The Non - League thread

10749 posts
Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2015/16

by Four Of Clubs » 26 Oct 2015 10:36

AthleticoSpizz Great stuff as always FoC

Re. Thatcham
Should they get a promotion slot at the end of the season....would they be able/willingto take it? Did they not drop down to the Hellenic by choice (not relegation) a couple or three years ago?

As an aside, Sad to see that beleaguered Reading Town don't even get a mention in the Reading Chronicle these days

...many thanks for compliment ... :oops:

Thatcham : tricky one - they did indeed opt for demotion at the end of 13-14 season, on the grounds of financial strain. Bearing in mind Flackwell's choice NOT to go up last year, would seem to bring into question the wisdom of jumping back in to the potential mire again so soon.
Sholing have done the same thing - resigned from the Southern League - went back to the Wessex - won the league (and the Vase) - hence got lots more dosh; went back up and effectively let themselves be demoted again after one season by not spending enough on the ground to pass grading - and by some accounts it would not have needed that much either.

I spose at least Thatcham have the 'been there; done that' experience of eight seasons trawling up and down the M4/M3/M40/M5 (actually half the current member clubs are scattered alongside the latter from Tiverton to Evesham) - that they'd have to do, were they placed by the FA in One South & West. Marlow and Burnham are just about hanging on in there too.
Thatcham's average 'trip' distance were they to be in that division would be somewhere between 60 - 70 miles. If by chance they were stuck in the Central section the average would probably come down by as much as 10 per trip - with AFC R&D, St Ives and Bedford being the furthest away.

The 'Kingfishers' must have had an influx of funding from somewhere, as they've a much improved playing squad this season in the Hellenic but whether they'll keep that together or be able to further improve it were they promoted, is another issue.

They'll probably make a statement on their own website nearer the end of the season - assuming they have applied to go up and have sufficient investment to ensure they pass grading. Waterside Park must be adequate for STEP04; though certain parts of it are getting a bit tatty - after all it's about to enter it's 24th year! :o (I can recall going there in its first)

RTFC : will have to ask the local hopper who goes to lots of RSFL and Reading Sun. League matches around 'ding. He's good mates with the Chronic reporter; who was virtually 'in residence' at Scours and was always there whenever I trudged along. Maybe the club officials have alienated him - along with a lots of other local football people.
I've only watched them once this season away at Chinnor (Abingdon Town) a couple of months back and they were not in the best of moods - continually arguing amongst themselves and were certainly NOT engendering a convivial team spirit with their own management team. :?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Oct 2015 13:20

Brilliant afternoon at York Road, sensational MU performance. The first two goals were sensational, we took an early lead and sat back too much for my liking in the first half but in the second half we killed off full time opposition from a higher division with two clinical finishes in quick succession and then saw the game out in the pouring rain with ease. 867 the crowd, an excellent atmosphere soured by a handful of Woking chaps with a poor attitude starting trouble and being bundled out of the ground. I saw Oxford City vs Woking in the FA Trophy last season and saw similar attitude and behaviour from Woking followers, it is most unwelcome.

Congrats to Diddy and to Basingstoke. Be lovely to see our three most local surviving non league sides rewarded with good draws tonight, BBC2 7pm.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Oct 2015 13:23

FoC Wednesday -I'm lured towards the prospect of North Leigh v Winchester

Same, not been to Eynsham Park in approaching a year. I saw Maidenhead struggle over two games with Winchester so am expecting a good game on Wednesday.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Oct 2015 13:19

Didcot Town vs Exeter City
Port Vale vs Maidenhead United
Cambridge United vs Basingstoke Town

Good draw all round for local sides, fully deserved! Didcot game is an absolute cert to be televised, I am sure the Broadcasters will also choose either (or both?) of FCUM and Salford City, both of whom predictably got home draws against league opposition. Broadcasters will be dying to keep up the love affair they have with anything Manchester-football related as they expect the rest of the country to be in love with the nauseating Class of 92 concept.

