87%
No
13%

Total votes: 209
leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Have you taken to Steve Clarke yet?

by leww_rfc » 25 Feb 2015 09:53

windermere_royal So really if the real problem is playing too many games in a short space of time, who`s fcuking bright idea was it to re-arrange the Brighton game for the 10th, right in the middle of this run of midweek games?

They had no choice due to the Quarter Final.

old woman

by old woman » 25 Feb 2015 09:55

I had until last night. He played Guthrie. He'll have to do a lot to win me round now :o

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Feb 2015 10:29

agreed- his stock with me dropped a fair bit last night after making 6 changes to a winning team.

how he thought we would win any game with a midfield of norwood, taylor and Guthrie is beyond me

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 25 Feb 2015 10:31

leww_rfc
windermere_royal So really if the real problem is playing too many games in a short space of time, who`s fcuking bright idea was it to re-arrange the Brighton game for the 10th, right in the middle of this run of midweek games?

Why, as far as I am aware the season doesn`t finish till May. I know we were due to play Brighton on QF day, but to arrange it for 3 days later when many of our players may be leg weary after the Bradford game is just irresponsible

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 25 Feb 2015 10:39

windermere_royal
leww_rfc

Why, as far as I am aware the season doesn`t finish till May. I know we were due to play Brighton on QF day, but to arrange it for 3 days later when many of our players may be leg weary after the Bradford game is just irresponsible

We don't have much choice - the club doesn't get to choose the week it is moved to and our midweek home games have always been on a Tuesday

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Feb 2015 10:47

melonhead how he thought we would win any game with a midfield of norwood, taylor and Guthrie is beyond me

I doubt that he did. He's playing a longer game than those 90mins.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Feb 2015 10:53

yeah fair enough I guess.
but its those who were idiotic enough to travel up there I feel sorry for.

actually, no I dont

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Feb 2015 11:11

I wasn't surprised he made changes last night (he signposted that fact in his post match interview at Ipswich).

I was surprised however that Federici played when we know he's carrying an injury at present.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Feb 2015 12:09

Vision I wasn't surprised he made changes last night (he signposted that fact in his post match interview at Ipswich).

I was surprised however that Federici played when we know he's carrying an injury at present.

Does seem Mikkel Andersen is destined never to play for us.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 25 Feb 2015 12:16

Maguire
melonhead how he thought we would win any game with a midfield of norwood, taylor and Guthrie is beyond me

Not sure what his game is called. Could have easily rested players, rotated the team a bit and not fielded that car crash of a formation.

Bit baffled by this fella so far.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Feb 2015 12:18

Extended-Phenotype
Maguire

Not sure what his game is called. Could have easily rested players, rotated the team a bit and not fielded that car crash of a formation.

Still rare, but increasingly frequent, E-P agreed here.

There's rotating players but sticking with the nucleus of a gameplan and the players that have really helped us get those good results - and then there's nonsensically changing the formation and strategy and putting square pegs in round holes, like Guthrie on the left.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Feb 2015 12:27

Clarke's team selections and tactics are :| at best thus far. I particularly enjoyed the hugely ineffective 4-5-1 against Leeds, followed by the lunacy of Chalobah at centre-half against Wigan when we had Cooper on the bench. Last night's team selection was bizarre and the thrashing we suffered can be laid squarely at Clarke's door once again.

Not even sure I am that keen on the bloke's attitude at times tbh. "I don't have to explain my team selections"; erm yes you do :!: "The players are tired"; oh do f*ck off, you made 6 changes and brought a load of ineffectual dross into the team :|

The only real positive I can say about the bloke thuis far is at least he doesn't come out with the management-speak drivel of his predecessor. Otherwise, totally underwhelmed by Steve Clarke thus far.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 25 Feb 2015 12:51

He's looking at the bigger picture Floyd. Just relax. You can't really judge him until next season, and even then that may be a little too early.

He needs time to get rid of players and bring some in, then they need time to bed in.....

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 25 Feb 2015 12:56

No Fixed Abode He's looking at the bigger picture Floyd. Just relax. You can't really judge him until next season, and even then that may be a little too early.

He needs time to get rid of players and bring some in, then they need time to bed in.....

but i feel he isn't that fussed about being our manager....he just see's it as a stop gap before grabbing a Premier League job

Other managers seemed (or came across) like they really cared about the club

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 25 Feb 2015 12:58

No Fixed Abode He's looking at the bigger picture Floyd. Just relax. You can't really judge him until next season, and even then that may be a little too early.

That is of course true, but it does somewhat cloud your views on Clarke when he continues to put square pegs in round holes unnecessarily. Bar the tedious drivel spouted by his predecessor, that was his worst fault too.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 25 Feb 2015 12:58

TBM

but i feel he isn't that fussed about being our manager....he just see's it as a stop gap before grabbing a Premier League job

But if he fails miserably at Reading it would scupper his chances of a Premier League job. That's Steve Clarke's demeanour. He's quite dour. So he fits in the Steve Coppell and McDonut mould.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Feb 2015 13:28

Sanguine
Vision I wasn't surprised he made changes last night (he signposted that fact in his post match interview at Ipswich).

Does seem Mikkel Andersen is destined never to play for us.

Apart from those times he played for us?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Feb 2015 13:45

Extended-Phenotype
Maguire

same here.

I hope he's not a manager who over thinks everything and always changes his team. I get him making changes to protect the team but we're not out of the relegation woods yet and some of his decisions are frankly very odd - such as wholesale changes in a team short on consistency.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Feb 2015 13:51

No Fixed Abode
TBM

But if he fails miserably at Reading it would scupper his chances of a Premier League job. That's Steve Clarke's demeanour. He's quite dour. So he fits in the Steve Coppell and McDonut mould.

Agreed 100%

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Feb 2015 14:19

There is an awful lot of faux-fuss here

Federici,
Kelly, Obita, Pearce (c), Hector,

No argument with the back five being played after a 1-0 win at Ipswich

Akpan, Norwood, Guthrie, McCleary, Taylor,

Nothing much wrong with Norwood/Guthrie in front of Akpan
except (maybe) Norwood-Guthrie too similar

Many on here have said Akpan is important to the side as he does the
dirty work allowing others to play

That APPEARED to be a midfield three with McLeary and Taylor wide, and as such
I'd've had no problem at all with the selection given his need to rest players

(see later)

Yakubu up front (resting Pog & Cox) seems perfectly sensible.

From the radio it sounded like The Yak did very little but the manager is still
testing two players (important) and giving The Yak a chance to show he can
still do it. Not the manager's fault if Yak doesn't step up to the mark (other
than, I presume, he looks sluggish etc in training)

What seemed odd was playing Guthrie wide and McCleary at Number 10. McLeary has played 0ff the striker before for Forest and scored four in one game from that position, but Guthrie wide was a surprise.

However, McCleary hasn't been brilliant wide in recent games and his raw speed seems to have
(temporarily) gone. There was a second half at home where he was a total passenger and fell
out with Williams.

I'm guessing the manager is trying to find a way for McCleary to regain his best form.

Added to all that I think SC felt he had a free ticket at Huddersfield, could afford to lose
and thought the threat of a loss was worth it, all other things considered.

OK we let in three, but they were all down to individual errors as was the error that led to Huddersfield hitting the post.

Surely the manager has to look at his squad and make decisions? Why not now when there's a reasonable margin for error?

I'd expect our strongest team at home on Saturday v Forest, then Rag-Tag & Bobtail at Bolton (unless we lose badly Saturday and the bottom three gain points on us.)

363 posts