Are you?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 194
Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Are to unhappy Steve Clark is staying?

by Hampshire Royal » 23 Nov 2015 15:30

CountryRoyal
Hampshire Royal I don't get to games as often as I like to (I have a long way to travel to games). I saw my first game his season against Charlton (my first game since Wembley last year), and in my opinion, we played really well, with all the characteristics you say you want from a Reading team. We should have won by more, but their keeper had a really good game.

I have ordered a half-season ticket and although I still won't be able to make every game, I will see as many as I can. I firmly believe that having a ST will guarantee me tickets for the promotion run-in.

We are still 7th in the league only eight points behind first with 29 games to play.

As far as trying to hold onto the lead on Saturday goes, I think this is perfectly understandable given the feeling Clarke's rejecting Fulham generated.

Remarkable that you thought we played well against Charlton. The last win before yesterday but the first of the poor performances since our good run, which is still continuing and is showing no signs of stopping. It was attack v defence with Charlton being the most negative side to visit in recent years showing no intent other than hoping for a draw. Had they not foolishly gone down to 10 men I suspect their organisation would have seen out the draw. In that game it didn't quite click, we were off the boil and everything was a bit slow and lumbered. Traits which are very much evident in the team at the moment.

Fair play for travelling to as many games as you can though especially with expense and effort.

To be fair, We're not Arsenal or Barcelona, and never will be. All things are relative and I was comparing the performance against Charlton with the performances in games I saw last season, both before and after Clarke. They were pretty dire!! The difference between Clarke's team and Adkins' was that we no longer leaked goals, even though we didn't score many.

The worst thing we could do is to sack the manager and then bring in someone else so that the whole rebuilding process has to start again. I honestly don't know whether we'll be top-six this season. Probably not, but I've got to believe that we will be.

elrey

by elrey » 23 Nov 2015 15:49

Ascotexgunner
elrey It's funny.

Firstly the board allowed him to speak to Fulham. So.... is it his fault the board said yes and he went and met with Fulham? They offered him MORE MONEY and he turned it down to stay.

Reading FC as a loyalty based club.

Adkins - fired for having his best players sold from under his feet and given no support in the transfer market whatsoever. He did BETTER than Clarke with a bunch of rubbish.

McDermott - fired for being TOO SUCCESSFUL. Oh, what the hell was that all about?

Rodgers - fired for not being given enough support to change a team from a bunch of hoofers to a team that played his style of football.

Yeah, we're all about loyalty us, and Clarke, what a bustard for not leaving the club when he could have got more money.

Disagree on Bodgers. He had a decent side, just utterly clueless how to use them. Agree on BMac who was stabbed in the back by the board but Adkins was woeful..best players sold or not. Clarke had us playing some really great stuff at the start of the season, not sure why it went so pearshaped injuries or not. I hope this is sorted quickly one way or another.

Rodgers was hired by people who should have known what he was, a manager who wants to play passing football. If you hire the wrong person, who's fault is it?

Adkins was woeful, so too was Clarke. He was worse than Adkins with the same squad.

Adkins won 7 matches in his final season at Reading in 21 games.
Clarke won six matches in 25 matches with the same team.

Who was woeful?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Nov 2015 16:11

Hampshire Royal
CountryRoyal
Hampshire Royal I don't get to games as often as I like to (I have a long way to travel to games). I saw my first game his season against Charlton (my first game since Wembley last year), and in my opinion, we played really well, with all the characteristics you say you want from a Reading team. We should have won by more, but their keeper had a really good game.

I have ordered a half-season ticket and although I still won't be able to make every game, I will see as many as I can. I firmly believe that having a ST will guarantee me tickets for the promotion run-in.

We are still 7th in the league only eight points behind first with 29 games to play.

As far as trying to hold onto the lead on Saturday goes, I think this is perfectly understandable given the feeling Clarke's rejecting Fulham generated.

Remarkable that you thought we played well against Charlton. The last win before yesterday but the first of the poor performances since our good run, which is still continuing and is showing no signs of stopping. It was attack v defence with Charlton being the most negative side to visit in recent years showing no intent other than hoping for a draw. Had they not foolishly gone down to 10 men I suspect their organisation would have seen out the draw. In that game it didn't quite click, we were off the boil and everything was a bit slow and lumbered. Traits which are very much evident in the team at the moment.

Fair play for travelling to as many games as you can though especially with expense and effort.