Christof

by Christof » 27 Oct 2015 15:49

Four Of Clubs Slough Town 3-1 Cambridge City - 'Rebels' climb to 7th thanks to a goal from much travelled marksman Charlie Strutton - came to prominence a few years back with bags of goals from the age of 17 over a six year spell for Chalfont St Peter - reportedly over 240 goals in 200 appearances :o ; was snapped up by AFC Wimbledon but never flourished - vaguely recall reading he picked up two very nasty ankle injuries early on whilst out on loan at both Maidenhead and then Aldershot - did score some goals for the Dons in Cup games. Has since had a couple of spells with Maidenhead & Braintree: he signed for the Essex club last year where he's come to Slough via a loan deal/spell with Hayes & Yeading this season. Still only 26 so could yet revive his career with Sluff?

His loan spell finishes tonight against Chippenham Town, as do the other two loanees. Charlie has been getting fitness with Slough but I don't think he'll extend as Ed Smith should be back soon (been also recovering from another hamstring injury at Hartley Wintney).
Paul Stonehouse and Declan Benjamin have been quote frankly different class, maybe as you would expect from Oxford City, and many would like them to be permanent (esp. Stonehouse, as good a left-back as has been seen at Wexham/Holloways in many a year). Fortunately, their appearance resulted in an upswing in fortune and 6 wins in the last 7 is not to be sniffed at...

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 27 Oct 2015 18:41

Four Of Clubs
... full Review tomorrow but no fairy tales for the lower ranked clubs - Hartley W went down 2-3 at Eastbourne Boro from three steps above them;

Mate of mine went to this. From what I read and what I was told it was a great tie. Eastbourne went 2-0 up but Hartley pegged them back to 2-2, both goals in the last 20 mins, Eastbourne winning it in injury-time. Incredible that Hartley took them so close, it seems like it was largely one-way traffic for the whole game. Fight in the stands which saw a woman ejected and also a fight on the pitch, though I don't believe any red cards were shown.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 28 Oct 2015 11:13

Christof His loan spell [Charlie Strutton] finishes tonight against Chippenham Town, as do the other two loanees. Charlie has been getting fitness with Slough but I don't think he'll extend as Ed Smith should be back soon (been also recovering from another hamstring injury at Hartley Wintney).
Fortunately, their appearance resulted in an upswing in fortune and 6 wins in the last 7 is not to be sniffed at...

.... notched two more in the Rebel's topsy-turvy 3-3 at Chipp'num last night - Harris with the other - Sluff behind 3 times in the game.

Elsewhere in the Southern League Hungerford crashed 1-4 at Merthyr and Chesham bt leaders Poole 3-1. In the lower SL sections - Fleet were edged 0-1 at Calthorp by Hanwell; Chalfont St P bt Godalming 4-1 and SYCOB had grabbed three points with a win over Aylesbury on Monday evening.
In the S&W section Diddy came down to earth following their time in the FA Cup spotlight with a loss 1-2 at Banbury; Marlow as expected despatched the sorry 'Bash' 5-0 at Oak Tree Rd.

Up in the National league Basingstoke followed up their good Cup triumph with a 3-1 win over high-flying Whitehawk - albeit with two very late goals at the Camrose, enabling them to leapfrog StAlebuns and W-S-M at the bottom.

Plenty of excitement in the Hellenic too with the top end of the table turning into a real melee: -
I saw leaders Flackwell work hard for a 3-1 win at Wokingham & Emmbrook ;
- Ascot came from behind for a 2-1 win over close rivals Kidlington -
- Thatcham in 2nd kept up the pace with a 6-2 romp vs Brackley Saints.
- Highworth stay in touch with a big win 5-0 at Tuffley
- and on Monday night Highmoor/IBIS drove on with a 4-0 battering of RWBT.

