Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Welcome back Brian?

by bobby1413 » 10 Dec 2015 11:09

tidus_mi2
Nameless
tidus_mi2 Technically speaking, McDermott is a foreign manager right? He's Irish, Ireland aren't part of the UK.

Technically speaking he's English.
Having Irish parents might mean you qualify to play football for Ireland but that's not the same as being Irish.

He has Irish parents so he's Irish. How does Irish + Irish = English? I get that there is the whole picking your nationality based on either birthplace or lineage but Brian has definitely in the past said he would love to manage Ireland, he's never said the same for England, that would suggest to me he believes he is Irish.

My Mum and Dad were both born and raised in Northern Ireland but I don't consider myself to be Northern Irish by any means.

I was born in England

I call myself "British"

DangerousDogNonce

by DangerousDogNonce » 10 Dec 2015 11:11

bobby1413
tidus_mi2 He has Irish parents so he's Irish. How does Irish + Irish = English? I get that there is the whole picking your nationality based on either birthplace or lineage but Brian has definitely in the past said he would love to manage Ireland, he's never said the same for England, that would suggest to me he believes he is Irish.

My Mum and Dad were both born and raised in Northern Ireland but I don't consider myself to be Northern Irish by any means.

I was born in England

I call myself "British"

Well you're just lying to yourself.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 10 Dec 2015 11:12

yeah, lets have three pages on where Brian is from :roll:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Dec 2015 11:16

I don't want to sound melodramatic . . . . . but if Brian isn't our new manager I not sure i could bring myself to go to the mad stad ever again. . . . . . and I have a season ticket.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Dec 2015 11:17

Lots of over-analysis here. Let's stop putting the boot in to the usually reliable CW and see what actually happens. If something changed after the club indicated it was practically a done deal, there's not a lot Charles can do about that.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 10 Dec 2015 11:25

genome Lots of over-analysis here. Let's stop putting the boot in to the usually reliable CW and see what actually happens. If something changed after the club indicated it was practically a done deal, there's not a lot Charles can do about that.

Agree and it didn't help that yesterday was Charle's day off so he wasn't in touch with the Club as much as usual.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 10 Dec 2015 11:26

DangerousDogNonce but both his parents are Irish. Irish blood + Irish blood does not = English blood.

You can be born in Venezuela and still be English, same way you can be born in Slough and still be Irish.

exactly. if a cow is born in a stable does it make it a horse?

JIM

by JIM » 10 Dec 2015 11:28

hooray hes not coming :D :D :D :D

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 10 Dec 2015 11:41

CW said yesterday that a club source all but confirmed McD was a done deal, so his sources aren't questionable, something has just changed. It could be BM can't have the backroom staff he wants, it may even be he isn't getting the assurances he wants about finance or his future.

Did we ever find out where Garcia was flying to?

FWIW - I was born in Reading, had an Irish mother, English father. I class myself as Irish. It's the side I feel closest to. My choice.
Last edited by Coppelled_Streets on 10 Dec 2015 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Dec 2015 11:49

Coppelled_Streets FWIW - I was born in Reading, had an Irish mother, English father. I class myself as Irish. It's the side I feel closest to. My choice.

What passport(s) do you hold?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Dec 2015 11:49

semtex1871
DangerousDogNonce but both his parents are Irish. Irish blood + Irish blood does not = English blood.

You can be born in Venezuela and still be English, same way you can be born in Slough and still be Irish.

exactly. if a cow is born in a stable does it make it a horse?

My elder daughter was born in Germany and my younger daughter in Norway. Both are British (English). The younger one had dual nationality rights until she was 18. As the older one was born in a British Military Hospital she didn't have dual nationality.

Oh, and I was born in the same BMH and I am also British (English).

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 10 Dec 2015 11:52

Green
Coppelled_Streets FWIW - I was born in Reading, had an Irish mother, English father. I class myself as Irish. It's the side I feel closest to. My choice.

And where did you study for your Bachelor Degree?

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 10 Dec 2015 12:00

Lacoste wrote:
yeah, lets have three pages on where Brian is from :roll:

+1. Amazing how people can digress with time on their hands. A thread entitled 'Welcome back Brian' suddenly evolves into a dissertation on the merits of dual nationalities.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Dec 2015 12:06

Coppelled_Streets CW said yesterday that a club source all but confirmed McD was a done deal, so his sources are questionable

Or perhaps, his sources are fine and told him the correct information at the time, and circumstances changed later on.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Dec 2015 12:10

....sorry to keep harping-on but, at about 8 pm last night GetReading headlined that BM had been unveiled as our new manager.....unveiled as in " confirmed"

At least a few of us read and believed it...........still no explaination or apology forthcoming from GR.
Shoddy
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 10 Dec 2015 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 10 Dec 2015 12:10

genome
Coppelled_Streets CW said yesterday that a club source all but confirmed McD was a done deal, so his sources are questionable

Or perhaps, his sources are fine and told him the correct information at the time, and circumstances changed later on.

Circumstances can always change. Maybe a lesson for CW to be a tad more circumspect in future.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 10 Dec 2015 12:11

genome

I missed out the 'not'. His sources are reliable, they're club sources, so they don't come much better. Something just changed. It happens.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 10 Dec 2015 12:13

Green

UK, ROI.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Dec 2015 12:15

Or, perhaps it's a lesson for people to not take all but confirmed as anything more than it's really close to happening.

It's not like we haven't seen how a done deal can go tits up at the last moment is it?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Dec 2015 12:15

AthleticoSpizz ....sorry to keep harping-on but, at about 8 pm last night GetReading headlined that BM had been unveiled as our new manager.....unveiled as in " confirmed"

At least a few of us read and believed it...........still no explaination or apology forthcoming from GR.
Shoddy

Did you rush out and get a welcome back Brian full back tattoo?

Otherwise I really can't see why you need an apology

1226 posts