Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

5739 posts
6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by 6ft Kerplunk » 22 Jun 2015 15:53

Are Parma the ones that had hundreds of players signed up?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jun 2015 19:52

They had about 70 players out on loan this season but it's not that uncommon for Serie A sides to have dozens of youth players loaned out to Serie C2 clubs. I think a lot of Parma's players were co-owned with other clubs so it's a gamble trying to cash in on potential stars

i read somewhere that last summer, they were involved in 300 transactions involving a total of £5.5m

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 23 Jun 2015 11:09

From Despair To Where? i read somewhere that last summer, they were involved in 300 transactions involving a total of £5.5m

Harry Redknapp Do they need a manager?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jun 2015 11:19

That's £5.5m not £5.5b so Redknapp's out of the question

And the sign said, "wobbly jowlled, twitchy people need not apply"

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 23 Jun 2015 16:58

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jun 2015 13:06

I see UEFA's FFP could be under threat, although I suspect their latest change won't actually be confirmed at their next meeting given the apparent improved situation amongst many clubs...

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/worl ... uro-courts

UEFA defends FFP after Belgian judge refers it to Euro courts

Published on Wednesday, 24 June 2015 10:33

June 24 - UEFA last night issued a defiant statement shrugging off a preliminary decision from a Belgian court that ruled against further restrictions in its Financial Fair Play regulations.

Following a challenge led by the famous 'Bosman' lawyer, Jean-Louis Dupont, and brought by the player agent Daniel Striani, the Brussels court referred legal consideration of FFP to the European Court of Justice on Tuesday.

Dupont's claim is that UEFA's FFP framework is anticompetitive and that it offends European law governing monopolies. The initial decision of the court yesterday is being viewed as a victory for FFP's detractors.

While referring the case to the ECJ for its consideration of the specific points of European law, the Brussels court ordered UEFA not to reduce the "break-even" limits to its FFP rules from €45 million to €30 million, which had been scheduled in time for next season.

UEFA immediately announced its intention to appeal the ruling and effectively declared it will not change course. "UEFA will appeal this decision of the Brussels Court to the Court of Appeal," it said in a statement.

"Since an appeal automatically suspends the ruling of the lower court, it means that UEFA can proceed with the next phase of implementation of FFP, as already planned and as supported by the vast majority of stakeholders in European football as well as the European Commission, European Parliament and Council of Europe.

"UEFA remains fully confident that FFP is entirely in line with EU law, and that the European Court will in due course simply confirm this to be the case."

As recently signalled by its president, Michel Platini, UEFA will in any case consider amendments to the FFP rules at its executive committee meeting in Prague next week.

"UEFA is, in addition, considering further adjustments to the FFP rules in light of the substantially improved position in European football club finance which has been brought about directly as a result of the implementation of FFP."

Dupont and Striani had initially taken the case to the European Commission alongside the Brussels court, although the EC declined to take it up, leaving the lower court to consider it.

It is not the first time Dupont has ruffled the feathers of the football authorities. It was his action on behalf of the then little-known Belgian player Jean-Marc Bosman 20 years ago that led to the landmark ruling allowing footballers freedom of movement upon the expiry of their playing contracts.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 01 Jul 2015 19:09

PSG have FFP restrictions lifted

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 01 Dec 2015 09:08

Bolton failed to pay their players last week. £170m in debt, most of which is owed to the owner Phil Gartside who's reportedly terminally ill. So they'll soon be at the mercy of his estate.

They are screwed basically. Debts mounted up on a policy of signing loads of expensive loan players and has beens on short term contracts to chase/keep PL cash.

Anyone think of another club operating like that...?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 01 Dec 2015 09:56

Tony Le Mesmer £170m in debt, most of which is owed to the owner Phil Gartside who's reportedly terminally ill. So they'll soon be at the mercy of his estate.

The majority of their debt is to Eddie Davies who is the owner of Bolton. Gartside was the appointed chairman for years but recently left that role due to his illness.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Dec 2015 10:01

Tony Le Mesmer Bolton failed to pay their players last week. £170m in debt, most of which is owed to the owner Phil Gartside who's reportedly terminally ill. So they'll soon be at the mercy of his estate.

They are screwed basically. Debts mounted up on a policy of signing loads of expensive loan players and has beens on short term contracts to chase/keep PL cash.

Gartside isn't the owner but was the chairman/chief executive for many many years.

This debt has been building since the Big Sam days. His so called "miracle " was nothing of the sort. They never addressed the problem of rising debts back and then dropped out of the top flight just when top flight clubs started to generally show a profit.