At the other end Bracknell grabbed a vital three points 3-1 at fellow strugglers Abingdon Utd. 'Robins' only sit above the 'Sumas' but are 3-4 points behind a cluster of clubs and they have 3-4 games in hand on most of them. Indeed if Wok & Emm play with the drive and spirit they did last night at Mill Lane, they too could start reeling those clubs in and make for an interesting tussle in the basement!
Binfield now down in 11th but with games in hand, are in danger of dropping off the pace - have a very important match tonight (Wed) up at Court Place vs Nomads - who themselves will be looking upwards at the leading pack.

Not many league matches in the Combined Counties last night :
- Guildford City continued their sudden upturn in form with an impressive 3-0 win at Horley.
- Strugglers Chertsey grabbed 3 points with a 1-0 vs RPV
- Chess 'n Hook humbled 9-3 on Saturday returned to winning ways 2-1 over Bedfont Sports
- and last ... but by no means etc etc Hartley Wintney's incredible start to the season continues with a thumping 4-2 win at AFC Hayes. Now up to 2nd place, 100% 10 from 10 - three points behind Ashford Town with 5 games in hand!

... although I mentioned 'Sumas' above showing real fight against the big hitting Flackwell - you have to be a mite concerned for their future participation in the FA Vase - up next on Saturday they make a short trip down to ..... Hartley Wintney !! :?

Big Vase/Trophy etc Preview to follow later in the week ! 8)

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Oct 2015 13:18

FoC In the S&W section Diddy came down to earth following their time in the FA Cup spotlight with a loss 1-2 at Banbury

I was there to witness something I've not seen before, 2 penalties awarded within seconds of each other!

At 2-0 down, Didcot were awarded a kick for a foul (correct decision IMO) Banbury didn't really need to make in the box. They complained bitterly but their goalkeeper parried a weak penalty. From the rebound, the keeper pulled down the taker.....another stonewall penalty, dispatched this time to round off the scoring. As a footnote, the defender who bitterly complained about the first pen earned himself a yellow and received a second yellow within 90 seconds of the second penalty being scored for a none-too-clever tackle.

Didcot vs Exeter, midday 8th November on BT Sport.

No surprise whatsoever to see that our state broadcaster has opted to televise Salford City in order to propagate their nauseating love affair with the 'Class of 92'. As if Salford weren't getting enough publicity with a tax-payer funded BBC mini-series commencing this week.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 28 Oct 2015 13:31

floyd__streete
FoC In the S&W section Diddy came down to earth following their time in the FA Cup spotlight with a loss 1-2 at Banbury

I was there to witness something I've not seen before, 2 penalties awarded within seconds of each other!

At 2-0 down, Didcot were awarded a kick for a foul (correct decision IMO) Banbury didn't really need to make in the box. They complained bitterly but their goalkeeper parried a weak penalty. From the rebound, the keeper pulled down the taker.....another stonewall penalty, dispatched this time to round off the scoring. As a footnote, the defender who bitterly complained about the first pen earned himself a yellow and received a second yellow within 90 seconds of the second penalty being scored for a none-too-clever tackle.

Didcot vs Exeter, midday 8th November on BT Sport.

No surprise whatsoever to see that our state broadcaster has opted to televise Salford City in order to propagate their nauseating love affair with the 'Class of 92'. As if Salford weren't getting enough publicity with a tax-payer funded BBC mini-series commencing this week.

It is rather Nauseating, but even without the Class of 92 crap these 2 games were always a standout for tv. Viewers want to see Non League home to a league team and the tv money goes a long way at these clubs.

Royalist

by Royalist » 28 Oct 2015 20:46

Pretty hard to argue with the 'story' of the class of 92 owners plus the good draw though isn't it?

Nice payday for Didcot. £66k just for being on tv. 2000 fans at a tenner each possible too maybe more? Really is great what the cup can do for some clubs.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Oct 2015 13:11

Royalist Pretty hard to argue with the 'story' of the class of 92 owners plus the good draw though isn't it?

The 'story' being 5 multi-millionaires buy a tiny club. Hardly the typical 'good news' non league story. It is all about the BBC's cosy love-in with Manchester united. Can't televise them in this round? Let us broadcast the nearest thing to it then! As you say 'great what the cup can do for some clubs'.....so our 'State Broadcaster' gives the same club two seperate opportunities for publicity (and cash, of course.....cash you and I have pumped into it).