To be fair, We're not Arsenal or Barcelona, and never will be. All things are relative and I was comparing the performance against Charlton with the performances in games I saw last season, both before and after Clarke. They were pretty dire!! The difference between Clarke's team and Adkins' was that we no longer leaked goals, even though we didn't score many.

The worst thing we could do is to sack the manager and then bring in someone else so that the whole rebuilding process has to start again. I honestly don't know whether we'll be top-six this season. Probably not, but I've got to believe that we will be.

No one is claiming we are. All i ask for and expect is a certain amount of consistency (so long as its good :lol: ), or at least signs of improvement when we falter. Last year I didn't expect the players to play like they did at Wembley in the games in the run in for example, but this year I would expect us to keep up similar performance levels to the high standards set earlier in the season.

You've answered your own point, with this squad we should be comfortably aiming for playoffs and anything less will be a colossal underachievement. Clarke isn't exactly committed to his own rebuild as he's demonstrated in the last week and we would be best off getting someone else in asap.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Nov 2015 16:24

Hit commitment is shameful but it's a bit OTT to suggest Clarke has been woeful.

He's been alright. Inconsistent, bit baffling in his choices at times but somewhat promising and we aren't doing too badly.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Nov 2015 17:15

Watching Liverpool on Saturday night playing quick-passing, free-flowing football it was similar to how Rodgers had them playing 2 seasons ago.
After losing Suarez and Gerrard plus Sturridge becoming the new Darren Anderton Rodgers reverted to the stuff we were watching in his time with us, slow ponderous football designed to keep possession but with little happening at the other end of the pitch, i.e. a fear of losing.

Since the scintillating performance against Ipswich followed by very good performances over the next 4 or 5 games playing quick-passing, free-flowing football we have gradually got slower and slower culminating in Clarke trying to close out the game at home against the bottom club.
It nearly back-fired and if Bolton had equalised Clarke would have received severe criticism for his negativity.
Fortunately they didn't equalise and we got the full 3 points but I feel that Clarke is showing fear just as Rodgers did in his final games at Liverpool.
Italians historically were good at closing out games but IMHO we don't have the players to do that so as I see it there is more risk in trying to close out a game than going for another goal to put the game out of reach.

Surely losing Quinn isn't the only reason for our recent performances and style?
Hopefully we can get back quickly to the Ipswich type of performance but, like others have posted, I am uncertain that Clarke is brave enough to go for the wins that could see us challenging for promotion.
Maybe the hierarchy at the club feel the same way by not standing in his way when he wants to talk to another club.

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 23 Nov 2015 18:42

Newbie here. Only right to get that bit out of the way. Felt compelled to join and voice my feelings on the current situation created by the Manager. I agree with Country Royal. This can only end in one way, so sooner done the better.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Nov 2015 19:11

Biscuitman62 Newbie here. Only right to get that bit out of the way. Felt compelled to join and voice my feelings on the current situation created by the Manager. I agree with Country Royal. This can only end in one way, so sooner done the better.

See that. People are literally joining HNA? just to agree with me.

8)

#influential

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 23 Nov 2015 19:43

Wasn't the primary reason (just to agree with you) but your views on this subject are the same as my own, and I dare say a good few others both on this forum and who were at the game on Saturday. Thought there would have been a more anti- Clarke atmosphere than it turned out to be actually. Anybody else feel the same ?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Nov 2015 19:58

Biscuitman62 Wasn't the primary reason (just to agree with you) but your views on this subject are the same as my own, and I dare say a good few others both on this forum and who were at the game on Saturday. Thought there would have been a more anti- Clarke atmosphere than it turned out to be actually. Anybody else feel the same ?

Shhhh! you were onto a good thing. :lol:

Tbh you just need to look at this poll to gauge people's opinion on him.

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 23 Nov 2015 20:09

Yes, The time will come I guess.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 23 Nov 2015 20:30

Yes still unhappy with Clarke. No reason to alter the fact that he tried to mug us all off.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Nov 2015 20:51

Hampshire Royal The worst thing we could do is to sack the manager and then bring in someone else so that the whole rebuilding process has to start again. I honestly don't know whether we'll be top-six this season. Probably not, but I've got to believe that we will be.

