CONFIMRED - Orlando Sa

245 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Orlando Sa

by Ian Royal » 01 Jul 2015 19:40

Hoop Blah Sa appeared to fall out with Berg because he wasn't built to play upfront on his own, and Berg was looking to play that way, so I think it's unlikely we'll see him at the top of that line up. I think it's much more likely we'll see Sa leading the line with Pogrebnyak (with Cox as cover) playing just off him.

If we get Donaldson he'll probably be the one to play up top on his own if Clarke wants to go down that route.

I can't see Clarke moving away from a back four either. It was fashionable for a while, and obviously Liverpool used it to decent effect more recently, but Clarke strikes me as a bit more old school than that.

Yeah not expecting it. But it would suit Gunter and Obita a bit better. And a few others would be perfectly fine in it.
Switch out Cooper for Pog (or Donaldson if he signs) in a 4-4-2 and I wouldn't be surprised if that was our starting line up in August. With a keeper obvs.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 01 Jul 2015 23:04

I'm expecting a flat back 4 with

Quinn Williams

Gmac norwood Hrk?

Sa

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jul 2015 23:15

WoodleyRoyal I'm expecting a flat back 4 with

Quinn Williams

Gmac norwood Hrk?

Sa

You're unlikely to see it. Norwood hasn't really played as an attacking midfielder for us. Clarke barely picked him and when he did it was definitely Williams who played further forward, particularly at the end of the season. Norwood was always much more of a deeper lying playmaker and Clarke didn't seem to want one of those.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jul 2015 23:26

I do think we have the players to make a really good 5-3-2 work. McCleary's the issue, though I guess he could play right wing back or even as one of the three central midfielders.

Hector can step into midfield or move to full back, allowing us to switch to a back four without making any subs. We've got good midfield options and strikers who work best in partnerships, as well as two or more excellent wing-backs.

The issue I see is that Gunter, Obita and McCleary all produced their best form with a partner who understood them really well. Kebe and McAnuff could run a wing on their own. I guess if someone like Kuhl sat deep then Hector could put those overlapping runs to good use, but it would be asking a lot.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 02 Jul 2015 03:20

Surely one of the main reasons for using a 5 at the back formation is so that you're less reliant on wingers - as the wing backs cover both roles. In which case, we'd be playing 2 up front with a midfield 3 - unless any wingers played very high up the pitch, essentially as support strikers.

I also don't think Gunter would suit it either - he's not a good attacking full back despite his reputation as one. When he gets further up the pitch he virtually never takes his man on, he simply stops, turns around and passes it backwards or to a deeper midfielder.

Esteban

by Esteban » 02 Jul 2015 08:19

SCIAG I do think we have the players to make a really good 5-3-2 work. McCleary's the issue, though I guess he could play right wing back or even as one of the three central midfielders.

Hector can step into midfield or move to full back, allowing us to switch to a back four without making any subs. We've got good midfield options and strikers who work best in partnerships, as well as two or more excellent wing-backs.

The issue I see is that Gunter, Obita and McCleary all produced their best form with a partner who understood them really well. Kebe and McAnuff could run a wing on their own. I guess if someone like Kuhl sat deep then Hector could put those overlapping runs to good use, but it would be asking a lot.

McLeary and Gunter isn't too bad for the Championship, but the Obita and HRK partnership is functional at best. We either need a very good left back or a left winger who will defend well enough to help out Obita.

A keeper is the most urgent requirement, but after that, we have got to address that left side.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jul 2015 08:47

Ian Royal ________________Keeper
_______Cooper_Hector_ McShane*
Gunter__________________________Obita
____________Williams_Quinn
___McCleary________________HRK??
__________________Sa

That won't be the regular team

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2015 19:22

I'd like to see

----------------------Bond----------------------
Gunter----Hector----McShane----Obita
McCleary----Quinn----Williams----Fosu
--------------Sa----Pogrebnyak--------------

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Jul 2015 21:32

Hi
genome I'd like to see

----------------------Bond----------------------
Gunter----Hector----McShane----Obita
McCleary----Quinn----Williams----Fosu
--------------Sa----Pogrebnyak--------------

Bench?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2015 21:36

About 280lbs, thanks for asking.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Jul 2015 21:41

genome About 280lbs, thanks for asking.

Single?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jul 2015 21:52

I still think Fosu is getting massively over rated here. But it's hard to choose anyone else, what with HRK and Blackman being such shithouses.

Bench...
Al-Habsi, Keown, Cooper, Norwood, Akpan, Stacey, Cox?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2015 07:46

First team is starting to look very decent. Would be nice to have a striking option off the bench. Someone who offers something different like Alf did!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jul 2015 18:56

NewCorkSeth
genome About 280lbs, thanks for asking.

Single?

Yes, and looking, what's your number?

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 05 Jul 2015 19:02

NewCorkSeth First team is starting to look very decent. Would be nice to have a striking option off the bench. Someone who offers something different like Alf did!

HRK offers something different off the bench. Not what we want or need but definitely something different.

Chappers93

by Chappers93 » 05 Jul 2015 19:56

NewCorkSeth First team is starting to look very decent. Would be nice to have a striking option off the bench. Someone who offers something different like Alf did!

Dominic Samuel?

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 05 Jul 2015 19:59

First team shaping up but our reserves are still so weak, when we inevitably pick up a few injuries we have no good replacements thus far

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Jul 2015 20:39

If we'd signed the back ups first HNA would have blown up as people ranted about lack of ambition, poor signings etc....

Or perhaps he has signed the backup players first and we'll start seeing the stars move in next week...

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Jul 2015 21:03

Looks a bit ALFesque which is good, but then again the defending looks Adkinsesque.
I'm pleased with what I've seen. Mind you after the last half of the last season I'm just pleased we have signed a striker.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Jul 2015 21:47

urz13 First team shaping up but our reserves are still so weak, when we inevitably pick up a few injuries we have no good replacements thus far

Seriously? Try having some patience, it's the 5th of July and there's plenty of time left to buy players let alone for Clarke to use the loan market (something he's shown much more willingness to do than some of our previous managers).

After last week the squad is looking pretty healthy. We still need to add in a few places but I imagine we'll get to a point soon where it'll need players to leave before we bring more in (e.g. we won't bring in Ake until Akan leaves).

245 posts