Don't even start me on them moving games to a Sunday just so that they can broadcast a sub-standard 'Jeff Stelling-lite' studio programme.....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Oct 2015 13:22

News from Bracknell is that Mark Tallentire is back at the club as manager replacing Keith Pennicott-Bowen.

Also the club are applying to convert their pitch to the latest artificial type (G3) as well as moving it slightly to accommodate a new clubhouse (long overdue) and allow further residential flats nearby.

Still all to be precisely finalised and planning permission granted but if it does happen an artificial pitch should mean a lot more income is possible.

I note there is no mention of a plan to bring league football to the town yet though...

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 29 Oct 2015 13:48

... just a couple of snippets afore I start on this w/e's Preview -

RTFC: asked about the reporting dearth in the 'Chronic' - said former-resident reporter was at the same game as I, on Tuesday evening (Sumas v Flackwell)

..apparently (and these aren't his words) he no longer covers the Scours lane gang, as they have dropped too low in the NL pyramid.

Don't buy the rag me'self but I'd assume/hope you might now be able to read far more about Highmoor/IBIS and maybe even Ascot/Bracknell and Wok & Emm this season - though they have their own local papers to send reporters from (unless he does both already?)
On-line features still seem to cover the Thames Valley League and Woodley Utd were getting some coverage too and they are down at the same level as their landlords RTFC? Not been an update on NL there for a week now though? :?

Wednesday: in the end couldn't face the interminable roadworks around the west/northern end of the Poxford Ring Road so left slightly later, after a more civilised tea:
shunning Nor Lye v Winchester - which the visitors won 2-1 (up to 6th with games in hand) and instead swung anti-clockwise round the other side of said fair-City to watch Nomads 0-4 Binfield
Two very very early strikes by JJ (Jemel Johnson) put Moles 2 up; a penalty + red Card and a fine volley both scored by Josh Howell and the contest was done by H/T .

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Oct 2015 17:57

Thanx FoC, RTFC answer pretty much is as I thought it would be.

Yes, Ibis Woodley etc getting far much more coverage as you suggest.

Royalist

by Royalist » 29 Oct 2015 18:39

Sure its not a typical non league story but its still certainly a 'marketable' story isn't it much like the FC United game.

Isn't the actual money man some foreign billionaire anyway?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 30 Oct 2015 12:31

...here we are then - : this week preview of NL w/e 30/10

Saturday 31st October

FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round
(Friday 30th October)
23 St Ives Town v Kettering Town 20.00h KO
45 Thamesmead Town v Ramsgate
70 Winchester City v Weymouth

(Saturday)
18 Evesham United v Redditch United
30 Northwood v Bedford Town
31 East Thurrock United v South Park
32 Corinthian Casuals v Redbridge
33 Chipstead v Hastings United
34 Leatherhead v Kingstonian
35 Enfield Town v Leighton Town
36 Aylesbury v Brentwood Town
37 Phoenix Sports v Tonbridge Angels
38 Herne Bay v Walton Casuals
39 AFC Hornchurch v Metropolitan Police
40 Thurrock v Chatham Town
41 VCD Athletic v Staines Town
42 Chalfont St Peter v Waltham Abbey
43 Cheshunt v Heybridge Swifts
44 Billericay Town v Chesham United
46 East Grinstead Town v Bognor Regis Town
(at Bognor Regis Town FC)
47 Tilbury v Tooting & Mitcham United
48 Dunstable Town v Haringey Borough
49 Hitchin Town v Burgess Hill Town
50 Lewes v Hampton & Richmond Borough
51 Grays Athletic v Biggleswade Town
53 Wingate & Finchley v Royston Town
54 Harrow Borough v Dulwich Hamlet
56 Worthing v Leiston
57 Merstham v Harlow Town
58 Bury Town v Kings Langley
59 Needham Market v Canvey Island
60 Paulton Rovers v Swindon Supermarine
61 Molesey v Didcot Town
62 Taunton Town v Dorking Wanderers
63 Hungerford Town v Banbury United
64 Cirencester Town v North Leigh
65 Dorchester Town v Chippenham Town
66 Mangotsfield United v Bashley
67 Egham Town v Frome Town
68 Merthyr Town v Poole Town
69 Peacehaven & Telscombe v Tiverton Town
71 Bideford v Farnborough
72 Marlow v Larkhall Athletic

