SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Bibbo and Armstrong gone?

by SCIAG » 24 May 2015 00:47

Snowball
SCIAG
Neither of Arsenal's goals were scored at the near post

!!

The first was straight down the middle. The second was hit across Federici and he deflected it in the near post, but it wasn't scored by hitting it between Federici and the near post.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 May 2015 09:17

It was scored at the near post

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 24 May 2015 09:54

Feds doesn't have a near post problem. All keepers concede goals there. A 'problem' would be conceding 5+ a season that he should have otherwise saved IMO. He doesn't do that

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 May 2015 10:15

blueroyals HRK voted worst player of the season, is second highest earner

When was this vote?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 24 May 2015 12:47

urz13 Feds doesn't have a near post problem. All keepers concede goals there. A 'problem' would be conceding 5+ a season that he should have otherwise saved IMO. He doesn't do that

I disagree. But that's not really the point anyway.

The point is that not a single one of us knows how good Bibbo was as a coach. We have no idea how much better/worse our keepers might have been if they'd been coached by someone else. There is simply no way of telling.

Likewise we don't know the kind of atmosphere that the club had behind the scenes last season. We were all making comments about the fact that something seemed 'rotten' in terms of players attitude and the general feeling around the club. For all we know the guys who lost their jobs weren't creating the right kind of environment.

Clarke has come in tasked with clearing out the deadwood and rejuvenating the club. That involves people being moved on both on and off the pitch. He will have a far better idea than us about the respective qualities of the coaches and is in a much better place to make those decisions.

If it doesn't work then Clarke will rightly take the blame, but until we see the results of this shake up it is frankly ridiculous to start calling for his head.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 24 May 2015 13:22

Silver Fox
blueroyals HRK voted worst player of the season, is second highest earner

When was this vote?

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/big-reading-fc-survey-garath-9264373

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 May 2015 13:31

The only argument about Bibbo's quality appears to be that he didn't eradicate all weaknesses in our keeper's game.

But you'd have to be an idiot not to see the improvement in Feds from when he was second to Hahnemann and where he is now.

Likewise McCarthy's kicking was diabolical when he started, by the time he left it was merely bad.

Bibbo has worked with Hahnemann, Federici, Hamer and McCarthy, all played at the top level. Three of them he helped develop.

The only logical reason for this move is that the problem Clarke's identified is that the players and coaches are too matey.

Well I'd rather he identified the obvious weak spots in our squad and dealt with the coasters, rather than devoting time to replacing an excellent GK coach and finding a new kit man ffs.

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 24 May 2015 13:43

My level of pissed offness will depend on who they're replaced by and how they get on, too early to judge whether this is a good call or not. Although if it's some coaches/kitmen from the Chelsea U18s/16s or something like I'll be sceptical to say the least.

Also, its oxf*rd ridiculous to blame that goal Fedders let in at Wembley on his near post issue. (IMO) He obviously had an issue at his near post but blaming that goal on it... no chance.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 24 May 2015 15:43

Ian Royal The only argument about Bibbo's quality appears to be that he didn't eradicate all weaknesses in our keeper's game.

But you'd have to be an idiot not to see the improvement in Feds from when he was second to Hahnemann and where he is now.

Likewise McCarthy's kicking was diabolical when he started, by the time he left it was merely bad.

Bibbo has worked with Hahnemann, Federici, Hamer and McCarthy, all played at the top level. Three of them he helped develop.

The only logical reason for this move is that the problem Clarke's identified is that the players and coaches are too matey.

Well I'd rather he identified the obvious weak spots in our squad and dealt with the coasters, rather than devoting time to replacing an excellent GK coach and finding a new kit man ffs.

How long do you think it takes to find a new kit man? :lol:

And as said above...not one of us knows how good a coach Bibbo actually is so can we please stop talking like he's goalkeeping coaching answers to Mourinho.

Players, especially Goalkeepers, develop with experience so any development we saw from Feds. AMc, etc cannot be solely attributed to Sal and we have no idea how good they may/may not have been under a different coach. The quality of a coach is not something as fans we are in any position to judge.

Either way, as always it's no surprise to see the Clarke critics using any excuse to have a pop.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 May 2015 17:33

I think we can make an informed judgement given our relative success during his time here, particularly in the goalkeeping department. And the fact multiple managers have kept him on.

The evidence in favour of Bibbo being good at his job for us is a fukton greater than Clarke, who's got sweet FA stored in the bank of positives.

If there isn't someone new announced fairly quickly because Clarke has someone lined up it just looks more and more like he hasn't got a clue. It's not like he's new and untested. He's been with us for half a season of shitness.

And if kit men so easy to find and insignificant why bother switching.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 May 2015 17:35

If Bibbo was that good, why was he at Reading for so long?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 May 2015 17:42

Hendo If Bibbo was that good, why was he at Reading for so long?

