Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Welcome back Brian?

by John Smith » 10 Dec 2015 12:45

Coppelled_Streets
John Smith This is bollocks, what's going on? We're embarassing ourselves here.

How are we? The media far and wide ran with McD returning here yesterday. That isn't RFC embarrassing themselves is it?! The club is rightfully taking its time to get this appointment right. McD was 'probably' the first choice, with a helping hand from SJM.. If we do have a short-list of three, then we'll talk to the others.

Because to the outside world we are yo-yoing between managerial decisions, first Clarke is he staying or going and now McDermott coming or not. It just looks a little bit unclassy and unprofessional.

DangerousDogNonce

by DangerousDogNonce » 10 Dec 2015 12:45

If Sky were so confident in there being 3 candidates, one being Brian and two of which foreign, with a decision to be made after Saturday - why have they not put their betting market back up with those three individuals as clear favourites?

Seems to me that every reporter is throwing shxt at a wall and hoping something will stick

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Dec 2015 12:47

Madstad to Nadderud
Rollerbob Is it just me who has my fingers crossed for a more exciting appointment than Brian McD?

No, you're not the only one! I can't go through another season of seeing the ball in the air more often than not and comments of, "We move on" if the wins aren't coming. Didn't some of the players complain about neck ache during his time as manager?

No, they didn't

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Dec 2015 12:48

Madstad to Nadderud
Rollerbob Is it just me who has my fingers crossed for a more exciting appointment than Brian McD?

No, you're not the only one! I can't go through another 3 seasons of rescue from relegation, mammoth unbeaten runs, a play off final, winning the league and twatting allcomers including West Ham and Southampton away and comments of, "We move on" if the wins aren't coming. Didn't some of the players complain about actually fcuking winning something for the first and only times in their careers during his time as manager?

+1

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Dec 2015 12:54

Silver Fox
Madstad to Nadderud

No, you're not the only one! I can't go through another season of seeing the ball in the air more often than not and comments of, "We move on" if the wins aren't coming. Didn't some of the players complain about neck ache during his time as manager?

No, they didn't

I think he's probably referring to Andy Griffin's comments about getting a Championship winning medal.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 10 Dec 2015 12:56

Madstad to Nadderud

No they didn't. :| It wasn't so much a long ball game either. It was fast paced direct football, usually out to the wings. I'd love more of that! The only problem was we couldn't play so open in the Premiership and Brian didn't have a Plan B. Occasionally great to watch, but we were always going to be exposed at the back for it! As for the players making comments like that - what a load of cack! The players were very close to the manager. Just look at the recent comments from the likes of Kitson, Leigertwood and Noel Hunt!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Dec 2015 12:59

LOL @ complaining about the successful style of football which gave us a thrilling Championship win in 2011/12 as if the Coppell 106 team played Tikka-Takka every week :lol:

DangerousDogNonce

by DangerousDogNonce » 10 Dec 2015 13:00

Just spoke to someone at Betfair and they are planning to reopen their betting market with these surprising new odds:

McDermott 4/9
Poyet 3/1
Garcia out at 8/1
Others in between 4/1 & 5/1 stretching to 50/1

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Welcome back Brian

by Millsy » 10 Dec 2015 13:02

Nameless
Gunny Fishcake Of course we'll get behind him ( if it happens ) but I can't help feeling unexcited about this, guess we really are just a little club as we've always known and probably always will be

If challenged you'd be hard put to justify that.

I will.

I don't know about being a perpetual little club, but I can certainly justify feeling unexcited about Brian's return as it was my instinctive reaction. Simply because we all imagine a manager who will come in, bring something new and exciting, get us playing like Brazil, take us to the Prem and keep us there for years. With Brian, although he has taken us up before, he's still just Brian who took us up before and didn't do amazingly well when up (in tough circumstances, granted).

So it's a mismatch between our fantasy and the reality. Our pipe dream of wanting some miracle man to come in versus what we've already had. So of course the instinct is to feel "oh.. Brian. Yeah he's good I guess". Compared to mr Big Name who is unknown to us and exciting.

Of course just a moment's reflection and this instinct has given way to genuine delight. Not only for poor Brian who a significant proportion of us thought should never have been sacked in the first place. But for our chances of getting us back. This man is seemingly loyal, well known to us, has a phenomenal record not just in this division but with us specifically and I can't think of anyone except Coppell who would give me as much confidence.

Yes he didn't do so well in the PL but we now know as fact, despite the clamouring of the apologists (who still dare to post shamelessly on HNA!) that things were seriously wrong at the club so he's still an unknown in the PL with a more settled club and better resources (I.e. Not being forced to sell best players is a start!). My only issue is the football was a little direct and obvious and looked better under Adkins and Clarke possibly, but Brian did what he could with the team he had. And actually did a lot better.