(Sunday 1st Nov)
52 Romford v Slough Town - @ Thurrock FC
55 Hendon v AFC Sudbury

FA Vase 1st Round
45 Bowers & Pitsea v Hanworth Villa
58 Sporting Bengal United v Southall
60 Edgware Town v Whitton United
61 Cogenhoe United v Biggleswade United
62 Harefield United v Greenhouse Sports
63 Eastbourne Town v Farnham Town
64 Hartley Wintney v Wokingham & Emmbrook - be a real shock if Sumas came through this tie but they certainly looked a bit 'steelier' in spite of defeat vs Flackwell this week.
65 Worthing United v Sutton Common Rovers
66 Knaphill v Cray Valley (PM)
67 Deal Town v Oxford City Nomads
68 Littlehampton Town v Tadley Calleva
69 Andover Town v Newhaven
70 Cove v Canterbury City
71 Corinthian v Pagham
72 AFC Croydon Athletic v Beckenham Town
73 Loxwood v Highmoor Ibis - hosts from the Southern Combination (formerly Sussex County league) based in the middle of nowhere abouit a doz. miles due south of Guildford in West Sussex
74 Haywards Heath Town v Alton Town
75 Kidlington v Ashford Town (Middx) - good clash with both sides at the upper end of their respective leagues - outcome will fuel the debate further about relative strengths of the CCL & Hellenic
76 Bedfont Sports v Carterton
77 Lancing v Camberley Town
78 Gravesham Borough v Hailsham Town
(at Hailsham Town FC)
79 Windsor v Croydon
80 Steyning Town v Horsham
81 Thame United v Bridon Ropes
82 Meridian VP v Lordswood
83 Bristol Manor Farm v Bridport
84 Plymouth Parkway v Blackfield & Langley
85 Moneyfields v Corsham Town
86 Witheridge v Hallen
87 Horndean v Barnstaple Town
88 Lymington Town v Wells City
89 Calne Town v Salisbury - expecting a big turnout for this one
90 Whitchurch United v Welton Rovers
91 Team Solent v Cadbury Heath
92 Odd Down v Camelford + no replay (decided on the day aet/pens if need be)
93 Portishead Town v Newport (IW)
94 AFC Portchester v Abbey Rangers
95 Gillingham Town v Hengrove Athletic + no replay (as above)
96 New Milton Town v Buckland Athletic
97 Sholing v Laverstock & Ford
98 Bishop Sutton v Torpoint Athletic
99 Fairford Town v Brimscombe & Thrupp
(Sunday 1st Nov)
53 AFC Dunstable v FC Clacton

NAT
Kidderminster Harriers v Woking
Southport v Aldershot Town
NATN
Chorley v Brackley Town
NATS
Bath City v Chelmsford City
Concord Rangers v Maidstone United
Dartford v Hayes & Yeading Utd
Eastbourne Borough v Sutton United
Ebbsfleet United v Wealdstone
Gosport Borough v Hemel Hempstead Town
Havant & Waterlooville v St Albans City
Maidenhead United v Basingstoke Town - not quite sure why this hasn't been scheduled for a Holiday - (Xmas/Easter) game as it usually is?
Oxford City v Bishop's Stortford
Truro City v Margate
Whitehawk v Weston-Super-Mare

SOUTH1C
Beaconsfield SYCOB v Fleet Town
SOUTH1S&W
Burnham v AFC Totton
Wimborne Town v Wantage Town

