1st 30 league games in charge

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
strap
Hob Nob Regular

1st 30 league games in charge

by strap » 30 Aug 2015 23:03

Just having a lazy meander around the database and put this out there for no other reason than I can ...

Only 22 out of our 52 managers/mangerial teams (including caretakers), have managed to amass 30 or more league games in the chair. The reason for this cut-off point is simply that the win at Brentford was Clarke's 30th league game for us.

Of those 22, Clarke comes in as the 21st most succesful, with a points per game record of 1.033, (using 3 points for a win).

Clarke has also had 8 Knock-out Cup games under his belt, and when these are added to his League games, his record over 38 games is much better, and he even boasts the highest number of away wins in any of our managers' first 38 League and Cup games in charge. Even so, he is only 16th out of 23 based on PPG after 38 League and Cup games. Impressed with his away record, but needs to do something about the home games.

Use as you will.

(Apologies, have resized the images to fit onto the screen width - may be a bit hard to see).

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: 1st 30 league games in charge

by Royal Ginger » 30 Aug 2015 23:22

Sucks to be Jack Smith...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Aug 2015 23:26

Ooof, below Terry the Taxi in both measures.

Hang on, where's McDermott on the list?

And more than half our managers haven't made a full season? Are you sure you're querying the old beast correctly?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 31 Aug 2015 09:06

Yeah, was also wondering about McDermott?

JIM

by JIM » 31 Aug 2015 11:03

who cares ? Its this season,with his chosen team that counts. Last season he and Adkins had all the rubbish forced on them by the Russian, now judge him on this seasons results.
Delete forced add inherited
Last edited by JIM on 31 Aug 2015 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 31 Aug 2015 11:54

If rumours are to be believed then the only player last season "forced" on Adkins was Ferdinand.

Clarke will come good. He's shown in the one-off games he can tactically get it right. The summer recruitment this year from those that have played (Quinn, Sa, McShane) look to have complimented our squad although we still look poor in goal.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 31 Aug 2015 13:21

Ian Royal Ooof, below Terry the Taxi in both measures.

Hang on, where's McDermott on the list?

And more than half our managers haven't made a full season? Are you sure you're querying the old beast correctly?

I think the old beast has decided to wipe BMcD from its memory! I will take a big stick to it and find out why! As for only having 23 of our managers being in charge for 38 games or more, "tis true I tells ye" - see the list below of managers' games totals since we entered the league in 1920.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Aug 2015 13:26

Ah, fair enough, that's a lot of caretakers.

That's equally a lot of managers with over 100 games. Just goes to shows in the last 20 years we're committed to give managers time. Only Rodgers and Bullivant haven't made a full season, and Bullivant still got 50 games. Shows how terrible we were under Rodgers. Can Clarke make it past Bullivant?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 31 Aug 2015 14:14

Many thanks for spotting McDermott AWOL. Had to coach the old beast with a bit of raw meat, but found the gremlin, His 1 match stint as caretaker was over-writing his later longer stint. Indeed, his 1st 30 league games record puts him at number 1 on a PPG basis - so a serious omission, for which profuse apologies, not least to BMcD.

For the eagle-eyed, I have also removed Harry J Matthews from the list as he was Secretary/Manager in our SL days.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 31 Aug 2015 14:16

Its an outrage that Micky Godding isnt mentioned in the list ..... SORT IT OUT

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Aug 2015 14:38

I petition that you change the entry to Mick Quinn, Jimmy Gooding or Quinn Gooding strap.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Aug 2015 16:59

RG30 If rumours are to be believed then the only player last season "forced" on Adkins was Ferdinand.

Clarke will come good. He's shown in the one-off games he can tactically get it right. The summer recruitment this year from those that have played (Quinn, Sa, McShane) look to have complimented our squad although we still look poor in goal.

They were both still dealing with the after effects of the regime, ie restrictive wages, disruptive characters, unbalanced squad and a business without stability and leadership.

That's not the recipe for success.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Aug 2015 17:28

Hoop Blah
RG30 If rumours are to be believed then the only player last season "forced" on Adkins was Ferdinand.

They were both still dealing with the after effects of the regime, ie restrictive wages, disruptive characters, unbalanced squad and a business without stability and leadership.

That's not the recipe for success.

Agreed. And it doesn't have to be a new signing to be a player forced on you, it can be a player previously signed that you can't get rid of.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 01 Sep 2015 09:35

Ian Royal I petition that you change the entry to Mick Quinn, Jimmy Gooding or Quinn Gooding strap.

Pleasure ...

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Sep 2015 12:16

It would be interesting to see Alex Ferguson's record after 30 League games in charge of Man Utd.

From a Reading perspective, did the 30 game ppg figures equate across the whole of the reign of each Manager, or were there significant increases/decreases?

Also, why have the games that a guy had as caretaker not been included in his totals? I know Pards had a single caretaker game (iirc, a defeat to Huddersfield albeit it a much better performance) then came back some time later as Manager, but Maccy D's caretaker spell didn't set the World alight did it? Include those 8 games at the start of his 30 and his ppg ratio comes down.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Sep 2015 12:24

7 goals in 15 home league games is the massive issue that needs to be resolved.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 01 Sep 2015 14:41

Mr Angry It would be interesting to see Alex Ferguson's record after 30 League games in charge of Man Utd.

From a Reading perspective, did the 30 game ppg figures equate across the whole of the reign of each Manager, or were there significant increases/decreases?

Also, why have the games that a guy had as caretaker not been included in his totals? I know Pards had a single caretaker game (iirc, a defeat to Huddersfield albeit it a much better performance) then came back some time later as Manager, but Maccy D's caretaker spell didn't set the World alight did it? Include those 8 games at the start of his 30 and his ppg ratio comes down.

All good points. I can't comment on Ferguson's first games. With regard to our managers and caretaker roles, I treat these as separate spells as they are on trial and generally do not get any fiancial backing until they are permanently in charge.

It's like players who come on loan before signing permanently. I treat these as two distinct spells.

I have updated the 38 game League/Cup/Play-off game list, and corrected for the two different Jack Smiths we had in charge. I have then also shown the PPG for all managers 1st 38 games in charge and the PPG at the end of their reign. Not sure how much that can be read into this, but it's a bit of fun whilst watching Clarke sell off our future.

PS Thanks to all for the free Beta testing!

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1