Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
Rollerbob

Re: Welcome back Brian?

by Rollerbob » 15 Dec 2015 16:29

So, assuming we don't have a manager for tomorrow and we appoint someone by Sunday, the new manager will have just over half a season to get us into the playoffs.

Usually 76 points gets you playoffs safely.

We're on 27 points. Lets say we lose tomorrow (sorry for being negative*).. So we'll be on 27 points after 21 games. We'll still need 49 points.... *gulp*

In other words.. we need around 49 points from 25 games. Sigh.

17 wins will get us there, out of the remaining fixtures. Seems somewhat unrealistic. 14 wins and 7 draws would get us there, but that means only 2 losses.

...We aren't getting playoffs. Unless there is a very low playoff pointy count.

I say go for the 17 wins - go all out attack every game. Lots of goals, lots of losses, but some big wins.... maybe. Maybe we shouldn't have gotten rid of Clarke? ;)

*realistic

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 15 Dec 2015 17:05

wingnut
Coppelled_Streets
Hoop Blah If the owners of a club aren't fully behind a manager it won't end well.

That and the fans being split on him as well.

The fans will be split whoever gets appointed.

Of course they will, but this time a good 40% or more of them wanted him sacked. The various polls suggest that percentage hasn't changed much. So the knifes will be out at the first sign of struggle. BM will be taking on a monumental task here!

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 15 Dec 2015 17:11

If you run a poll after whoever gets appointed, at least 40% of folk on here will think he's not the right man.

The last time Brian got the job, the vast majority on here thought it was a terrible, cheap appointment. I'd say this time around, his support will probably be better based on his track record.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 15 Dec 2015 17:19

wingnut If you run a poll after whoever gets appointed, at least 40% of folk on here will think he's not the right man.

The last time Brian got the job, the vast majority on here thought it was a terrible, cheap appointment. I'd say this time around, his support will probably be better based on his track record.

Do you believe those that wanted him sacked a few years ago will be happy to see him back? It's a very mixed set of opinions out there. It wont take much of a bad run for the dick heads to start the #McDermottOut campaign. I'd love him to do well here (again), but I think it's up against it this time around and where as in the past play-offs and promotion were nice to have, now they're a must have.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 15 Dec 2015 17:26

Coppelled_Streets
wingnut If you run a poll after whoever gets appointed, at least 40% of folk on here will think he's not the right man.

Do you believe those that wanted him sacked a few years ago will be happy to see him back? It's a very mixed set of opinions out there.

There's a very mixed set of opinions in your posts.

Some will, some won't.

This place rarely accurately reflects the opinions of the wider fanbase.

Some will stamp their feet and froth at their mouths at the first defeat - but, as I said, it'll be no different regardless of who gets the job and, if it's Brian, it'll be no different to the last time he got the gig.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 15 Dec 2015 17:27

The recent polls on here and Reading post would suggest that the fans are about 75-25 in favour of Brian returning. To be honest I doubt that any manager would get a much better positive rating than that and when Clarke was appointed I think it was more like 60-40 in favour if I recall rightly but he turned opinion positive with the FA Cup run (and then ruined it by seeing Fulham).

Results are "all" when it comes to it. A few wins and everyone will be behind Brian - a few defeats and he will have a struggle to convince our fickle fans

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 15 Dec 2015 17:34

Brian McDermott's Reading FC return edging closer - https://t.co/yxgB6Rlw10

Latest GetReading poll:

67% - in favour
33% - not in favour

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 15 Dec 2015 18:19

windermere_royal The Thai`s are the owners, so they should have the final say

The Thai's what are the owners? (Or did you mean the Thais - note no apostrophe needed).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Dec 2015 18:42

Coppelled_Streets

Do you believe those that wanted him sacked a few years ago will be happy to see him back? It's a very mixed set of opinions out there. It wont take much of a bad run for the dick heads to start the #McDermottOut campaign. I'd love him to do well here (again), but I think it's up against it this time around and where as in the past play-offs and promotion were nice to have, now they're a must have.

Lots of them, yes. Many have openly stated it on here already.

And I'd expect the vast majority to back him and see how he does if he was appointed, regardless of whether they thought he was a good appointment or not.

Coppelled_Streets Brian McDermott's Reading FC return edging closer - https://t.co/yxgB6Rlw10

Latest GetReading poll:

67% - in favour
33% - not in favour

So it's gone 7 points in his favour whilst no one knows if we'll get him or not. Oh woe.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 15 Dec 2015 19:09

andrew1957 wrote:
The recent polls on here and Reading post would suggest that the fans are about 75-25 in favour of Brian returning. To be honest I doubt that any manager would get a much better positive rating than that and when Clarke was appointed I think it was more like 60-40 in favour if I recall rightly but he turned opinion positive with the FA Cup run (and then ruined it by seeing Fulham).

Results are "all" when it comes to it. A few wins and everyone will be behind Brian - a few defeats and he will have a struggle to convince our fickle fans

Hit, nail and head being the operative words to sum up this post.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 15 Dec 2015 19:15

He will need to win games so it's a good thing he has the second best win ratio in the club's history. Second to Alan Pardew and in ahead of Sir Steve.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Dec 2015 19:26

And still no manager appointed. The club is turning into a bad joke. Why get rid of a manager without having a replacement lined up? Madness.

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 15 Dec 2015 19:37

Terminal Boardom Why get rid of a manager without having a replacement lined up?

I agree with the sentiment, but assume that they had the majority of their "customer" base calling for his head based on Fulhamgate, and then continued poor results, so decided to bow to that pressure and then take time in seeing who was available.

Sacking a manager then looking around is not that uncommon these days - dependent on the reason for the decision to sack him in the first place of course.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Dec 2015 19:51

Hopeful
Terminal Boardom Why get rid of a manager without having a replacement lined up?

I agree with the sentiment, but assume that they had the majority of their "customer" base calling for his head based on Fulhamgate, and then continued poor results, so decided to bow to that pressure and then take time in seeing who was available.

Sacking a manager then looking around is not that uncommon these days - dependent on the reason for the decision to sack him in the first place of course.

The opening of the transfer window gets nearer and nearer which results in less time for a new man to assess the squad he inherits. Utterly stupid and almost a kiss goodbye to this season.

tonyrfc

by tonyrfc » 15 Dec 2015 19:56

Oilroyal He will need to win games so it's a good thing he has the second best win ratio in the club's history. Second to Alan Pardew and in ahead of Sir Steve.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 15 Dec 2015 20:25

tonyrfc
Oilroyal He will need to win games so it's a good thing he has the second best win ratio in the club's history. Second to Alan Pardew and in ahead of Sir Steve.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

Fair enough. Who do you consider a better option than BM. Would be interested to know your first choice.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 Dec 2015 20:29

Terminal Boardom
Hopeful

The opening of the transfer window gets nearer and nearer which results in less time for a new man to assess the squad he inherits. Utterly stupid and almost a kiss goodbye to this season.

Options are normally limited in the January transfer window. Just need to get the injured players back and match fit.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Dec 2015 20:40

Coppelled_Streets

A bit revisionist. I remember there being plenty of pressure for us to be challenging at the top end of the Championship table. In fact, there has been ever since 08/09 imo.

Archer

by Archer » 15 Dec 2015 20:51

Almost like there is nobody to make the decision.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Dec 2015 20:52

genome
Coppelled_Streets

A bit revisionist. I remember there being plenty of pressure for us to be challenging at the top end of the Championship table. In fact, there has been ever since 02/03 imo.

fixed

1226 posts