Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Welcome back Brian

by bobby1413 » 10 Dec 2015 08:53

CholseyRoyal Seen on Twitter:-

@JinKhangura: @charles_watts I have heard that McDermott has been offered the post but wants time to think about it! Garcia in for me please!

If true, I guess Brian isn't too keen on taking on the job. Once bitten twice shy perhaps.

That's a load of bollocks

Why does "wanting to have a think" mean he "isn't too keen on taking a job"?

It's a big and important decision and maybe he needs to discuss with family, or sort out logistics, or just give himself some time to get things straight in his head before it goes formally public.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 10 Dec 2015 09:09

LOL heard that this isn't happening as McD is worried he will be unemployed again in a years time

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 10 Dec 2015 09:15

Shambles #readingfc

pwb

Re: Welcome back Brian?

by pwb » 10 Dec 2015 09:24

Lots of egg on peoples faces this morning :lol:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 10 Dec 2015 09:30

I don't get it...

Why is there egg on peoples faces and why the big cock up?

It's not been announced that BMcD DOES NOT want the job has it? Just no news... it could just be behind the scenes ironing out the issues, or just sorting paperwork, or just waiting to publically announce.

Or have I missed something?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 10 Dec 2015 09:31

Zammo Shambles #readingfc

:?: They haven't said a word.

Blame social media, 24 hr news culture and local journos.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 10 Dec 2015 09:32

Have to say, after talking myself into wanting Brian back over the past few days, I'm going to end up being fairly miffed if we end up bringing in another manager who has no affinity with the club, sees it as a stepping stone, and champions dull sideways football. I.e. Oscar Garcia.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 10 Dec 2015 09:35

This is all hair-trigger Watts' fault isn't it?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 10 Dec 2015 09:38

Charles Watts ‏@charles_watts · 1h1 hour ago
Reverse lights on at #readingfc. Kuhl now very likely to be in charge of the team on Saturday. Quite a change from yesterday morning.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Dec 2015 09:44

paultheroyal Has poor Charles Watts had a nightmare here?

Not necessarily, a lot of articles are pre-written to be posted when and IF the event occurs to ensure sites are turning news items over as quickly as possible. In this case it could just be an error with someone posting up a wrong page. It's happened on websites before and it'll happen again.

So looks like a 3 headed contest; Bergkamp v McDermott v Garcia

The club presumably are concluding interviews today and will decide over the weekend, so no news then until Monday when I would expect a press conference so that Brian, sorry new bloke, is in charge in time for the Hull travesty.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 10 Dec 2015 09:44

Platypuss

Agree 100032%

Lacoste Charles Watts ‏@charles_watts · 1h1 hour ago
Reverse lights on at #readingfc. Kuhl now very likely to be in charge of the team on Saturday. Quite a change from yesterday morning.

This is pishing me off now. Charles Watts saying "Reverse lights on... quite a change"... and as PlatyPuss said, it's also due to 24hr news culture.

People thinking the more you tweet and post online the quicker the information will come through.

WHERE has it been announced officially that "reverse lights" are on... that the talks have fallen through. It hasn't. The club may have (for all we know) agreed the deal and Brian is just organising things his end, or has asked for some breathing space and for it to be announced in a day or two. Or whatever.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 10 Dec 2015 09:45

Platypuss

Blame Hob Nob. WELCOME BACK BRIAN FFS.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 10 Dec 2015 09:50

Reverse lights = a wattsmare

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 10 Dec 2015 09:51

bobby1413
CholseyRoyal Seen on Twitter:-

@JinKhangura: @charles_watts I have heard that McDermott has been offered the post but wants time to think about it! Garcia in for me please!

If true, I guess Brian isn't too keen on taking on the job. Once bitten twice shy perhaps.

That's a load of bollocks

Why does "wanting to have a think" mean he "isn't too keen on taking a job"?

It's a big and important decision and maybe he needs to discuss with family, or sort out logistics, or just give himself some time to get things straight in his head before it goes formally public.

