. The noise
was immense. Then Cambridge scored and we were losing 5-4.

We equalised 5-5 then won it 5-6 .

In the club house afterwards there was a hole in the roof with rain pouring in
and we sang (of course) I'm singing in the rain.

Best Reading game for me was when we beat Liverpool 3-1 I think

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 16 Feb 2015 11:30

Outside of all the obvious ones already mentioned...Bryn's goal against Man Utd at Old Trafford in the FA Cup. The Reading fans were up in the Gods behind the goal and the combination of excitement and disbelief that we'd drawn level made for crazy celebrations. I think it was the game when a relatively unknown Federici had a blinder.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 16 Feb 2015 14:28

Croydon Royal Outside of all the obvious ones already mentioned...Bryn's goal against Man Utd at Old Trafford in the FA Cup. The Reading fans were up in the Gods behind the goal and the combination of excitement and disbelief that we'd drawn level made for crazy celebrations. I think it was the game when a relatively unknown Federici had a blinder.

I remeber this! We all went absolutely nuts!

Away from the obvious ones again, Reading 3-2 Crystal Palace. Was it a last minute Lita goal to win it? Great scenes.

Reading 2-3 Man United. We went 3-0 down in about 7 minutes but then battered them for the rest of the game. I remember Bryn smashing the crossbar at 3-2 as well. Fans were brilliant that night.

wally bassoon

by wally bassoon » 16 Feb 2015 14:33

Samrfc01
Croydon Royal Outside of all the obvious ones already mentioned...Bryn's goal against Man Utd at Old Trafford in the FA Cup. The Reading fans were up in the Gods behind the goal and the combination of excitement and disbelief that we'd drawn level made for crazy celebrations. I think it was the game when a relatively unknown Federici had a blinder.

I remeber this! We all went absolutely nuts!

Away from the obvious ones again, Reading 3-2 Crystal Palace. Was it a last minute Lita goal to win it? Great scenes.

Reading 2-3 Man United. We went 3-0 down in about 7 minutes but then battered them for the rest of the game. I remember Bryn smashing the crossbar at 3-2 as well. Fans were brilliant that night.

Glenn Little making a mug of Heinzea (sp) over and over again.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 16 Feb 2015 14:37

Newcastle away first season in the prem in the concourse at half time the people behind the bar were threatening to stop serving as it was too noisy :lol: :roll:

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 16 Feb 2015 14:44

theres been a few, all mentioned above. I seem to remember Sheff United away standing out, when Doyle scored after 20 seconds. Warnock was getting some stick that day

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 16 Feb 2015 23:54

Home match against Bolton in 94/95 season. The most packed & noisy I remember the South Bank. And the result we needed as well :)
Leicester away in the 106 year. The reaction to Mr Doyle's goal & the way the whole stand shook in the last part of the game & at the end was something I'll never forget.
Middlesbrough at home in the 106 team's first game in the top flight, especially the way things built to explosive as Reading got back into it. The RFC fans replicating Middlesbrough's "This is the Premier League" chant back at them when Reading pegged them back was amusing to say the least :D
And extra mentions to Wolves at home right after McGhee left & 'Lovell 2, McGhee 1' a couple of years later!

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 Feb 2015 08:49

Armadillo Roadkill
Tony Rougier hauling us back in front to beat Oxford.

Good pick that. Was in lashing rain too. For mere minutes, Rougier was better than any player ever to have walked the planet. Legs and feet dancing in mesmerising patterns, defenders falling in heaps on the floor and two goals in the last 15 minutes to grab us a 4-3 win.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 17 Feb 2015 09:10

My favourite game atmosphere was away at Birmingham in 2012. Lost 2-0 but don't think anyone cared - everyone was just enjoying the experience of being champions.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Feb 2015 09:14

Yeh, that was good fun. Awful game mind.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 17 Feb 2015 09:22

Lets hope we can add Bradford Qtr final March 2015 to this list. Hopefully this will be up there with Cardiff playoff as my best atmosphere.