Re: Thailand Tour

by TFF » 08 Jul 2015 15:17

The Man Utd Euro Cake was quite fun

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 08 Jul 2015 15:21

TFF The Man Utd Euro Cake was quite fun

Mata pretending to eat and enjoy the egg roll? Everyone else just laughing at him. :lol: :lol:

biff

by biff » 08 Jul 2015 15:24

Pretty decent really. Decent wingplay and running. Akpan absolute cack(pan), no spatial awareness. Fosu was brilliant, Bond looks handy. We move on.

RustyRoyal

by RustyRoyal » 08 Jul 2015 15:32

jt_1871 I know it's just a friendly but can someone tell me what does Hope Akpan do/ offer? All I have seen is someone way off the pace, game passing him by, ball bouncing off him rather than control it. Also I reckon it was at least 10 mins into 2nd half before he even got a touch on the ball :evil:

Not been able to watch the feed today but whenever someone says something like this I think back to the game
against Wolves when Adkins took him off at half time for Guthrie. After leading comfortably we lost control of the midfield and almost lost the game.

In my opinion he has a lot potential he has yet to show as evidenced in that game, but it may just highlight how crap Guthrie was.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Jul 2015 15:35

TFF The Man Utd Euro Cake was quite fun

Oh yes. Juan Mata biting a superimposed cake, players rubbing their tummies, the narrator just saying "Euro Cake: Manchester United"... gold.

Thought it was Owusu who set up the second goal? But then Samuel has copied his hairstyle so who knows.

Good:
Fosu - really lively and good delivery, worked hard and defensively aware.
Tshibola - got us out of a few tight spots, really composed and great tackling
Williams - drove forward really well from midfield
Keown - poor foul for the first goal, but some excellent play. One move in the first half he backed off really well and forced the opponent to take a pot shot from a tight angle. Really good distribution too. Hard to judge against this side but looked a credible fifth choice centre back.

Bad:
Kuhl - Norwood was really struggling in the second half, but Kuhl didn't improve things and made that one huge mistake
Akpan - did he do anything? Dreadful 45 minutes
Clarke - really weird subs, particularly when Gunter went off and we were left with just Keown at centre back.
Referee - OK it was a friendly, but under normal circumstances the Thais should have had two players sent off, first for that awful challenge on Blackman and then the goalkeeper bringing down Fosu in a 1-on-1.

Overall I think that's pretty promising. Second half was dull, but add Hector, McCleary, Cox and Stacey to that squad and we're looking good.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Jul 2015 15:38

RustyRoyal
jt_1871 I know it's just a friendly but can someone tell me what does Hope Akpan do/ offer? All I have seen is someone way off the pace, game passing him by, ball bouncing off him rather than control it. Also I reckon it was at least 10 mins into 2nd half before he even got a touch on the ball :evil:

Not been able to watch the feed today but whenever someone says something like this I think back to the game
against Wolves when Adkins took him off at half time for Guthrie. After leading comfortably we lost control of the midfield and almost lost the game.

In my opinion he has a lot potential he has yet to show as evidenced in that game, but it may just highlight how crap Guthrie was.

Akpan had a dreadful half in that match and was rightfully substituted. We conceded the goals because of individual errors in the defence.

Edit: I withdraw the "Akpan rubbish against Wolves" comment but stick by the other one. At the time I said he "had quite a good half, he ran around a lot, played one excellent pass and only gave it away softly twice." Although apparently I was in the minority there...

The token display I go to if I feel the need to defend Akpan is Sunderland at home when he played attacking midfield and drove forward really well. Haven't really seen anything in the last two years to make me think he's worth persisting with, particularly when we have so many good young players in his position.
Last edited by SCIAG on 08 Jul 2015 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jul 2015 15:56

Blackman needs to learn to pass the fecking thing. We played well in the first half, and really struggled second half. Would've liked to see Samuel get some time through the middle. Ferdinand and Fosu both looked good in the first half.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 08 Jul 2015 16:06

Does it matter?? Not really. First game that could equally be described as an exhibition match, extremely hot conditions, the Ties singing 'Is that all you take away?' As biff said 'we move on'.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 08 Jul 2015 16:11

HRK the only unused substitute? Got a feeling that might mean something.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jul 2015 16:13

He was injured.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Jul 2015 16:19

Thought we looked much better in the final 10 minutes of the second half once Quinn and McShane were on the pitch. Quinn in particular showed a couple of really classy touches.

Kuhl passed the ball really nicely for most of his cameo, but he'll be remembered for standing on the ball a couple of times.

A few of the young lads didn't really look up to it, particularly Owusu who looked completely lost.

Promising signs when we had our best players fresh on the pitch though, and with plenty of quality to come into the team as well I think Clarke will be pretty happy with what he's seen today. Tish and Fosu did their first team chances no harm at all.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 08 Jul 2015 16:19

Pepe the Horseman He was injured.

'injured' hopefully...

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 08 Jul 2015 16:24

The best bit of business, so far, this close season might just turn out to be tying Fosu into a longer contract. Both he and Tshibola looked very comfortable in the game.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 08 Jul 2015 16:51

I think Fosu & Tshibola really stood out, they should both be pushing for the first team this season. Really surprised Liam Kelly was taken to Thailand, rather than Craig Tanner. Very strange.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 08 Jul 2015 18:05

LoyalRoyal22 I think Fosu & Tshibola really stood out, they should both be pushing for the first team this season. Really surprised Liam Kelly was taken to Thailand, rather than Craig Tanner. Very strange.

Tanner is a strange one, but if his report card at ACFW wasn't that good then SC may feel he needs another loan. Kelly could be a great player, but he really needs to grow a bit. Good passer, tidy on the ball and can take a decent free-kick.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 08 Jul 2015 18:34

Pepe the Horseman He was injured.

more like he's rubbish compared to Fosu and others on show.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 08 Jul 2015 19:08

I hear Ferdinand played most of the match. Any ideas how he did?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Jul 2015 19:27

marlowuk I hear Ferdinand played most of the match. Any ideas how he did?

Absolutely fine.

The only issue was that he got sucked across for the second goal, but even that would have been quickly forgotten if someone from midfield had tracked the runner.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Jul 2015 20:55

The Cap Does it matter?? Not really. First game that could equally be described as an exhibition match, extremely hot conditions, the Ties singing 'Is that all you take away?' As biff said 'we move on'.

Absolute gold there from you.

From the intermittent snippets I saw I thought Blackman looked alright

147 posts