If you're suggesting there's a parallel between them and us, I'd that's pretty wide of the mark to be honest.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 01 Dec 2015 10:32

Vision
Tony Le Mesmer Bolton failed to pay their players last week. £170m in debt, most of which is owed to the owner Phil Gartside who's reportedly terminally ill. So they'll soon be at the mercy of his estate.

Gartside isn't the owner but was the chairman/chief executive for many many years.

This debt has been building since the Big Sam days. His so called "miracle " was nothing of the sort. They never addressed the problem of rising debts back and then dropped out of the top flight just when top flight clubs started to generally show a profit.

If you're suggesting there's a parallel between them and us, I'd that's pretty wide of the mark to be honest.

I Stand corrected on the ownership. But i'm very much suggesting there are parallels. Reading's owners are throwing money at short term signings with a short term view. The Bolton model. it will all end in tears and personally, i think it would be very naïve to pretend that it wont. it more a question of when rather than if.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Dec 2015 11:00

Tony Le Mesmer
Vision

I Stand corrected on the ownership. But i'm very much suggesting there are parallels. Reading's owners are throwing money at short term signings with a short term view. The Bolton model. it will all end in tears and personally, i think it would be very naïve to pretend that it wont. it more a question of when rather than if.

As stated, Bolton's debt was built up by more than a decade of overspending on wages to secure Premier League survival each season with very little focus on improving infrastructure (Academy etc). Gartside was the figurehead behind the Premiership 1 and 2 idea because he knew full well what shit they would be in if they slipped out of the top flight.

All that's happened here is that new owners have invested in more short term players than usual for one transfer window because it's probably a season too early for our current academy players to be a Top 10/Play Off Team.. Even that money is partially offset by the sale of (another Academy product) Hector.

We'll be losing money this season for sure, as do the vast majority of Championship clubs and I'd be concerned if it turned out to be a long term policy of the owners. I can't see that being the case given our focus on the Academy and it will still be some time before we get anywhere near Bolton's level.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 01 Dec 2015 13:41

Shit! I knew they owed him the money, but his being taken ill like that is a shocker, and the worst possible news to Bolton fans. Their turn in the third division soon then!

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 03 Dec 2015 09:53

Bolton could go into admin as early as next week if a buyer isn't found. Holdsworth apparently behind a move to buy them and it's picking up pace. Admin now = 12 points deduction.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 03 Dec 2015 10:04

they are only on 12 points. would be lolz to see them on zero.

If that happened it would give them 28 games to get roughly 50 points for survival. 1.785 points per game.

A team getting 1.785 points per game over a season would end up on 82 points which is enough for a play off spot most seasons. can't see Bolton starting to put in consistent performances matching that of a top 6 team from now until then

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 03 Dec 2015 12:05

Jeremy Wilson Verified account ‏@JWTelegraph

How QPR owners gave quarter of a billion £ to the club...and they are 12 places lower than when they started in 2011 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... or-it.html

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 03 Dec 2015 12:10

Winston Smith they are only on 12 points. would be lolz to see them on zero.

If that happened it would give them 28 games to get roughly 50 points for survival. 1.785 points per game.

A team getting 1.785 points per game over a season would end up on 82 points which is enough for a play off spot most seasons. can't see Bolton starting to put in consistent performances matching that of a top 6 team from now until then

Even without a deduction they are well and truly up shit creek this season. The owners family already organising their inheritance in-waiting.. hands out ready. That was always going to happen though! You owe that much to one man.. Just wish it would happen to Chelsea...

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 03 Dec 2015 12:48

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 03 Dec 2015 13:16

One8Seven1*
Winston Smith they are only on 12 points. would be lolz to see them on zero.

Even without a deduction they are well and truly up shit creek this season. The owners family already organising their inheritance in-waiting.. hands out ready. That was always going to happen though! You owe that much to one man.. Just wish it would happen to Chelsea...

Have you not read this page? The owner is not ill, the chairman is.

In fact, the owner is prepared to write off his debts http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/140 ... vor_Birch/ in the event of a sale

It's just that he seems to have shut his wallet. And no-one wants to buy them.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 03 Dec 2015 14:17

I read some tweets from a journo saying the family were getting his finances in order inreadiness for his death. Then talk of going into admin, I assumed it was the chap they owe the £172m to. Either way, admin is admin, and with their incredible debts, it's about time it caught with them.

5739 posts