The more I think about it I can't think of anyone else other than Coppell I'd rather have.

Can't wait!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2015 13:04

Hoop Blah Or, perhaps it's a lesson for people to not take all but confirmed as anything more than it's really close to happening.

It's not like we haven't seen how a done deal can go tits up at the last moment is it?

Spot on.

There are going to be limited numbers of people involved in the decision making process and loads periferal to it.

Those making the decisions are unlikely to tip anyone off, but the periferals will have a good idea what's going on. They will sometimes Misinterpret or over state something.

Clearly that's what's happened. You don't get this sort of done deal talk from normally reliable people like Watts... but it's a lesson to all the flids who think that someone in the press saying something is confirmed is as good as the club saying it or the press directly quoting a club official with the clout to make / release the news.

Charles Watts can't confirm dick happening at the club. He can break news that proves correct, but the only people who can confirm anything are the club. Something that everyone should, but not all do, understand.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Dec 2015 13:07

The Cap
Lacoste wrote:
yeah, lets have three pages on where Brian is from :roll:

+1. Amazing how people can digress with time on their hands. A thread entitled 'Welcome back Brian' suddenly evolves into a dissertation on the merits of dual nationalities.

You must be new around here.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Dec 2015 13:09

Coppelled_Streets
Green
Coppelled_Streets FWIW - I was born in Reading, had an Irish mother, English father. I class myself as Irish. It's the side I feel closest to. My choice.

What passport(s) do you hold?

UK, ROI.

Why bother having both? Any EU passport is much the same as another these days isn't it?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Dec 2015 13:12

genome Why does it matter anyway?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 10 Dec 2015 13:21

Ian Royal
Hoop Blah Or, perhaps it's a lesson for people to not take all but confirmed as anything more than it's really close to happening.

It's not like we haven't seen how a done deal can go tits up at the last moment is it?

Spot on.

There are going to be limited numbers of people involved in the decision making process and loads periferal to it.

Those making the decisions are unlikely to tip anyone off, but the periferals will have a good idea what's going on. They will sometimes Misinterpret or over state something.

Clearly that's what's happened. You don't get this sort of done deal talk from normally reliable people like Watts... but it's a lesson to all the flids who think that someone in the press saying something is confirmed is as good as the club saying it or the press directly quoting a club official with the clout to make / release the news.

Charles Watts can't confirm dick happening at the club. He can break news that proves correct, but the only people who can confirm anything are the club. Something that everyone should, but not all do, understand.

I agree... although I was in the camp who jumped to assuming it was all done and dusted.

HOWEVER... I do think that if a Newspaper and Journalist who is a RFC sports reporter "prints" the sort of things they did then I think they have misled people, not saying they did it intentionally, but they did.

GetReading posted articles with the headlines:

"Brian McDermott to Reading FC: Former boss set to seal remarkable return to Madejski Stadium"

"Brian McDermott set to be named new Reading FC boss"

"Reading FC: Brian McDermott’s top five moments: We look back at Brian McDermott's five best moments last time he was in charge of Reading FC."

To me that implies that it's a done deal, just waiting for confirmation and the formal unveiling. Some may disagree with me, and maybe I am naieve in thinking that. However, work colleagues, many of whom not massive football fans and not Reading fans asked me about it - all in the belief that BM was coming back.

Who knows - he may still be coming back?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Dec 2015 13:22

Ian Royal

Spot on.

"flid"

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Dec 2015 13:25

Bobby....read back a page or three, GetReading published one headline which was a bit more misleading than your quotes.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 10 Dec 2015 13:33

It is so obviously going to be Brian.

Relax people.

Oh, and take some oxygen, topflight.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 10 Dec 2015 13:34

Dave-royal stole it all.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 10 Dec 2015 13:34

AthleticoSpizz Bobby....read back a page or three, GetReading published one headline which was a bit more misleading than your quotes.

Ah yea - I knew there was better examples but couldn't find them at the time!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 10 Dec 2015 13:50

Someone called Megan Fisher uploaded an article last night on GR saying the club had announced his return as manager.

Clearly that had been prepared in advance & they accidentally hit post.

Lol at people moaning on here that the club are being unprofessional....it's been 6 days since Clarke was booted & they've not said a thing other than the search is underway for a replacement.

The club have done absolutely nothing wrong & have given fans no reason whatsoever to speculate one way or the other. This whole stupid frenzy has been created by the media and the media alone.

Chill out.

1226 posts