Who should start at cb at birmingham

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Who should start at cb at birmingham

by TBM » 30 Jul 2015 20:53

SCIAG Hector has to start if he's fit because of his form last season. I think he will be.

Ferdinand is probably the best central defender at the club and the most ready to play.

McShane probably isn't going to be fit and probably won't be first choice anyway.

Keown isn't really a centre back and isn't on the same level as those three yet.

McShane will be our captain. So not sure why you say he won't be first choice

Plus he wouldn't leave a better club, in Hull, to come sit on the bench here

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 30 Jul 2015 22:20

Linkenholtroyal inexplicably fighting things again. Very angry individual.

McShane & Ferdinand whilst they can use Hector needing a rest as an excuse. First to f**k up will be on shaky ground for his place.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jul 2015 22:53

TBM
SCIAG Hector has to start if he's fit because of his form last season. I think he will be.

Ferdinand is probably the best central defender at the club and the most ready to play.

McShane probably isn't going to be fit and probably won't be first choice anyway.

Keown isn't really a centre back and isn't on the same level as those three yet.

McShane will be our captain. So not sure why you say he won't be first choice

If it was as simple as "McShane will be captain", then why hasn't it been announced yet? Even if he is appointed, it's not like we've made selecting the captain a priority in recent years.

Ferdinand's played at a higher level and to a higher standard than McShane for his whole career. It's possible the last few years have seen Ferdinand drop below McShane's level, of course, but I don't see any reason to believe that yet.

McShane was a long way from the first team at Hull, they have four of the best centre backs in the league ahead of him and they didn't want to keep him. Can definitely see him making the switch if we match his wages and point out Ferdinand's recent injury record.

It's possible McShane will be ahead of Hector, who still has a lot of development to do, but that doesn't seem like a good idea from a man-management perspective and I think Hector is more likely to be ready to play.

We could use a back 5, but that means leaving out Fosu and McCleary (and Stacey). If McShane and Hector are both available but not Fosu or McCleary then that seems preferable to using Blackman and Taylor on the wings. You'd expect us to have tried to prepare for it though, even with our present centre back shortage.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Jul 2015 23:07

UpThePrem Maybe even go for a back 5 with Hec, McShane and Ferdinand which would allow Gunter and Obita to get forward more. Not sure if Clarke has ever used this formation though.

This came up on Bristol Rovers radio commentary from someone who was guesting on the programme. Seemed to think Obita and Gunter should be allowed to push forward.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Addict

by Royals and Racers » 31 Jul 2015 08:02

Lower West
UpThePrem Maybe even go for a back 5 with Hec, McShane and Ferdinand which would allow Gunter and Obita to get forward more. Not sure if Clarke has ever used this formation though.

This came up on Bristol Rovers radio commentary from someone who was guesting on the programme. Seemed to think Obita and Gunter should be allowed to push forward.

That was Rob Wilson Reading east MP - who was really good and talked a lot of sense.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 31 Jul 2015 09:02

Out of all of them Mcshane is a nailed on certainty. I think Hector most likely as he is match fit but Ferdinand on bench. Keown not ready

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 31 Jul 2015 12:44

Royals and Racers That was Rob Wilson Reading east MP - who was really good and talked a lot of sense.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Jul 2015 13:04

Wison was guest for the Swansea game.
Obviously I didn't hear much of what he said but in the little I did hear he made it clear he was an Arsenal fan and didn't have much to say about us beyond a few generic cliches about how unpredictable the league is.
He then asked who he should submit his expenses to.

Jimmy K

by Jimmy K » 31 Jul 2015 13:09

Ferdinand and McShane at CB. Hector as DM with diamond formation.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 31 Jul 2015 16:32

TBM McShane will be our captain. So not sure why you say he won't be first choice

This is what I thought, but I do think Hector should be a definite starter so surely its Hector and McShane as first choice with Ferdinand a more than adequate back up when fit. I rate Cooper and Keown but I'd say one of them will be loaned out to gain more experience.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Jul 2015 16:37

You can't just pick your two preferred individuals. You need the right combination of skills, attitudes, personality etc etc.
It is quite possible that the two who form the best partnership are not the ones we think are the two best individuals.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Aug 2015 13:07

melonhead depends totally on hectors fitness/tiredness

Ferdinand and hector if fit and not tried
Ferdinand and mcshane if fit
Ferdinand and keown otherwise

This.

I think it'll be Hector and McShane by the end of the season... but with so little pre-season for both of them it seems a hard ask for them to come straight in.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 01 Aug 2015 18:40

Well after todays friendly I will not be surprised if we start with Hector and Ferdinand. I thought they looked comfortable and I felt the quality of Hector's passing was a cut above what we have come to expect from our defence

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Aug 2015 18:45

Hector and Ferdinand have the positions IMHO, but McShane will be pressing them hard. Interesting that Hector was captain.
We look solid at the back as long as Obita concentrates and Ferdinand was doing a lot of shouting at him today. He needs to listen....

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Aug 2015 20:12

McShane looked very comfortable when he came on. Given he's been out injured for a while his fitness level looked miles better than that of Sa. Ferdinand didn't do much wrong and is clearly a natural organiser, though his tackle on their number 9 in the first half was pretty robust for a friendly, and he was lucky not to be sent off in the mass brawl.

Guess Clarke is going to have a tough decision to make for next Saturday. We will not miss Pearce.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Aug 2015 20:17

Who's Pearce ?

Royal Badgeman

by Royal Badgeman » 01 Aug 2015 21:54

Ferdinand with Hector, and someone who can stop that bloody winger of theirs.

JordCot

by JordCot » 01 Aug 2015 22:53

Nameless Wison was guest for the Swansea game.
Obviously I didn't hear much of what he said but in the little I did hear he made it clear he was an Arsenal fan and didn't have much to say about us beyond a few generic cliches about how unpredictable the league is.
He then asked who he should submit his expenses to.

He seemed to repeat the fact that Swansea never ever score headers over and over again

I can't remember scoring many headers in the last few years either :roll: ... https://youtu.be/b7B2fD2ShSQ

StaceyIsOneOfOurOwn

by StaceyIsOneOfOurOwn » 03 Aug 2015 20:58

Unbelievable though it seems, and a sad indictment for our squad, but Ferdinand HAS to start as the only football brain in the defence and Hector's the next best form player I guess.

McShane will have to prove that he can partner either one of them then we can try to get something like we had over a year ago when we threw Morrison to the birds to pay a bill!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Aug 2015 15:49

StaceyIsOneOfOurOwn we threw Morrison to the birds to pay a bill!

You're thinking of Adam Le Fondre. We sold Morrison because Cardiff offered us more than he was worth.