Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Welcome back Brian?

by Hoop Blah » 13 Dec 2015 20:56

Man Friday Lowest wages and given £2.5 for PL. No wonder we struggled. It's not rocket science. The bloke at Bayern Munich couldn't have kept us up. It's a miracle we amassed so many points. All credit to Brian for that.

We didn't have the lowest wages and we didn't spend just £2.5m on new players though. It's not rocket science.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Dec 2015 21:43

Hoop Blah
Man Friday Lowest wages and given £2.5 for PL. No wonder we struggled. It's not rocket science. The bloke at Bayern Munich couldn't have kept us up. It's a miracle we amassed so many points. All credit to Brian for that.

We didn't have the lowest wages and we didn't spend just £2.5m on new players though. It's not rocket science.

Give up, you can't beat the narrative people like Man Friday want to believe by posting things based on a bit of actual evidence.

As far as they're concerned McDermott never had any financial support, always worked to a shoe string and could do no wrong. You'll never change their mind. If it was going to happen, it would have already been done in the last four years.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 13 Dec 2015 22:04

MmmMonsterMunch 5) MYSELF, MAN FRIDAY, COUNTRY ROYAL, LACOSTE AMONGST OTHERS ARE SICK TO DEATH OF THIS FOOL SPAMMING THE TEAM BOARD.

If he's pissing off either of them he has my vote to be reinstated immediately.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 13 Dec 2015 22:44

RoyalBlue What was Brian's failing that ultimately led to his sacking? He didn't and couldn't (maybe lack of investment had something to do with that but again in the latter days he didn't use the money he did have well) build a team capable of keeping possesion.

If you can't keep the ball for decent spells at a time in the PL you will get punished and you will get relegated as we saw. It doesn't matter what style of football you play, as long as you can keep hold of the ball when you get it, create a few chances and convert them. Whilst you have the ball the opposition can't score (unless you do it for them!)

I'd still like to see Pearson as our manager but doubt that the club would take a character like him i.e. prickly, not particularly worried about PR and definitely not a yes man!

Blaming McDermott for not building a team capable of staying in the PL is a bit like blaming the local Harvester for not serving you michelin star quality food. He managed to take a bunch of technically limited players and a use the confidence of a new owner a one 'star' player to win one of the toughest leagues in the world. I predict it will be the last time that a team without significant funding will do that again for many years. Most of the players he bought in were better than the money he spent, however in order to stay in the PL he would have needed a 100% success rate with the additions and a lot of luck, and that was just asking too much.

The season that Reading spends 20m on transfers and doesn't get promoted is the one that I will blame the manager. Until then they are doing the best they can with limited resources.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Dec 2015 10:16

Elm Park Kid The season that Reading spends 20m on transfers and doesn't get promoted is the one that I will blame the manager. Until then they are doing the best they can with limited resources.

What a ridiculous comment.

We've consistently been one of the top spenders in the division for the last 10 years and whatever resources we throw at it a manager can still being doing a good or bad job.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Dec 2015 10:18

Elm Park I predict it will be the last time that a team without significant funding will do that again for many years

Didn't Burnley do it two years later?

Moonfish

by Moonfish » 14 Dec 2015 10:21

The reason placing someone like Dave Royal on ignore doesn't work is because not only do people keep quoting his posts, but his very presence keeps diverting threads off topic, like the last three bloody pages of this one!

Now even I'm bloody doing it, and I believe I know who the annoying little scrote is (well 99.5% sure as it wasn't hard to work out once he slipped up).

Anyway, bringing this back on topic, I hope all can be resolved and Brian is appointed shortly, as whilst he's inheriting what should be a more than capable squad, it would be great for him to have a few weeks looking at the team before the January transfer window opens.

That said I wonder if he'll have much to spend? No doubt we've most likely been spunking money left right and centre over managerial hirings/firings recently so that may influence what sort of transfer kitty we have left. Fingers crossed the board treat that all as truly exceptional and separate to any transfer funding, leaving sufficient backing in place for at least one or two new faces to patch up the team as it stands.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 14 Dec 2015 10:46

Also on topic, yer hopefully all this can be sorted soon and Brian will be back where he belongs. Off topic Dave royal gives me a laugh if nothing else, he also serves a purpose because if he wasn't here you would have no one to pick on or moan about. It would just be someone else. So I would like to thank Dave royal whoever you are for taking the flack that others might get instead. :D

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Dec 2015 12:33

No sure if it's Brian I'm warming to the more I think about it, but having a team setup where we know who will be starting each week with a style that's "we'll play our way, it's your job to try to stop us", does sound appealing.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 14 Dec 2015 12:38

Betfair have Di Canio as 1/100 favourite. Surely that's wrong?

Do we think that maybe Brian isn't as nailed on as we thought?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Dec 2015 12:51

Lacoste Betfair have Di Canio as 1/100 favourite. Surely that's wrong?

Hoping that's a typo and they mean 100/1

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Dec 2015 12:54

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 14 Dec 2015 14:16

maffff No sure if it's Brian I'm warming to the more I think about it, but having a team setup where we know who will be starting each week with a style that's "we'll play our way, it's your job to try to stop us", does sound appealing.

Good point. Both Adkins and Clarke were guilty of making changes Saturday-Tuesday for example which made building momentum difficult. In Clarke's case last season I thought it showed his inexperience of the Championship.

I'm expecting Brian to be appointed in the next 24 hours or so, so it's going to be a massive let-down if we appoint someone else, especially as I'm planning to get tickets for the Blackburn game later today.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 14 Dec 2015 14:30

paddy20 Heard from someone supposed to be ITK that De-Canio is being considered - don't shoot messenger just passing it

Look at betting odds now??on

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Dec 2015 14:41

Di Cannio would surely be the least Reading compatible manager imaginable. A combustible self-avowed fascist with a record of pissing everyone off that makes Snowball look easy going.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Dec 2015 14:45

Di Canio isn't odds on. No one's offering a price on him, so it's showing as 1/100.

Jano

by Jano » 14 Dec 2015 14:46

Aaron Kuhl has returned from his loan, wonder if that is anything to do with what's going on.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Dec 2015 14:49

Armadillo Roadkill Di Cannio would surely be the least Reading compatible manager imaginable. A combustible self-avowed fascist with a record of pissing everyone off that makes Snowball look easy going.

But what a roller coaster ride it'd be....

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 14 Dec 2015 14:50

Lacoste Betfair have Di Canio as 1/100 favourite. Surely that's wrong?

I saw that and chose to pretend I hadn't! Put it down to a very bad hallucination!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Dec 2015 14:51

Jano Aaron Kuhl has returned from his loan, wonder if that is anything to do with what's going on.

Have betfair got him in the running, probably be their next favourite after di canio and luis.

1226 posts