A new manager would not have to mean starting over. We have a perfectly good squad and could get a new guy whose brief was to take what we have and work with it. Swansea seem to have turned over managers regularly without changing their whole squad or style of play each time.
And keeping a manager who has questions over his ability and willingness to complete what he has started is hardly better than getting a new man in with the right skills and attitude.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Nov 2015 20:57

We probably would have to rebuild the coaching staff though. Although there's every chance a new manager would want his own team in anyway.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Nov 2015 21:03

Five minute job to ring a couple of mates and ask if they fancy putting cones out and reffing 5 a sides.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Nov 2015 21:44

elrey Rodgers was hired by people who should have known what he was, a manager who wants to play passing football. If you hire the wrong person, who's fault is it?

Rodgers attempted to impose a formation/style of play on a squad that wasn't up to the job.

Brian stepped up to the mark. Reverted to a 4-4-2 formation and the rest is history.

Suarez and Sturridge papered over the lack of Rodgers tactical nounce.

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 23 Nov 2015 21:58

Would really just want him gone now. No point whatsoever imo keeping him in the hope we do something this season. (nothing guaranteed anyway) . As well as he could be off at any time should a job come up. More likely now than before as everybody knows he's game. Can't see any benefit keeping him.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Nov 2015 04:57

Nameless
Hampshire Royal The worst thing we could do is to sack the manager and then bring in someone else so that the whole rebuilding process has to start again. I honestly don't know whether we'll be top-six this season. Probably not, but I've got to believe that we will be.

A new manager would not have to mean starting over. We have a perfectly good squad and could get a new guy whose brief was to take what we have and work with it. Swansea seem to have turned over managers regularly without changing their whole squad or style of play each time.
And keeping a manager who has questions over his ability and willingness to complete what he has started is hardly better than getting a new man in with the right skills and attitude.

I have to say I agree with this one hundred percent. A manager and club doesn't always have to be on a long term path, and sometimes they shouldn't. With the right man in job and the right people from top to bottom then you can focus on consistency and building something together. Clarke isn't nor ever was, in my opinion, that man. We have an abundance of riches in our squad at the moment and big question marks as to whether we will be able to have anything half as competitive next year. All we need is a manager to come in that lets the players play, he doesn't need to be a visionary, he doesn't need to be anything in particular, he just need to be not Steve Clarke :lol:
I genuinely think we'd get better results without a manager, at least in the short term.

Biscuitman62 Would really just want him gone now. No point whatsoever imo keeping him in the hope we do something this season. (nothing guaranteed anyway) . As well as he could be off at any time should a job come up. More likely now than before as everybody knows he's game. Can't see any benefit keeping him.

£££. He's contracted so we would have to pay him compensation, which I have a feeling is why the board weren't too against him oxf*rd off to fulham and letting them do it.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Nov 2015 09:53

Biscuitman62 Would really just want him gone now. No point whatsoever imo keeping him in the hope we do something this season. (nothing guaranteed anyway) . As well as he could be off at any time should a job come up. More likely now than before as everybody knows he's game. Can't see any benefit keeping him.

Can you not see that every manager is the same?

Start again with a new manager and the cycle begins again. If they are any good then someone will, at some stage, enquire about their availability.

I'm not a big fan of Clarke as it happens but that spell of 6 or 7 games when we were excellent shows that he's onto something. Not only did we have more shots than anyone else in the league we also conceded fewer than anyone else and it's only because we had a shockingly out of form goalkeeper that we weren't top 2 after at spell. Same reason we didn't defeat a good PL team in the League Cup...

Downturn seems to coincide with key injuries. Yes it's his SQUAD and perhaps we are short of defensive minded midfielders but there is good reason to think we will still challenge for auto-promotion come the end of the season once the blip in form (which every team has at some stage) is behind us. I'm hoping it's a blip but the evidence of shots above suggests to me that is what it is...

Forget loyalty, it's all bollocks. He got his squad together and played some terrific football at both ends of the park. An 8 game downturn is nothing. Get behind the bloody team (which includes the manager) and stop moaning.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 24 Nov 2015 10:03

Royal Rother

it's only because we had a shockingly out of form goalkeeper that we weren't top 2 after at spell.

An 8 game downturn is nothing. Get behind the bloody team (which includes the manager) and stop moaning.

mostly agreed, but two points of order:

a. we were top two after the Charlton game
b. 8 game downturn? We went five without a win in the League (drew three, lost two).

OTOH, and even though I am an RTG, some of the OTT positive stuff during our excellent spell was as short-sighted as the recent negative stuff on here.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Nov 2015 13:05

Every manager is most definitely not the same.

436 posts