This would be the Reading that have consistently been one of the best 30 sides in the country for the majority of his time here?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 24 May 2015 17:54

Ian Royal I think we can make an informed judgement given our relative success during his time here, particularly in the goalkeeping department. And the fact multiple managers have kept him on.

The evidence in favour of Bibbo being good at his job for us is a fukton greater than Clarke, who's got sweet FA stored in the bank of positives.

If there isn't someone new announced fairly quickly because Clarke has someone lined up it just looks more and more like he hasn't got a clue. It's not like he's new and untested. He's been with us for half a season of shitness.

You're clearly not getting the point so I won't bother again.

And I didn't say kitmen were insignificant - don't put words in my mouth - Ron Grant had a massive impact at the club. I just don't think it will distract anyone from the strengthening of the team.

Anyone who has worked in any team will tell you that the attitude of every single person will have an impact on that team. Kit men are part of that dressing room and if for what ever reason they aren't doing a good job then the decision to change is absolutely right and I can't believe it's something that you feel able to cast judgement on as you have absolutely no idea what goes on in that dressing room.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 May 2015 17:58

winchester_royal
urz13 Feds doesn't have a near post problem. All keepers concede goals there. A 'problem' would be conceding 5+ a season that he should have otherwise saved IMO. He doesn't do that

I disagree. But that's not really the point anyway.

The point is that not a single one of us knows how good Bibbo was as a coach. We have no idea how much better/worse our keepers might have been if they'd been coached by someone else. There is simply no way of telling.

Likewise we don't know the kind of atmosphere that the club had behind the scenes last season. We were all making comments about the fact that something seemed 'rotten' in terms of players attitude and the general feeling around the club. For all we know the guys who lost their jobs weren't creating the right kind of environment.

Clarke has come in tasked with clearing out the deadwood and rejuvenating the club. That involves people being moved on both on and off the pitch. He will have a far better idea than us about the respective qualities of the coaches and is in a much better place to make those decisions.

If it doesn't work then Clarke will rightly take the blame, but until we see the results of this shake up it is frankly ridiculous to start calling for his head.

Completely agree with all of this but so far Clarke has done bugger all to impress me so we will need to see some real positives early on.

Ian Royal The only logical reason for this move is that the problem Clarke's identified is that the players and coaches are too matey.

Not sure why that would be more logical than suggesting that Bibbo (and others) had been deemed partially responsible for creating a negative atmosphere around the club.

Reality is that none of us who are expressing an opinion on here know the truth.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 May 2015 18:30

too matey - negative atmosphere. largely the same thing really - all behind the scenes mentality issues, but fair enough.

I agree that no one knows exactly what's going on. I'm not claiming to. I'd just like to see something positive because I've seen nothing during Clarke's tenure and frankly I don't trust him to do anything right. I wouldn't be keen on this decision from anyone given the obvious problems we have and these people's past contributions to the club. But I could take it if there was any sign Clarke was going to do anything other than be shit.

So far his sole achievements are to concede slightly fewer goals and make it to the semi-final of the FA Cup via by far the easiest opportunity we've had. Just baffled by the people so desperate to defend his every decision that they'll cast aspersions at the competency of people who've surely done enough to justify our appreciation over the years.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 May 2015 18:57

Ian Royal
Hendo If Bibbo was that good, why was he at Reading for so long?

This would be the Reading that have consistently been one of the best 30 sides in the country for the majority of his time here?

I'm guessing that in the majority of his time here that most, if not all, the other 29 clubs would have changed their goalkeeping coach? He could have been snapped up by any of them if he was an excellent coach. I remember John Fearn (sp?) being snapped up by Chelsea, so it does happen, if you're good enough at what you do.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 24 May 2015 18:58

winchester_royal
Ian Royal I think we can make an informed judgement given our relative success during his time here, particularly in the goalkeeping department. And the fact multiple managers have kept him on.

You're clearly not getting the point so I won't bother again.

And I didn't say kitmen were insignificant - don't put words in my mouth - Ron Grant had a massive impact at the club. I just don't think it will distract anyone from the strengthening of the team.

Anyone who has worked in any team will tell you that the attitude of every single person will have an impact on that team. Kit men are part of that dressing room and if for what ever reason they aren't doing a good job then the decision to change is absolutely right and I can't believe it's something that you feel able to cast judgement on as you have absolutely no idea what goes on in that dressing room.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 24 May 2015 19:33

I'm not that bothered by any of this to be honest.

Mid/lower level coaching staff don't cost a fortune - paying off a one year rolling contract won't be the end of the world.

Bibbo inherited and looked after one of our best ever keepers and has overseen the development of one hugely talented youngster. I'll give him credit for his work with Feds too but surely we can find somebody equally competant at running through the goalie's coaching manual.

Baffled by getting rid of the kitman. Maybe he ironed a crease into SC's knickers. But not difficult to replace.

We've no idea if SC wants his own team in place or if Bibbo and co have been sniping behind the scenes all season. Cliques happen in every workplace.

It would worry me far more if someone like Dolan went.

244 posts