I agree there could me many reasons, but I should have thought if he were really keen on the job he would have sorted the family side out before agreeing to be interviewed. He must have doubts about something that was talked about be it back room staff, funding or maybe he wouldn't be in total control of the players. Who knows but odd that Charles was so confident he would take the job yesterday morning now someone is back tracking.

DangerousDogNonce

by DangerousDogNonce » 10 Dec 2015 09:57

Charles Watts

@McDermolenko At the time of writing mate, it was. Not just me reporting that either. BBC, Sky all went with it - something changed.

9:27am · 10 Dec 2015

@McDermolenko Welcome to the new Reading Football Club mate. So many people trying to make one decision.

9:33am · 10 Dec 2015 ·

@McDermolenko Don't get your hopes up, we've already been told it's going to purely be about the Preston match only.

(RE question about today's pre match press conference)

9:36am · 10 Dec 2015 ·

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 10 Dec 2015 09:58

RFC hasn't announced anything, so it's not their fault the local media got carried away with the news regarding Brian.
Ady Williams said earlier on Berks Radio this morning that nobody seems to know what's going on. In fact (update), he's just said that Garcia is being tipped for the job as well. I hope it's someone like Garcia as Brian is a backwards step. Some fans seem to be forgetting that the football under Brian was rather dull and there were quite a few games that we didn't deserve to win but ended up scraping the 1-0, for example, more times than not in the Championship. It was my least favourite side and squad when he was manager, as well as the football played, despite the success he achieved at Reading. Nice guy, but I don't want him back as manager. I can't see him getting the best out of the (talented) squad of players that are currently at Reading, and I wouldn't be surprised that a few of the bigger names there, will not fancy playing for him if he's installed as the next RFC manager. Hoof-ball and the likes of Guthrie anyone? A big "No thanks!"

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 10 Dec 2015 10:01

CholseyRoyal I agree there could me many reasons, but I should have thought if he were really keen on the job he would have sorted the family side out before agreeing to be interviewed. He must have doubts about something that was talked about be it back room staff, funding or maybe he wouldn't be in total control of the players. Who knows but odd that Charles was so confident he would take the job yesterday morning now someone is back tracking.

WHO IS BACK TRACKING?????!!!

Nothing has happened other than someone announcing through the media that BMcD is in line to take over. Nothing has changed has it? The only new announcement is that Kuhl will be managing on Saturday... that doesn't change a thing. Maybe they want the new manager (aka Brian) to have his first game at home? Or just want to not rush things.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Dec 2015 10:02

Madstad to Nadderud RFC hasn't announced anything, so it's not their fault the local media got carried away with the news regarding Brian.

To be fair to the likes of Watts, Dellor and Williams (and I don't say that easliy) they're constantly in touch with the club and their contacts. They don't just make that kind of shit up, it's what they're briefed.

The club might not've said anything officially but if all the media are running with the story then you can bet the club, or at least their contacts within it, thought it was pretty much a done deal.

This is all the fault of instant news and all of the media guys wanting to get the news and gossip out quickest.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Dec 2015 10:02

There is no 'must', you are just guessing.
There could be loads of reasons why things are not going as Watts thought/guessed they would.
McD has a contract with Arsenal, who had a crucial CL league game so it could be details needed sorting that end that couldn't be.
It could be about releasing some of our current back room staff, or appointing new ones.
It could be that McD wants a three year contract and he's been offered a rolling 12 month deal.
It could be he wants some of the loans terminated so he can have freedom to make changes and wants that confirmed.
It could be we've not actually offered him the job yet !

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Dec 2015 10:07

Probably needs to be approved by some people back in Thailand who have never heard of Brian McDermott and although Brian is in a scouting role at Arsenal, he will probably feel some loyalty to them and want to do a proper handover rather than just walk out the door, plus there may be some compensation due (although I imagine Arsenal won't stand in his way or let that be a blocker).

In a way, it's good that the club are not rushing to announce a new manager - Remember it took many weeks before we appointed Coppell.

Having said that, who knows what's going on behind closed doors.

1226 posts