{Note unlit grounds are having earlier KOs November thru Feb}
CCLP
Badshot Lea v Spelthorne Sports
Raynes Park Vale v AFC Hayes
Westfield v Colliers Wood United
CCL1
Banstead Athletic v Worcester Park
Bedfont & Feltham v South Park Res
Cobham v Sandhurst Town
Dorking v Ash United
Epsom Athletic v Dorking Wanderers Res
Eversley & California v Frimley Green
14:00 Sheerwater v Farleigh Rovers

HELLP
Ascot United v Tuffley Rovers
Longlevens AFC v Bracknell Town
Lydney Town v Abingdon United
Milton United v Binfield

Thatcham Town v Ardley United
HELL1E
14:30 Finchampstead v Chalfont Wasps
14:30 Penn & Tylers Green v Didcot Town Res'
Bicester Town v Reading Town @ Ardley FC
Holyport v Wantage Town Res'
Rayners Lane v Henley Town
16:00 Chinnor v Old Woodstock Town - later KO as Hosts (Abingdon Town) Reserves side have a Cup match KO 13:30
HELL1W
14:30 Letcombe v Clanfield 85'

WESS1
Andover New Street v Fleet Spurs
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 30 Oct 2015 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 30 Oct 2015 12:47

Did anyone watch the programme on Salford City last night?

Those former United lads are brilliant tbf.

Royalist

by Royalist » 30 Oct 2015 17:05

Felt sorry for the fans who just wanted a non league club with a strong community they could feel part of really rather than a ambitious club spending 400 a week on washed up old pros in an attempt to go up the leagues as soon as possible.

But it was a cracking documentary and really did well in getting across the 'soul' of non league football...being hijacked slightly!

Linden Jones

by Linden Jones » 30 Oct 2015 19:22

Four Of Clubs NATS
Bath City v Chelmsford City
Concord Rangers v Maidstone United
Dartford v Hayes & Yeading Utd
Eastbourne Borough v Sutton United
Ebbsfleet United v Wealdstone
Gosport Borough v Hemel Hempstead Town
Havant & Waterlooville v St Albans City
Maidenhead United v Basingstoke Town - not quite sure why this hasn't been scheduled for a Holiday - (Xmas/Easter) game as it usually is?
Oxford City v Bishop's Stortford
Truro City v Margate

Not been a holiday fixture for about a decade as Maidenhead have tended to play HAYU and Staines. However this season its Oxford City & Hemel

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 30 Oct 2015 19:42

Linden Jones
Four Of Clubs NATS

Not been a holiday fixture for about a decade as Maidenhead have tended to play HAYU and Staines. However this season its Oxford City & Hemel

... that got my anorak all of a flutter - so I looked it up - I know I took my eldest to the Camrose fixture at Xmas but that would indeed have been about 2004 - his younger brother had the treat of the same fixture but that was in 2010-11 season in April but NOT Easter.

I've not gone back and checked NYD games but the last 'holiday' date I could find this fixture being played on, was the following season 11-12 - actually Boxing Day 2011 @ York Rd 1-1 draw .... (so hardly a decade but longer ago than I'd have imagined.)

EDIT: They also played the return fixture only 5 days later on NYE at the Camrose - Magpies winning 3-1

Does appear that Farnborough, Staines and H&Y were the 'derby' games of choice more recently. :mrgreen:

*** Breaking News - well from earlier this week ***
Bracknell Town - new manager Mark Tallentire has snapped up two of his former club players from Burnham this week : Callum Whitty has re-signed for the 'Robins' for a third time (made his debut in goal :shock: back in 2003 season - returned in 10/11 in between lengthy spells with Binfield - another of Tally's former clubs.)
Also talk that much travelled (locally) striker Carl Davies has now joined the Larges Lane club this week too - also from Burnham where he was skipper. Much chat room mumblings that a few other former Binfield players, currently at 'The Gore', will follow Davies and Whitty - amongst them possibly Jamie Suarez and Gary Calloway.
This PM Bracknell are away at Gloucester-based Longlevens.

10749 posts